Jake Shields in the UFC???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Jake Shields in the UFC???
POLL: How far would Shields go in the UFC WW division?
would just stay in the top ten 17% (7)
Would make it to fight a contender then lose 34% (14)
Would become #1 contender but lose to GSP 41% (17)
Would become champion!!! 7% (3)
CaranoGirl
4/19/10 5:26:16PM
Just wondering how far you guys think Shields would make it in the UFC as a WW. Let me know what you think of him in the MW division as well.
vinny_cro_cop_q
4/19/10 5:39:36PM
Top tier guy easily. Beatin GSP? Highly doubt it. As for MW theres a number of fights I think would be pretty interesting to see
mrsmiley
4/19/10 6:14:26PM
I think he would do very well within in the UFC. A safe bet for number one contender.Could he get past GSP? I think as of now it's straight up 50/50. If Shields can't get a takedown than GSP may do 3X the damage Hendo brought on Shields in Nashville. It wouldn't be a pretty night for him. Could GSP stuff jakes takedowns and vice versa? Both guys have such dominant wrestling it's hard to see either one sucumbing to the others grappling skills. Which makes me think GSP's striking is what would give him the edge if this bout where to happen. I see him working the first 2 rounds feeling out Shields and his timing. Waiting for the TD attempts. Being very cautious not to come to action too fast.

Once St.Pierre was to find a rythem behind Jakes shoot,he would then pace a striking game with cerbral timing. Unleashing small,compact combinations whenever possible and using every cage clinch to his advantage. By late in the fourth Shields would wear down a little from numerous takedown attempts and countless combinations set up by GSP. GSP would proabably continue to play it safe though he may unwind one or two big shots in an attempt to finish some time deep into round 5. My vote goes UD for GSP against shields who would grind his away against most the competition put before him until GSP.
kopower
4/19/10 7:05:19PM
If he were to fight GSP, he would get picked apart on the feet. Shields striking isn't the best and I could see Georges standing and dominating the stand up. St. Pierre is too athletic for Jake and Shields would have a hell of a time trying to take him down. I could actually see GSP dropping him and finishing with some brutal gnp.

I think Shields would be a top 5 fighter in the division. The bad thing is that the 170 lb division is loaded with top level wrestlers. He would have his hands full with Kos and Fitch before thinking of beating St. Pierre.
Caesarrrr
4/19/10 7:33:05PM
Honestly I'm not sure, I've never personally seen shields wrestling against a top tier wrestler, other than Hendo. If he could out wrestle Fitch or Kos, I'd give him all of my support against GSP. However, if he can't take GSP down he'll get peppered with shots, maybe even finished.
Twenty20Dollars
4/19/10 8:57:33PM
Wouldnt mind seeing Fitch vs Shields @ WW but other than that I dont really care for shields.
sbulldavid
4/19/10 11:03:22PM
I think at middleweight he'd lose to Maia and Silva as well as Vitor, but he'd have a chance against Vitor. At welterweight he'd become a major player and put on some very good fights, but does welterweight really need more boring wrestlers. Well Shields has better finishing skills than those other wrestlers, he would add a huge spark to the division and he might be bumped to the top being that he is the StrikeForce middleweight champion and I think he could make it a fight after watching him beat Henderson, he might even win a round.
TheGodfather1024
4/20/10 1:58:20AM
How would he be the number one contender??? IMO Silva, Belfort, Marquardt, and Sonnen would all tear him up. I think that Bisping, Belcher, and Sexyama could also beat him.
State_Champ
4/20/10 7:47:22AM

Posted by TheGodfather1024

How would he be the number one contender??? IMO Silva, Belfort, Marquardt, and Sonnen would all tear him up. I think that Bisping, Belcher, and Sexyama could also beat him.

WW
AchillesHeel
4/20/10 9:09:07AM
I think Shields could earn a title shot in the UFC with one tuneup fight. I don't know how he'd beat GSP, but then, I didn't know how he was going to beat Hendo either.

I think he would slot in amongst Fitch, Alves and Koscheck, and a match with any of them would be a toss-up. His wrestling would be way too much for Hardy or Daley (who he defeated already, about 18 months ago). The rest of the UFC's welterweights could catch Shields sleeping, but I wouldn't give them more than a 1-in-5 shot. It's almost true already that if you don't have top-notch wrestling you can forget about competing for the UFC's Welterweight title. If Shields joins the party, it'll only get harder.

By the way, if Shields drops back down to 170, he'll be one of the biggest guys in the division too. Anthony Johnson and Ben Saunders are skyscrapers, relatively speaking (6'2"? 6'3"?), but I think the Strikeforce broadcast had Shields at 6'. I think that gives him a couple of inches over Koscheck, GSP and Alves.
DCRage
4/20/10 9:19:01AM
Some people (at least one certain writer who calls himself "Nostradumbass") was saying on Pro MMA Radio last night that if he were to go to UFC, he probably should get GSP right away because he'd probably be a good match for him with his wrestling. I personally think he would be Top 5 right away with his wrestling and ground game, but I still want to see him really work on improving his striking.
Caesarrrr
4/20/10 5:56:17PM
He is huge for a WW, and he's got more muscle now, so he'd definitely be a force to be reckoned with. I also wonder if he'll be rocked as much at WW, since he won't be getting tagged with an MW power.
BustedKnuckle
4/20/10 6:10:36PM
It all depends on which weight class he opts to fight in most. Either way the champion of both WW, and MW destroy him. His Jits is good, but not great, his striking is definatly lacking. He beat Hendo and I'll give him props for that, but I am on the fence still with this guy.
Pookie
4/20/10 6:21:50PM

Lets not forget: Rampage, Machida, Shogun, and Brock Lesnar would probably all beat him too.
seanfu
5/3/10 3:43:26AM

Posted by Pookie

Lets not forget: Rampage, Machida, Shogun, and Brock Lesnar would probably all beat him too.

Not to mention Bigfoot.
emfleek
5/3/10 9:07:06AM

Posted by seanfu

Not to mention Bigfoot.

No way. Shields would dry hump Bigfoot into submission.
runningman08
5/4/10 1:48:30AM
I think jake will make a impact in the UFC but i still dont think he is there yet with his striking and if he ever fights a guy with amazing take down defense then he is kind of screwed.