JAKE O'BRIEN WANTS TO STEAL JON JONES' THUNDER

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » JAKE O'BRIEN WANTS TO STEAL JON JONES' THUNDER
emfleek
7/7/09 8:15:25AM
Jake O’Brien (11-2) is experiencing a bit of déjà vu. It’s his third time serving as a gatekeeper to a division’s upper level.

The 24-year-old freestyle wrestler turned fighter is 1-1 in the spoiler role, having defeated Pride standout Heath Herring in January 2007 and lost to fast rising Cain Velasquez last July.

On July 11, he’s aiming to rain on another prospect’s parade, Jon Jones, this time as a light heavyweight. Jones is a 21-year-old terror that grabbed headlines with an unconventional, go for broke style that dispatched Andre Gusmao and Stephan Bonnar. O’Brien’s is unconvinced that his opponent is the next big thing.

STORY
Twenty20Dollars
7/7/09 12:00:48PM
O'brien is going to steal some of jones thunder, with a win over jones on saturday.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/7/09 12:35:37PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

O'brien is going to steal some of jones thunder, with a win over jones on saturday.

Granted, Jones is probly not the next BIG thing, but i really don't see O'Brien coming out of this with a W.
finnish_line
7/7/09 1:23:50PM

JAKE O'BRIEN WANTS TO STEAL JON JONES' THUNDER

Well I want a toilet made out of solid gold, but it's just not in the cards now is it?
emfleek
7/7/09 1:32:20PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Granted, Jones is probly not the next BIG thing, but i really don't see O'Brien coming out of this with a W.

I agree. The weight cut will play a factor, I do believe.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/7/09 1:59:03PM
well Obrien did successfully cut weight for his last fight but I still think Jones is taking this one and rather easily at that
emfleek
7/7/09 2:05:05PM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

well Obrien did successfully cut weight for his last fight but I still think Jones is taking this one and rather easily at that

His last fight was @ HW against Wellisch, right?

This fight against Jones is @ 205.

Unless I'm totally missing something here...
cowcatcher
7/7/09 2:13:55PM
his last fight was at LHW
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/7/09 2:14:36PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

His last fight was @ HW against Wellisch, right?

This fight against Jones is @ 205.

Unless I'm totally missing something here...

It was at 205 vs Wellisch but having seen the fight, IMO he barely took the decision and well Jones is a step up from Wellisch any way you put it.
emfleek
7/7/09 2:19:30PM
I stand corrected! My bad!
seanfu
7/7/09 9:48:25PM
yup. Jones is gonna fart in his dinner.
TimW001
7/8/09 2:54:21AM

Posted by seanfu

yup. Jones is gonna fart in his dinner.

Well put.

All anyone can do is wish you luck Jake. This kid's got something.