Jackson/Griffin Scorecards; Main Event Wins “Fight of the Night”

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jackson/Griffin Scorecards; Main Event Wins “Fight of the Night”
Next Page »
Porch28
7/6/08 4:21:35PM
The official judges’ tallies, from Dave Meltzer via Fightlinker:

LINK
Bloodhound
7/6/08 4:26:40PM
i scored it

Round 1: 10-9 Jackson
Round 2: 10-8 Griffin
Round 3: 10-9 Jackson
Round 4: 10-9 Jackson
Round 5: 10-9 Griffin

which is 47-47

i would of made them go to a round 6
loller90278
7/6/08 4:29:39PM
wow, i can't believe that 2/3 judges gave forrest round #1...

and if i was dana, i'd give FOTN to gurgel/miller.
bojangalz
7/6/08 5:03:37PM
I gave R1 to Griffin myself. I felt that Rampage landed that one puch which dropped Forrest and did nothing else. The decision seems right on to me.
Wolfenstein
7/6/08 5:23:01PM
Griffin and Jackson ws a close fight, personally I had it ..
R1 Jackson 10-9
R2 Griffin 10-8
R3 Jackson 10-9
R4 Jackson 10-9
R5 Griffin 10-9

Same as the above post, but it could have gone either way. Round 1 and 3 I felt was pretty indisputable for Jackson, but round four was a tough one to choose. Griffin definetely outworked Jackson in just about every round, but every time Jackson landed it seemed to be a thunderous blow. I think it's important to score according to who inflicts the most damage. It was a little baffling that Jackson didn't pressure Forrest more, not being aggressive is what allowed Forrest to damage him with leg kicks.

I was pretty stunned the scoring was so one sided, but Jackson can only fault himself. Round five he just didn't get after it until the final seconds. Jackson definetely deserves a rematch, but I think he'll have to wait through at least one defense because there are so many others waiting in line.

This is the scenario where I can see the UFC giving Machida a shot. Machida vs Jackson would have been a real daunting task for Jackson, because he just doesn't have the speed to keep up with Machida's stick and move style. Griffin is fast and has great reach, so I think Machida would be a close matchup.

Well I've learned one lesson, I am not underestimating Forrest again.
candynuts
7/6/08 5:33:34PM
Im surprised that this was the FOTN. I mean, I thought this was going to be it coming into the fight, but after the event, and watching all of the prelims On Demand, it was tough to pick a FOTN.

I guess the #1 rule of fighters should be to not put it in the hands of the judges.
Khaos
7/6/08 5:57:47PM
I had it this way

Round 4: 10-9 Griffin

Which makes it 48/46 Griffin
xphycorx
7/6/08 6:05:22PM
i felt it should have been a draw 47-47. i think we will get to see these two go at it again though. griffin even said it after the fight.
Jshep714
7/6/08 6:22:41PM
I see Dana giving a shot to his boy the Iceman, providing he gets through evans in September.Thats one choice or I think The Axe Murderer will get a shot in November -Decemberish.
durog
7/6/08 6:23:10PM

Posted by xphycorx

i felt it should have been a draw 47-47. i think we will get to see these two go at it again though. griffin even said it after the fight.

I thought it would be a draw too..I didn't think that forest did enough to win it, but all the props to forest he did what alot of people thought he couldn't.
MoJoy
7/6/08 6:39:46PM

Posted by Bloodhound

i scored it

Round 4: 10-9 Jackson

which is 47-47

i would of made them go to a round 6

That is exactly to a tea how I scored it. Great.
Menard_StC
7/6/08 6:41:00PM
I thought the decision was correct. Most unbiased people did.
cmill21
7/6/08 6:42:30PM
I thought it was either a slight edge to Rampage, or a draw. I definetly didn't agree with giving Rampage round 5 and not round one, and I definetly don't agree with having it 4-1 like the judges. Ahh well we'll get to see Chuck vs Forrest if Chuck beats Rashad.
jae_1833
7/6/08 6:44:52PM

Posted by loller90278

wow, i can't believe that 2/3 judges gave forrest round #1...

and if i was dana, i'd give FOTN to gurgel/miller.

