Jake Ellenberger vs. Martin Kampmann Set as Main Event for TUF Live Finale [POLL]

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jake Ellenberger vs. Martin Kampmann Set as Main Event for TUF Live Finale [POLL]
POLL: Who wins?
Kampmann TKO/KO 9% (4)
Kampmann SUB 12% (5)
Kampmann Decision 14% (6)
Ellenberger TKO/KO 21% (9)
Ellenberger SUB 0% (0)
Ellenberger Decision 44% (19)
Poor_Franklin
3/21/12 2:40:19PM
There’s a title shot waiting for the winner of a blockbuster summer match-up as Jake Ellenberger will meet Martin Kampmann at the Ultimate Fighter Live Finale June 1.

The UFC made the fight official on Wednesday with bout agreements to be issued shortly.

MMAWEEKLY
airkerma
3/21/12 2:52:45PM
Hmm I think I know which way you voted P_F . I was going with Kampmann as well with a UD but I think if Eberger get's in trouble he will run him into the wall and eventually get the TD. If he stands too long, Kampmann should display his superior standup.
pmoney
3/21/12 3:09:48PM
Daaaamn! This is an awesome fight. Tough to call a winner. Jake has impressive hand speed, IMO, and substantial power. Kampmann has what many would consider the striking advantage. He also has some of the best takedown defense in MMA, IMO.

Pretty pissed off though, because I take this to mean Condit is sitting out with a pointless interim belt.
Theoutlaw08
3/21/12 3:17:17PM
I think Ellenberger takes in UD. No way Kampmann takes it TKO, he doesnt have the power to finish. Only way he wins is if he hooks in a sub like against Alves.
Budgellism
3/21/12 3:22:23PM
Hell of a fight!

My early thoughts are that Ellenberger has what it takes to pull it off.
prophecy033
3/21/12 3:34:00PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I think Ellenberger takes in UD. No way Kampmann takes it TKO, he doesnt have the power to finish. Only way he wins is if he hooks in a sub like against Alves.

What? Kampmann most definetly can win by ko/tko not just by sub. And he also has enough power. With all that said, I got Ellenberger winning by UD
sparky
3/21/12 4:01:59PM
I can see this fight going a lot of different ways.

If it goes the distance I say Ellenburger takes it. They both have good striking. Martin is the more polished stand up fighter, but I would go with Ellenburger has more power. Submission edge definitely goes to Kampmann but I honestly dont think that you will see anyone getting tapped in this fight.
Bubbles
3/21/12 4:06:43PM
I dont find Kampmann anything more than a fringe top 10 WW at best - and that is because he capitalized on Alves' brainfart. imo Ellenberger is a much better fighter and should take this via decision
TheCatFather
3/21/12 4:35:50PM
Jake Ellenberger should get the winner of Kos and Hendricks if Condit is going to sit out until Nov. I think Ellenberger is going to take it if he don't "Alves" his chances at the end.
FastKnockout
3/21/12 4:36:20PM
If Kampmann beats Ellenberger (doubt he will) I would only be excited for Condit vs. Kampmann. In no way, shape, or form do I want to see GSP vs. Kampmann.
Poor_Franklin
3/21/12 4:36:50PM
Gotta go Jake UD. As long as it's a good fight, I dont care how this ends. I like both of these guys a lot!
icantthinkofanything
3/21/12 4:45:07PM
I am surprised to hear about this match-up.

Gsp VS Condit seems likely

so the winner of this should be the number 1 contender,

too bad Jonny Hendricks is already booked.

Maybe Condit can outpoint GSP like he did Diaz. I think GSP would not take him down and could put pressure on where Carlos could cut angles and pick his shots the smart but not as exciting game-plan that got him the belt. Not many people ever get to face GSp or fight for a belt, i can see why Condit might not wanna defend the interim belt, if waiteing an extra few months will give him the oppurtunity to possibly ko or out point the real champ.

I would think that Ellenberger could get the TKO stoppage , but I think Diego showed if you can get Ellenberger down, than Ellenberger can stopped, and Kampman is really good at subs and control, so my pick is Kampman wins by sub or decision
pmoney
3/21/12 5:41:55PM

Posted by FastKnockout

If Kampmann beats Ellenberger (doubt he will) I would only be excited for Condit vs. Kampmann. In no way, shape, or form do I want to see GSP vs. Kampmann.

