Jaime Varner is the real deal, believe it!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Jaime Varner is the real deal, believe it!!!
cj_striker
2/18/08 4:08:07PM
Before people state their opinions let me say, I feel Varner has been way to cocky on occasion and should definitely change that. But besides that I love this guy. Don't get me wrong, I love Razor Rob too, but Varner is definitely the best LW in the WEC and I would love for him to go back to the UFC and have even better opponents to face. People can say what they want about jumping on band wagons or you can't just judge a fighter after one fight, but the bottomline is Varner has looked excellent in the fights I have seen and as I posted before I couldn't pick a winner between Razor Rob and him (even though most people chose Rob), because I knew Varner was badass. First off Varner almost defeated Hermes Franca (I know almost doesn't count, but he was winning the fight going into the final round, and seemed to gas, letting Franca submit him), Franca is a top ten LW in the UFC, not the world but definitely the UFC. He walked easily through Gilliam and Leggett, and then didn't walk through Razor Rob, but out did him at pretty much everything in their bout. Yeah, but the mouth piece thing was shaddy, calling a timeout what's up with that the haters will probably say, but you know what. If the ref gives it too you and you think you need it take it, just like when a guy takes a low blow, if you need it take it. Varner is bound for great things mark my words.
wolfman
2/18/08 4:32:44PM
I agree man, I knew he was going to be a tough match up for Rob. Ultimately, that is why I picked him to win, because I knew he had all the tools to beat Razor Rob. I didn't see him winning by TKO, but I knew he was going to finish him. I'd like to see him back in the UFC though. Right now he is a big fish in a little pond, I don't see anyone really challenging him in the WEC right now. I would like to see him in a rematch with Hermes Franca.
Franklinfan47
2/19/08 1:56:55PM
I'm glad Varner got the win, even when he was in the ufc I was impressed with him. It will be interesting to see how long he can hold on to that belt.
pv3Hpv3p
2/19/08 2:17:59PM
I thought that the timeout he called marred the victory... Not saying he ins't a good fighter and that he couldn't beat Razor Rob on any given day... But that right hand ruined Varner's day and if it wasn't for getting the TO from Mazigatti I think Rob would have finished him...

But hey, it worked for Fitch and now he's a #1 contender, so whateves
wolfman
2/19/08 4:17:10PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I thought that the timeout he called marred the victory... Not saying he ins't a good fighter and that he couldn't beat Razor Rob on any given day... But that right hand ruined Varner's day and if it wasn't for getting the TO from Mazigatti I think Rob would have finished him...

I'll respectfully disagree with you. Rob was bringing the heat and he still wasn't able to finish Varner. Varner was able to grab a single leg twice and that gave him enough time to recompose himself.

After he grabbed the second single leg, Rob slipped out backed away and allowed Jamie to back away as well. Therefore, there was a break in the action and Mazz allowed Varner to get his mouthpiece back. If Rob was going to finish him it would have been right when he rocked him. He even had him up against the cage and he couldn't finish Jamie there. Of course this is all just speculation, but I don't think the TO gave him the win. Yes, it did give him more time to compose himself, but I think he was fine even without the TO. He didn't appear to be wobbly or woozy when he called the TO. This is all just my opinion.
pv3Hpv3p
2/19/08 4:22:09PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I'll respectfully disagree with you. Rob was bringing the heat and he still wasn't able to finish Varner. Varner was able to grab a single leg twice and that gave him enough time to recompose himself.

After he grabbed the second single leg, Rob slipped out backed away and allowed Jamie to back away as well. Therefore, there was a break in the action and Mazz allowed Varner to get his mouthpiece back. If Rob was going to finish him it would have been right when he rocked him. He even had him up against the cage and he couldn't finish Jamie there. Of course this is all just speculation, but I don't think the TO gave him the win. Yes, it did give him more time to compose himself, but I think he was fine even without the TO. He didn't appear to be wobbly or woozy when he called the TO. This is all just my opinion.

I didn't quite understand it myself (Rob not taking action that is)... I guess I'm not saying that the TO was the reason Varner won, but I think it had to contribute to it...

But you're right... McCollough had the chance to go in there and finish him, but let him off the hook... As far as the TD's go... I'd have to watch it again, I don't remember much eccept some blind scrambling by Varner and then him retreating across the cage, but I've only watched the fight once so take that for what it's worth...