Cole Miller vs Jorge Gurgel was GREAT!! With a finish similar to Griffin vs Rua....only that Gurgel was winning before the sub landed, and he held off in that sub like a champ! I hope he gets to stick around.

The Page vs Griffin fight as I saw it:
R1 10-9 Griffin (octagon control aggression more than makes up for one well landed upercut)
R2 10-9 Griffin (a little GNP don't rate a 10-8 from me)
R3 10-9 Jackson
R4 10-9 Jackson (sub attempt or not)
R5 10-9 Griffin

All in all I saw Jackson look soft, look to counter and get himself an L in a game of cat and mouse. Just like Wandy he is most dangerous in the brawl, and the fight became too technical for him against the rangy and quick Griffin. Good job Griffin (but I wish you would've gotten KOed in the 3rd!)

By the way I think Griffin draws Machida for his first title defense, and if this fight shows us a new Griffin be prepared to see another long fight!
fullfighting
7/6/08 6:52:34PM
I think Jackson won but I could see how they picked forrest.
crazedfan
7/6/08 6:56:40PM
I said Miller/Gurgel should've won FOTN before any of you in the other bonuses topic...

>_>
<_<
Shawn17
7/6/08 7:45:25PM
I seriously wonder about the judging system for mixed martial arts. Its not very clear as to what is worth more points and counts for more. Does a takedown count more than strikes? Is octagon control and jabs worth more than knocking someone down? Personally I saw this fight as a draw. I was amazed that it wasnt at least a split decision. Theres no way in hell that forrest beat rampage decisevely like these judges scored it. In round 2 he had dominating position but was he ever close to finishing? Rampage nearly finished forrest in round 1, why is that not 10-8. He knocked him down. I just dont get it.
Aether
7/6/08 8:18:37PM

Posted by Menard_StC

How can you make that claim? You just write people's opinions off as bias when they don't fall in line with yours? How do you know what most people's bias is? Did you go around the planet and give everyone personal interviews to determine their bias? Do you believe that everyone who scored it in forrest's favour was unbiased and most people who scored it in rampage's were biased?

Really ridiculous statement, really completely incorrect. Argue either side if you want but stop falling back on the "bias" and "fanboy" arguments. There are probably just as many if not more people biased towards griffin as there are toward rampage. It works both ways. They're both highly popular fighters.

From what I've seen it's split almost perfectly down the middle, and bias has nothing to do with it. The fact that several rounds could be scored for either fighter depending on criteria used is the reason. It's not about fighter preference, it's about judging criteria. Everyone places different emphasis on things like submission attempts, position improvements, power and peppering shots.

Even the play by plays done on most MMA sites are split down the middle. MMAweekly had it for forrest, Fightmetrics had it as a tie, of the 3 sherdog judges one had it for rampage, one had it as a tie, and one had it as griffin. MMAjunkie also scored it in rampage's favour. Is everyone just biased or could it be that there are very legitimate arguments for both fighters winning? Claiming people are just biased is a cop out and a way to avoid actually having to back up your argument at all. That way you can just say "I'm right and you're wrong" without ever having to make any valid points.

As I've said I can see arguments for it going either way, but I'm sick of people like you claiming that half of the world is biased, or racist, or blind or some other nonsense.
nickcuc547
7/6/08 8:53:07PM

Posted by Menard_StC

get that crap out of here, i thought it was a clear cut 47-47

round 1: Rampage, it was close until forrest got dropped with an uppercut.
round 2: forrest 10-8, total domination by griffin.
round 3: rampage, forrest got rocked 3 or 4 times, if that's chuck liddell fighting forrest i think everybody gives chuck this round.
round 4: rampage, same as round three except for the triangle attempt, it was deep but forrest almost got slammed.
round 5: forrest, did a good job sticking and moving, avoided rampage's punishment.

