Jake Shields gets his BJJ Black Belt under Cesar Gracie

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jake Shields gets his BJJ Black Belt under Cesar Gracie
ufc88
2/26/08 10:38:05PM
congrats to jake - the most under-appreciated fighter in the world imo

http://www.proelite.com/home

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
gartface
2/26/08 10:40:56PM
Congratulations, hopefully someday soon he'll be fighting in a Zuffa organization, and really getting to test his merit.
TimW001
2/26/08 11:33:42PM
Yes good for him! And yea ^
McBee
2/27/08 12:06:46AM

Posted by ufc88

congrats to jake - the most under-appreciated fighter in the world imo

http://www.proelite.com/home

he is not underappreicated he just fights in EliteXC where he cannot be supremely tested, he needs to fight Frank Trigg or Robbie Lawler but they are in MW now. He would get handled by most UFC welter weight. I might be able to beat Sanchez but not Koscheck Fitch or the top tier WW, the Elit XC is a curse that will never get him the respect he might be able to gain. Great win over Verrismo
ufc88
2/27/08 12:10:21AM
im sorry but i think he would beat somebody like koscheck or fitch or karo
it could go either way but hes up there with the best
Kpro
2/27/08 12:11:34AM

Posted by McBee

He would get handled by most UFC welter weight.

I completely disagree. I don't think that Shields would get handled by ANY UFC welterweights, and would in fact shoot straight to a title shot in the UFC.
RMFG_187
2/27/08 1:01:12AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by McBee

I completely disagree. I don't think that Shields would get handled by ANY UFC welterweights, and would in fact shoot straight to a title shot in the UFC.

I have a lot of respect for shields. Great Champ. But theres a time where u have too draw a line in the sand. GSP, Hugues, Fitch, Kos, Davis would run straight through Shields. Shields still has a lot more years ahead of himself, but as of now, he is not in top 5. He is Top 10 tho.
Shawn17
2/27/08 1:05:51AM
Nobody would run straight throught jake shields. Dont let the UFC hype machine blind you, there are great fighters outside the UFC.
whardin19
2/27/08 7:14:55AM
I'm not sure Shields would get handled by any of the welterweights in the UFC. That's not to say he would be the best either. Top 10 I could see.
babytater03
2/27/08 7:49:31AM
He may do well in the UFC, but the GSP wall is thick and tall. I doubt he's strong enough to get over it.
McBee
2/27/08 10:34:36AM

Posted by Shawn17

Nobody would run straight throught jake shields. Dont let the UFC hype machine blind you, there are great fighters outside the UFC.

This is such a stupid statement it pains me to reply to it, a monopoly is a monopoly for a reason. Sure there might be great fighters outside of the UFC but they can not prove such outside of the UFC unless things change, right now you cannot be called top 5 in the welterweight divison unless you fight in the UFC. I will give Sheilds respect and talk about what could be but if all you can say is that he beat Mike Pyle and Renato you cannot say he would do anything in the UFC. PROVE IT!!!!!!!!!!
McBee
2/27/08 10:37:20AM

Posted by RMFG_187

Posted by Kpro

Posted by McBee

I have a lot of respect for shields. Great Champ. But theres a time where u have too draw a line in the sand. GSP, Hugues, Fitch, Kos, Davis would run straight through Shields. Shields still has a lot more years ahead of himself, but as of now, he is not in top 5. He is Top 10 tho.

I think Sheilds would handle Davis, I think Sanchex would handle Davis, I cannot beleive Davis is in the top team from beasting a bunch of brits.
silverbullet
2/27/08 11:32:11AM
Shields has a decision win over Okami, which puts him up there with the best in my book.
McBee
2/27/08 11:45:25AM

Posted by silverbullet

Shields has a decision win over Okami, which puts him up there with the best in my book.

Okami is decent but not great if he wants to go to the MW division but with the WW he will meet greatness at every turn. Swick is not amazing and could have pulled that fight off, Okami tried to say that the Swick fight should have been stop when he was massaging Swick's face, Okami cannot finish! and could be finished with a few well placed strikes. Again Sheilds is good but beating Okami does not mean much in the WW division.
RMFG_187
2/27/08 12:33:47PM
a win over a fighter who is (IMO) not top 5 MW. It was also a decision win, which if i recall was 29-28. not saying that he shouldn't have won. but its not like he beat him by much of a margin. Shields is a top tier fighter, just not at the Elite UFC level YET. would love too see him fight Serra.
McBee
2/27/08 12:35:39PM

Posted by RMFG_187

a win over a fighter who is (IMO) not top 5 MW. It was also a decision win, which if i recall was 29-28. not saying that he shouldn't have won. but its not like he beat him by much of a margin. Shields is a top tier fighter, just not at the Elite UFC level YET. would love too see him fight Serra.

great fight suggestion, old guard versus the new Gracie Fighter vs Gracie Fighter
quezocrema0032
2/27/08 3:26:33PM
He's top 10 ... but deff not top 5 he might be able 2 beat serra but deff not huges st pierre kos fitch ... and diego and karo are on the fence hes good but i really wanna see him and condit move on up 2 the UFC i wanna see what these guys are made of
McBee
2/27/08 4:49:41PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

He's top 10 ... but deff not top 5 he might be able 2 beat serra but deff not huges st pierre kos fitch ... and diego and karo are on the fence hes good but i really wanna see him and condit move on up 2 the UFC i wanna see what these guys are made of

another great match answer a lot of questions, Condit is slick but Sheilds has slickness and strength, I think Sheilds would take it, I have no clue who would win him vs Kos or Sanchez though.