Why are you against GSP-Kampmann? I don't recall Kampmann in a boring fight ever. GSP on the other hand.... I give Kampmann a good shot against GSP. I can see him sprawling an brawling, getting sweeps, and potentially KO'ing Rush.
Pookie
3/21/12 5:44:43PM

Posted by Bubbles

I dont find Kampmann anything more than a fringe top 10 WW at best - and that is because he capitalized on Alves' brainfart. imo Ellenberger is a much better fighter and should take this via decision

I'm think the total inverse.
ruyen
3/21/12 6:34:09PM
I'm really surprised so many are picking Jake by dec. How can he go 5 rounds when he only went 2 with Diego before gassing? I say if he doesn't finish by the 2nd, he loses, probably by sub or dec when Martin takes over.
Bubbles
3/21/12 10:49:08PM

Posted by ruyen

I'm really surprised so many are picking Jake by dec. How can he go 5 rounds when he only went 2 with Diego before gassing? I say if he doesn't finish by the 2nd, he loses, probably by sub or dec when Martin takes over.

a gameplan for a 3 round fight is much different than a 5 round fight. Kampmann wasn't looking too fresh after 10 min vs Alves either so it goes both ways
rush13
3/22/12 2:53:31AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by ruyen

a gameplan for a 3 round fight is much different than a 5 round fight. Kampmann wasn't looking too fresh after 10 min vs Alves either so it goes both ways

Both make good points...if there is a stoppage its either Ellenberger (T)KO or Kampmann sub obviously but if it goes the distance the odds-makers will favor Kampmann I believe.

Good match-up even tho I thought Ellenberger was gonna get the winner of Kos/Hendricks to determine the #1 contender for GSP/Condit.
Poor_Franklin
3/22/12 4:51:42AM
how can you judge a fighter on a 5 round basis when he is only training for 3 rounds?

is he supposed to save gas in the tank for when the fight is over so he can brag about all the extra energy he would have had it gone 5 rounds?

UFC_Fanatic
3/22/12 5:28:15AM

Posted by rush13

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by ruyen

Both make good points...if there is a stoppage its either Ellenberger (T)KO or Kampmann sub obviously but if it goes the distance the odds-makers will favor Kampmann I believe.

Good match-up even tho I thought Ellenberger was gonna get the winner of Kos/Hendricks to determine the #1 contender for GSP/Condit.

I don't see why odds makers would favor Kampmann by decision. Decisions haven't been Kampmann's friend as of late. See any number of controversial decision losses in Kampmann's recent history, i.e. Sanchez vs Kampmann for starters.
jjeans
3/22/12 5:59:15AM
You guys all answered a lot of my questions already with the 5 round fight etc.

I think this is actually a very winnable fight for Kampmann, his stand up isn't the best but it is fluid whereas Jakes is more looking for the couple of bombs. If he wants to leave his guard as open as he did against Sanchez he might have some problems. I don't think Jake has the control to pin Kampmann down for 5 minutes let alone 15 or even 25. Jakes best chance in this fight is to try and land the big bombs. I don't think you should read to much into Ellenbergers win against Shields as Shields TDO isn't the best, his single leg might be but if you go through a training camp you'd just learn to defend the single and I think thats what Akiyama and Ellenberger did.

Ellenberger didn't even find much success in taking down Sanchez attempted 2 landed 8. But Kampmann was able to defend 11 of 15 of Shields takedowns and 14 of Sanchez's 15 takedowns, I'm not trying to say these men have fantastic TDO but Kampmann has proven he's not easy to pull or drag down.

Kampmann looked poor against perhaps the best striker in the Welterweight division and landed a total of 47 strikes, Ellenberger looked better than average against a man who only seems to get better on the feet but has never looked more than wild on the feet and was able to land a total of 62 strikes.

I think this will be a case of a wrestler being to comfortable in the stand up until the 3rd, 4th 5th rounds whereby it will be too late as Kampmann will have already worn him down and gotten the timing on the Takedowns etc.

Thats just my feeling and opinion though, and statistics taken from FightMetric.
rush13
3/22/12 8:12:30AM
I don't see why odds makers would favor Kampmann by decision. Decisions haven't been Kampmann's friend as of late. See any number of controversial decision losses in Kampmann's recent history, i.e. Sanchez vs Kampmann for starters.

I think they would favor Kampmann IF the fight goes to a decision cuz Ellenberger has a questionable gas-tank...dont forget that Ellenberger's UFC debut against Condit was a controversial split-decision loss.
Sir_Karl
3/22/12 8:21:23AM
I like both fighters but I will be rooting for Kampmann. I hope he can somehow pull it off. He didn't look very good in his last fight and I feel he got a little lucky. He needs to get his sh*t together against Ellenberger.
State_Champ
3/22/12 9:02:03AM
I want to say Ellenberger, but Kampmann is hard to finish and has decent endurance.
Ellenberger has tended to fade after round 2, and he did not impress much in his fight with Diego.

I doubt Ellenberger finished Kampmann (though I hope for a KO), and I know Ellenberger has gassed a bit in the past, but I'll cautiously take Ellenberger by UD.