i think the big controversy is rounds 3 and 4, if you watch it closely every time forrest came in to strike he was hit hard by rampage, rocked and forced to retreat, this happened almost the entire round. 2 of the 3 judges giving griffin round 1 is ludacris and really makes me think he got the screw job even more.
saemskin
7/6/08 9:01:49PM
Sometime during the 2nd round I remember thinking to myself that Rampage looked very TIRED. Anyone else notice that?
Does anyone know if Rampage was 100% for this fight?
cmill21
7/6/08 9:04:11PM

Posted by saemskin

Sometime during the 2nd round I remember thinking to myself that Rampage looked very TIRED. Anyone else notice that?
Does anyone know if Rampage was 100% for this fight?

i think that was the leg injury, he seemed fine every round after IMO, not tired or anything.
Boo_Radley21
7/6/08 9:06:45PM

Posted by Shawn17
In round 2 he had dominating position but was he ever close to finishing? Rampage nearly finished forrest in round 1, why is that not 10-8. He knocked him down. I just dont get it.

Yea I'd say that Forrest wrecking his leg and then keeping him down for 5 minutes is more dominant than Rampage knocking him down and then Forrest recovering and pulling guard right away. Not to mention getting back to his feet not long after.
prozacnation1978
7/6/08 9:27:24PM
i was at the fight
i thought they were dead even or even rampage on top. seemed to me every time forrest got close rampge would knock him back, you add the bad limp leg i am surprised forrest could not finish him hurt i thought he would beat him in the 3rd. but over all best fight of the year for me, dying to see a rematch
Wolf
7/6/08 9:47:55PM

Posted by cmill21

I thought it was either a slight edge to Rampage, or a draw. I definetly didn't agree with giving Rampage round 5 and not round one, and I definetly don't agree with having it 4-1 like the judges. Ahh well we'll get to see Chuck vs Forrest if Chuck beats Rashad.

only 1 judge scored it 4-1. The others gave Griffin 3-2, but with 1 10-8 round.
Budgellism
7/7/08 12:16:10AM
Yo I scored it 48-46 for Griffen as well... He won the fight, no doubt.
xtra_chewy
7/7/08 2:32:50AM
Everyone is too afraid to say that Rampage got robbed. He did. I said it.
Everyone that said they think Rampage won shouldnt be afraid to get flamed, I think the judges scores were terrible.
Great fight, great fighters, bad judging.
jgtribbett
7/7/08 7:12:34AM
haha id have to watch it again.. i had drank too much by that fight and i was like an uneducated fan.. haha
Pookie
7/7/08 7:19:10AM
Fightmetric re-affirms what i said in an earlier thread. Rounds 1,3,4 were all rampage.
Wolf
7/7/08 11:28:40AM

Posted by Pookie

Fightmetric re-affirms what i said in an earlier thread. Rounds 1,3,4 were all rampage.

I have a real problem with the fightmetric scoring, and I wish I could get a chance to rewatch the fight with those guys and talk with them about it. I gave 4 to Griffin because I counted more shots landed. Jackson threw and landed some really good ones in that round. However, most of the combos he threw were taken on the arms as Griffin covered up well. You could see that in all the slow-mo replays they were showing. They looked good initially because Rampage throws those with a lot of ferocity. That doesn't change the fact that a punch that connects with only arm doesn't count. I had it like this:

1) Jackson 10-9
2) Griffin 10-8
3) Jackson 10-9
4) Griffin 10-9
5) Griffin 10-9
Final 48-46 Griffin (3 rounds to 2).
CornishMMA
7/7/08 1:19:00PM
Since everyone has an opinion on the main event scoring I wont chime in much with that but felt Forrest win the fight despite me picking and wanting Rampage to win, thats unbiased scoring right there!

But what i really want to say is WTF UFC WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why give those guys an extra $75k each rather than Gurgel/Miller! even Koscheck Lytle would have been a better choice cos it was exciting and so close to being stopped all the time. I guess FOTN is judged by CLOSEST rather than MOST EXCITING imho
Pages: [1] 2