Jackson Vs Evans

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Jackson Vs Evans
Next Page »
POLL: ?
Rampage 63% (40)
Rashad 37% (23)
mentalcase
1/8/09 11:50:38AM
what are your thoughts on his fight, if they put it together for the next lhw title fight?

who do u think will win, and how do u see this fight playing out?
Sledge23
1/8/09 12:37:13PM
Rampage will overpower rashad.
Jackson is in the best shape of his life and is ready to take on anybody.

Rampage=next LHW champ
Hendo67
1/8/09 12:37:57PM
I think this fight may be closer than a lot of people think.

Striking: Hmmm, we've both saw them absolutely destroy Chuck (Rashads was more vicious) we've saw Rashad's kicks (Sean Salmon) and we saw Rampage's KO power on Wandy. So the striking from a technical stand point may be pretty close.

Strength: Both are very, very strong. Brute strength clearly goes to Rampage, however the technical wrestling i'd give to Rashad. Overall, pretty even there as well.

I think that these guys are very similar to each other for some reason.
But, i think i might give the edge to Page in this one.
wiggum
1/8/09 1:49:45PM
This is a close fight....both are very extremely tough to finish were ever the fight goes.......ground game is about even, with neither having the best bjj, yet rampage showed flashes of competence in his bout with hendo...wrestling is pretty even with a slight edge going to page because he is damn near impossible to take down, were as sean salmon was able to take down evans at will it seemed like....in the clinch id give to rampage, he dirty boxes like his name is randy couture, were as evans doesnt show to much action in the clinch.....striking, is pretty close, both are predominantly boxers...rampage has the very slightly better footwork and headmovement, he also has an edge in boxing technique, but evans has good boxing technique as well...even tho evans has that kick ko over salmon, i doubt youll see too many kicks out of either one....power its pretty close to even, both have the one punch ability...the tougher chin i'd say goes to rampage...evans only chin test was agaisnt the one right hand that chuck landed in theyre battle, and it sent him back a bit, but he hung in real good...where on the other hand rampage walked thru chucks punches both times....so jury is still somewhat out on evans chin, but i still thinks hes got a good one....as far as camps and gameplans, i give the edge to evans but nothing that i think will really factor in against rampage....plus tito and rampage are boys, so im sure hes got some tips......so, really, this fight is pretty close, i think its gonna be a drawn out atrition war to see who can break whos will....and in the end i think rampage comes off with a decision win or a late fight (4th or 5th rd) tko stoppage from gnp
Boo_Radley21
1/8/09 2:10:21PM
Rampage has to take this one. I think that loss to Forrest is gonna be his last loss for at least a few fights. I predict he takes the title, defends it at least twice before he loses it again. But hey, I could be wrong, it all depends on whether or not Griffin gets another shot
Pookie
1/8/09 3:01:00PM
Unless Rashad throws a mean leg kick i havent seen yet i think Rampage trumps him in this fight.

Rashad throws his hands in a manner that can be timed, and when rampage can time someones stand-up he explodes in with counter hooks and uppercuts.

Rampages headmovement, twitch-reflex timing ,chin and defensive boxing skills will keep him protected from Rashads haymakers, and he may just break Rashads hands, because when Rashad chooses to throw a hard shot, he throws that punch hard, its could be disaster when that punch lands on rampages elbow. He parries alot of shots off his elbows... did it to every opponent hes faced in the UFC thus far.

Rashad can only win this fight by managing to throw rampage off his rhythm, which involves alot of coming forward, another bad thing to do against rampage.

Stylistically i cant even see an area of the fight game where rashad can do more than rampage can, thus i cant really see him winning the decision. And rampage has never been put out by a punch either, and hes been hit with some hard ones before. Wanderlei's right hand that lands flush on the bottom middle part of rampages chin was just as hard as Rashad's right hand to chuck.

I have a feeling rashad is going to test his limits in this fight and just end up getting caught in the second.
Wolfenstein
1/8/09 3:19:54PM
Tough fight to call, because both guys have a solid chance to win. It will essentially be a fight of power vs speed. Rashad will have to move in and out much like Forrest, and try to outpoint Jackson. Jackson on the other hand will need to land a big punch.