Either way, it was a vet move by Varner and IMO gave him the little break he needed to get back into the fight... Great fight nontheless...
BlazinSaddle
2/19/08 10:10:59PM
i wont get into how much i dispise varner or i'll get booted, so i'll let it go....

hes gonna get pounded if he fights a top 10 LW thats all i got to say on this
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
2/19/08 11:10:48PM
I beat Varner in college back in 2005. This gives me a good outlook when I make the switch in a year or so.
wolfman
2/19/08 11:13:11PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

i wont get into how much i dispise varner or i'll get booted, so i'll let it go....

hes gonna get pounded if he fights a top 10 LW thats all i got to say on this

No doubt Varner is an arrogant dude and I can see why people dislike him, yet you can't deny his talent. Also, I think he would fare well against most of the top 10 LWs. He is well rounded fighter who has the ability to give anyone fits imo. I don't think he is UFC championship material, yet he is still young and constantly improving.
CornishMMA
2/20/08 8:22:12AM
Love it when people make threads like this AFTER the fighter has won a big fight! Dude you didnt even pick him to win!

Varner lost to Franca, and then beat a can, why wouldnt the UFC keep him if he was a top LW fighter? Dont get me wrong he did good and surprised me but he isnt "the real deal" if that terms means a top LW in the UFC

Crunkilton would beat him imo
wolfman
2/20/08 1:51:55PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Love it when people make threads like this AFTER the fighter has won a big fight! Dude you didnt even pick him to win!

Varner lost to Franca, and then beat a can, why wouldnt the UFC keep him if he was a top LW fighter? Dont get me wrong he did good and surprised me but he isnt "the real deal" if that terms means a top LW in the UFC

I agree, that he may not yet be the REAL DEAL. However, the kid has talent and just like Carlos Condit, he is only 23 years old. Yes, he did lose to Franca, but people forget that it was his first fight at 155 and also his debut in the UFC. I know I'm giving excuses for his loss, but you can't deny that he succumbed to the "UFC jitters" and clearly gassed in the third and Franca was able to finish him. He clearly won the first two rounds. I am not trying to take anything away from Franca, he won that fight fair and square. I just want people to realize how much potential Varner has.

Ultimately, Varner just about beat a guy who went 5 rounds with Sherk and was able to drop Sherk two or three times with devastating knees. I think Varner deserves more credit than he is getting. Hopefully, the UFC is just letting him get some more experience in the WEC and they will bring him back. I know, enough of the woulda shoulda, but you can't deny that he should have won his UFC debut against a highly touted fighter.

Also, I think he would pick apart Crunklifton and finish him in the 2nd or win a decision. I will agree that he hasn't truly be tested yet, Hermes and Razor were good tests no doubt. However, I would like to see how he would do against Edgar, Griffin, Guida, and Huerta.
BlazinSaddle
2/20/08 3:06:37PM

Posted by CornishMMA

thank you, somebody else who sees this
cj_striker
2/20/08 4:35:35PM
I didn't pick Varner to win, i didn't pick either guy to win (because i was worried Varner may have another Franca type fight with it being such a big fight and plus i like and respect Razor Rob and thought his punching power may cause a few problems for Varner) (and I won't pick a winner if I don't feel completely 100% the guy will win, but from now on I'm trusting my gut and picking Varner when I favor him to win) but after watching the fight it just reinforced how dominant Varner can be, beating guys at their own strengths and that he has lost those jitters he had in the Franca fight. So cornishmma, don't even compare me to a bandwagoner or whatever, because that I'm not my friend. I've watched Varner for awhile and would have posted this about him before, but after the Franca fight the UFC dropped him and didn't see him again until Legget. But whatever man, you can think what you want. and whoever that was that said you beat Varner (if that's true, you must be one hell of a mixed martial artist and be on your way to the big show, send me some tickets when you get there) And by the way Franca is a top ten LW in the UFC and Varner was beating him going into the third round and if they fought again, IMO Varner would win, even though I love Franca and plan on eventually training at his gym in Jupiter, Fl. You'll see cornishmma and blazin saddle and when it happens I'll laugh in your faces. Varner will do well in the UFC, if they take him back IMO they will
DBest
2/20/08 7:43:52PM
I personally don't like Varner, but , he is a great fighter and I think he should go back to the UFC. I don't quite know if he could be a force but I would like to see him against Huerta, Edgar, Florian, Stevenson, and some of the other young and upcoming 155ers in the UFC. Who knows maybe he will hold the UFC title. But, not if BJ or Sherk have it around their waist.