What to do with Jake Shields?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What to do with Jake Shields?
POLL: What should the UFC do with Jake Shields
Give him the easiest (and yet believable) road to a title shot so GSP can dominate 18% (5)
Throw him to the wolves (Fitch, Kos, Alves) so they can chew him up and spit him out 71% (20)
Give him Don King so he can use Shields as a stepping stone to a title shot 11% (3)
Jackelope
7/16/10 12:00:45PM
With his recent signing (keep in mind that I've yet to see it confirmed by the UFC) I got to wondering what would be the smarter move for the UFC.

Do you all think it would be smarter for the UFC to build him up and get him a title shot very quickly, or to throw him to the wolves immediately so he can be crushed and never achieve a title shot?

I figure there's two ways to look at it- Here comes this SF champ who achieved dominance in other orgs. Does the UFC stand to gain more by making their guy GSP look great by having him dominate that other org's champ, or do they gain more by having him get crushed by competition that isn't even championship caliber comp therefore making Strikeforce as a whole look terrible?

Personally, I figure it this way and make the above statements based on this opinion-

#1- He's a good fighter, but I don't think he has a marketable style for the average fan

#2- IMO he won't beat GSP. For that matter I'm speaking from the opinion that he won't beat the top 3 of the division.
RyanC
7/16/10 12:13:12PM
Throw him to the wolves. I want nothing more than to see him quickly dispatched in the UFC. Preferably by someone like Thiago Alves or JKos who will stuff his takedowns and punch him in the face. I would even settle for Fitch to turn the tables on him and put him on his back for 15 minutes while pummeling him into mush.

I don't really think that is what the UFC will do though. I think they want Shields to get a crack at GSP, and maybe they will give him GSP right away rather than risk Shields losing to someone else. If he loses to GSP they can still have him fight other high level WW's since losing to GSP is not a shameful occurence.
emfleek
7/16/10 12:15:33PM
I think they're going to build him up and work towards a shot at GSP. Or maybe they're looking to add talent into the mix to prepare for GSP possibly moving to 185 after the fight with Kos.

There's really no money to be made by simply proving a point (assuming they throw him to the wolves just so he loses).
RyanC
7/16/10 12:27:32PM

Posted by emfleek

I think they're going to build him up and work towards a shot at GSP. Or maybe they're looking to add talent into the mix to prepare for GSP possibly moving to 185 after the fight with Kos.

There's really no money to be made by simply proving a point (assuming they throw him to the wolves just so he loses).

What I want doesn't make any good business sense, but that's why I'm not running things.
Twenty20Dollars
7/16/10 12:27:58PM
Feed him to the wolves and I hope the wolves tear him apart.
Jackelope
7/16/10 12:32:13PM

Posted by RyanC

Posted by emfleek

What I want doesn't make any good business sense, but that's why I'm not running things.

Sure it does. Not that the UFC really feels a threat from Strikeforce anymore, (or ever, really) but it's again proven brand dominance. Reinforcing your brand is very important no matter who you are. Head to head competition and squashing the comp has been a marketing strategy used time and time again. You see car companies doing head to head comparisons and using the results to improve their name brand and hurt the other name brand all the time.
SpiderSilva
7/16/10 12:33:34PM
give home the winner of fitch alvez on the same card as gsp koscheck dude imo has done enough to be right there going in the UFC
RyanC
7/16/10 12:50:29PM

Posted by Jackelope
Sure it does. Not that the UFC really feels a threat from Strikeforce anymore, (or ever, really) but it's again proven brand dominance. Reinforcing your brand is very important no matter who you are. Head to head competition and squashing the comp has been a marketing strategy used time and time again. You see car companies doing head to head comparisons and using the results to improve their name brand and hurt the other name brand all the time.

I guess from that point of view it does make sense, but they would'nt really get much run out of the signing if he gets beat right out of the gates. I was also just thinking how much it would validate Dana's non signing of Dan Henderson if Shields got smashed by one of the UFC's welterweights right away.
cowcatcher
7/16/10 1:17:45PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

give home the winner of fitch alvez on the same card as gsp koscheck

i dont hate this at all.
Violence108
7/16/10 4:27:54PM
let him fight Martin Kampmann, or the winner of Fitch /Alves . Then we will see what the rest of the ww divison looks like after that. He might not even be fighting gsp for the title, Koscheck might have it
Boo_Radley21
7/16/10 6:45:06PM
I say give him anyone in the top 5 that isn't GSP
sbulldavid
7/16/10 7:00:11PM
I don't know what to expect from Shields, but his BJJ and wrestling is at the top of the food chain at 170, I think he is top five but, that lack of stand-up is going to lose him a match or two that he should win.
Pookie
7/16/10 8:42:26PM
Id give him Diego Sanchez.

I dont think he has a chance against Alves or Koscheck
emfleek
7/16/10 9:08:54PM

Posted by Pookie

Id give him a Dirty Sanchez.

jae_1833
7/17/10 10:51:30PM
I'd move him up in the normal format (by winning) starting with Kampmann, then if he earns it against a top guy for the #1 contendarship.....just because he used to fight in SF and was champ there doesn't mean that he deserves an easy or harder road than any other fighter in the UFC. You have to make it past Fitch/Alves winnerr to earn the title in the WW div and everyone knows it.
prozacnation1978
7/18/10 9:28:32AM
My guess is probably gonna be right
Vs kammpman in la in oct

I would say diego. But seriously think he will go back down to lightweight
hate4thestate
7/18/10 1:13:46PM
wow. im still suprised at all the shields hate. he keeps proving everyone wrong and yet still ges not respect. dude just beat hendo in his 3rd fight at 185. if he can out wrestle hendo the way he did, i doubt hell have as much problems as everyone thinks he will. hes gonna dominate kampmann then probably beat alves or fitch and fight gsp. quote me now for this is the prophecy.... shields will beat gsp in 2011. talk all the **** you want i dont care. ive been right about shields everytime and people kept telling me im wrong. so remember this... shields will be ww champ in 2011.
copcopps
7/18/10 7:05:47PM
Kampmann and if he wins give him winner of DHK and Hathaway