The more I evaluate this fight the more I'm leaning towards Rashad. He has a good chin and he can use his speed to control the distance and engage only when he chooses. Rampage at times can become a bit of a stationary target, instead of a guy who's going to walk you down and cut off the ring.

If Rampage wins I see it happening by countering a leg kick with an overhand right. Rashad doesn't have very long limbs, so he's always going to be well in range when throwing kicks.

The biggest factor I think is that Rampage has some holes in his game to exploit, and Team Jackson is great at picking guys with weaknesses apart. Rashad by close split decision.
EvenFlow
1/8/09 3:43:42PM
If they get into a brawl Jackson will dominate, Rashad better learn to use kicks and hope to LnP. Rashad cant take too many of Quinton's shots where as Rampage can take Rashad's. Rampage has the striking technique and isnt sloppy, he will take a decision or late stoppage.

Whether its Lyoto or Rampage, Rashad is going to lose the belt in the most stacked division in the world.
gsquat
1/8/09 3:44:42PM
Rashad won't let Rampage pick him apart on the feet. Forrest did because of his kicks. Rampage doesn't use his legs nearly as much. So on the feet, count on this to be a boxing matchup with Rashad being the only one to throw kicks. Rampage has lots of power in his hands, but c'mon. So does Rashad. Look at their respective KO's against Chuck. It's impossible to say one has more power than the other. On the ground it's Evans all day. So if he decides to go back to his wrestling, Rahsad could decide the winner of this fight early. Althouhg an extreme nut-hugger, I feel my lack of hatred for Rashad clears my vision to the only true outcome of this fight. Rashad with his hand raised.
copcopps
1/8/09 4:48:23PM
I refuse picking against Rashad ever again.

That and he's a Jackson's fighter, I can see Rampage winning but I just can't see how
F-Man
1/8/09 4:50:02PM
rashad likes to sit back and counter and a lot of people have been willing to chase him down. chuck almost never chases anyone down but rashad drew him in. rampage won't play that game with rashad. rampage never chased chuck and we all knwo that's what chuck wanted, so i dont think rashad will be able to draw rampage in.

i believe rampage has the better hands for sure. i dont think he looked as crisp as usual against wanderlei, but he did knock wanderlei out cold with one punch so i cant really complain too much. i'd have to give rashad a kicking advantage, and we saw what forrest did to ramapage with kicks. i dont see rashad being as effective with his kicks since rashad hangs back a bit more ad likes to counter mroe as mentioned earlier. if rampage does decide to chase him he can land some kicks, but i dont see much chasing going on. it could turn out to be a bit boring if neither guy is willing to over engage.

when rampage prepares to defend takedowns, he's almost impossible to take down. randleman never even came clsoe to taking ramapge down, but we saw dan take him down a few times. i think a ramapge who works his wrestling will defend rashad's takedowns. ramapge admitted he didnt do much wrestling defense when he fought dan, he worked on his submission defense instead.

i think this is a fight that rashad might have to get takedowns to win. if rashad cant make rampage chase him he wont win the striking. if rampage can defend takedown, he will win.
gsquat
1/8/09 5:16:04PM

Posted by copcopps

That and he's a Jackson's fight, I can see Rampage winning but I just can't see how

Props for recognition, but thats dangerous. I'm a Rashad nut-hugger since midway through TUF2, but I still might pick against him if he fought Machida. I'd pick him against Rampage in a heartbeat, but until Machida shows a valid weakness I think he beats anyone in his division. In the Tito fight he showed some susceptibility to some slick JJ and we know Rashad doesn't have too much of that up his sleeve.
sparky
1/8/09 8:09:08PM
I think Rashad will beat Rampage. I believe he will where him down and win this fight via unanimous decision.
copcopps
1/8/09 10:17:40PM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by copcopps

That and he's a Jackson's fight, I can see Rampage winning but I just can't see how

Props for recognition, but thats dangerous. I'm a Rashad nut-hugger since midway through TUF2, but I still might pick against him if he fought Machida. I'd pick him against Rampage in a heartbeat, but until Machida shows a valid weakness I think he beats anyone in his division. In the Tito fight he showed some susceptibility to some slick JJ and we know Rashad doesn't have too much of that up his sleeve.

