Jake Ellenberger vs. Diego Sanchez to headline Feb. 15 UFC event on FUEL TV

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jake Ellenberger vs. Diego Sanchez to headline Feb. 15 UFC event on FUEL TV
Budgellism
11/29/11 2:53:24PM
A key welterweight matchup between Jake Ellenberger (26-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC) and Diego Sanchez (23-4 MMA, 12-4 UFC) has been scheduled for February.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with sources close to the event that Ellenberger and Sanchez will headline an as-yet-unannounced fight card expected to take place on Wednesday, Feb. 15.

While UFC brass have yet to make an official announcement, additional sources indicated that the event will likely take place in Ellenberger's hometown of Omaha, Neb., and air on FUEL TV.

Omaha's 18,000-seat CenturyLink Center (formerly Qwest Center Omaha) is said to be the leading candidate to host the event, but venue officials declined to comment on the potential booking.

LINK
FastKnockout
11/29/11 3:08:49PM
Can't argue with this main event.
airkerma
11/29/11 3:40:04PM
Agreed. I would go ahead and predict a KOTN or FOTN being awarded for this fight, depending on how it ends. Either way I think Jake manhandles Deigo
Chael_Sonnen
11/29/11 3:50:42PM
Diego will have to change his nickname again after Jake cremates him.
Geoffo
11/29/11 3:54:52PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Diego will have to change his nickname again after Jake cremates him.

Diego "The Daydreamer" Sanchez
prophecy033
11/29/11 5:20:44PM
I hope Jake makes him scream "NO"
shaneTpain
11/29/11 5:48:02PM
chittttt
Diegos on his way out & Jakes on his way in . Gonna be a barn burner
sbulldavid
11/29/11 7:22:39PM
I think Ellenberger will be the clear favorite, but I'm not going to dismiss Diego because I think he takes a decision if Ellenberger turns it into a boxing match.
prozacnation1978
11/29/11 7:24:26PM
I love the fight but now am getting worried tha pay per views are
Gonna be watered down alot
Bubbles
11/29/11 8:47:57PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I love the fight but now am getting worried tha pay per views are
Gonna be watered down alot

with a card virtually every other weekend and them pushing their product on FOX, yes some PPVs are bound to be weaker. fans want more fights, Dana wants more fights, therefore some watered down cards will happen.

think of it like expansion teams in other sports. 30-32 teams is a lot and every team has its share of below average talent. back when there was 20 teams, for example, the talent on each roster was much better overall. but more teams = more games, more games generate more revenue, and us fans love the abundance of it.. MMA, but more so the UFC, its the same way
Adrenaline
11/29/11 11:39:59PM
Great fight but I just see Ellenberger steam rolling through Diego at this point in thier careers.
SamPan
11/30/11 12:09:48AM
Ellenberger should get the UD. That said, Diego's got a better chance of finishing.
Adrenaline
11/30/11 3:27:25AM

Posted by SamPan

Ellenberger should get the UD. That said, Diego's got a better chance of finishing.

You may be right, Diego is always dangerous but he has not finished a fight since 2008 and Ellenberger has stopped his opponent in 4 out of his last 5 victories. Not that that really means much in a fight but I don't really expect Diego to finish people anymore, lately he has been the one taking massive amounts of punishment to squeak out close victories.
40ouncetpkid
11/30/11 8:31:42AM
I actually think Diego is going to win here. I cant believe how many people aré counting him out. I think kampman would have whoopped jakes ass too. Diego is better on the ground. Jake isnt as dangerous technically as kampman but has more power. But diego has still never been stopped. He has such a sick chin and iron will and heart. Jake might hurt him and dominate the first. But diego will take the last two he never stops coming. Rocha took it to jake. Diego is so much better.
State_Champ
11/30/11 8:41:55AM

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

I actually think Diego is going to win here. I cant believe how many people aré counting him out. I think kampman would have whoopped jakes ass too. Diego is better on the ground. Jake isnt as dangerous technically as kampman but has more power. But diego has still never been stopped. He has such a sick chin and iron will and heart. Jake might hurt him and dominate the first. But diego will take the last two he never stops coming. Rocha took it to jake. Diego is so much better.

You think Kampmann would whoop Jake Ellenberger?
40ouncetpkid
11/30/11 11:49:10AM
Who has jake schooled in striking on kampmans level? Jake wouldnt be able to keep kampman on his back and lnp like he did to howard when he was scared to strike. Kampman would box his ears off.

Who has jake even smashed through besides jake shields who just lost his dad. Diegos more aggressive faster and explosive not to mention he took it to marloe gracie in a bjj match. Jake has power but he cant pick diego apart like kampman did.
Bloodhound
11/30/11 3:12:12PM

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

Who has jake schooled in striking on kampmans level? Jake wouldnt be able to keep kampman on his back and lnp like he did to howard when he was scared to strike. Kampman would box his ears off.

Who has jake even smashed through besides jake shields who just lost his dad. Diegos more aggressive faster and explosive not to mention he took it to marloe gracie in a bjj match. Jake has power but he cant pick diego apart like kampman did.

even though he lost the fight in a close decision Ellenberger tooled Condit in the stand up.
40ouncetpkid
11/30/11 7:33:31PM
No he didnt thats why Condit schooled him everywhere the last two rounds. Jake just landed hard and pounded him. If thats the casé then maynard schooled edgar twice in the first rounds in the last two fights in standing. He just landed a big shot and flurried the rest. Just beatings not schooling anybody in technique.