Oh yeah against a guy like Machida I can pick against but against a guy like Rampage, I can't really.
PABLOMAFIOSO
1/9/09 2:54:44PM
I think they are quite equally matched but Rashad would probably look for takedowns and leg kicks rather than bang with an equally skilled or better striker. Rashad appears to do more in his fights and I reckon he could win via decision.
Aaronno9
1/9/09 2:58:42PM
Ive got a feeling Rashad wont be pulling any crotch grabs once he feels how hard Quinton hits. I mean, thats something im interested to see, Rashad seems to get confident when he realises he can take his opponents punches, but p4p quinton must be in the top few hardest hitters around, i dont think rashad would know what to do when he was being punished.
nickcuc547
1/9/09 3:07:23PM
On paper rampage should over power rashad and knock him out, but evans has superior footwork and great power. this is a close one and while my gut says rampage, the more i think about the less confident i feel.
tuvok500
1/10/09 12:19:18AM
I am going with Rashad here, the guy was and his still underated even if he is the champ.

Rampage has a good puncher chance but overall Rashad is superior.

Rashad rd 4 TKO

Pookie
1/10/09 12:19:59AM

Posted by tuvok500

I am going with Rashad here, the guy was and his still underated even if he is the champ.

Rashad rd 4 TKO

In which areas?
cmill21
1/10/09 12:56:27AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

Rashad rd 4 TKO

In which areas?

Also curious.
tuvok500
1/10/09 11:48:30AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

I am going with Rashad here, the guy was and his still underrated even if he is the champ.

Rashad rd 4 TKO

In which areas?

Speed
Camp ( not an attribute but make a big difference for the strategy the guy use so how he fight )
conditioning
wrestling
and i think his striking technique is better, of course pure power goes to Rampage.

casey64
1/10/09 2:01:27PM
I think this will be a close fight, IMO, I want Rashad to keep that belt, but I dont think he will against Rampage. Rampage edges the victory.
Aether
1/10/09 4:17:32PM
I basically agree with Pookie's breakdown. They have similar abilities, although they use them entirely differently, and I think Rampage is better in most areas. Rashad has demonstrated that he has a hard time out-pointing strong fighters, and I think Rampage's standup defense and chin are way too good for Rashad to score a flash KO like his last 2 fights. They were brutal KOs but both opponents also handed him their chin on a platter.

Tito outpointed him before the deduction, Bisping took him to a razor thin decision, chuck and forrest both also outpointed him before being KOed. I think against strong technical fighters like Rampage, Machida, Shogun(crossing fingers that he comes back 100%) he will struggle, because these are the kinds of fighters who are incredibly hard to land clean on or to finish in any manner.

I think Rashad's best chance in this fight is to try to take Rampage down and control / GnP him to a decision. I see Rashad's biggest tool as his ability to just KO people whether he's winning or losing, and I don't think it will come into play.
Pookie
1/10/09 4:52:28PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tuvok500

I am going with Rashad here, the guy was and his still underrated even if he is the champ.

Rashad rd 4 TKO

In which areas?

Speed
Camp ( not an attribute but make a big difference for the strategy the guy use so how he fight )
conditioning
wrestling
and i think his striking technique is better, of course pure power goes to Rampage.

Id only disagree on Conditioning and striking technique
mentalcase
1/11/09 7:24:46AM
Evans vs Jackson lined up to headline UFC 100
casey64
1/11/09 2:02:02PM

Posted by mentalcase

Evans vs Jackson lined up to headline UFC 100

That will be amazing.
RhythmAndStyle
1/11/09 5:55:31PM
i see this match pretty close until the late 2nd or 3th round..i know Rampage is just gonna stay in the pocket and jab away and throw combos..and Evans is gonna try to counter Rampage's attack..but the thing is Rampage is in the pocket and Evans won't be able to reach him..Rampage isn't gonna chase him like Liddell did..the only time i think Rampage is gonna jump all over him is when he has Evans rocked..this is gonna be a stand up battle..probably will go to the ground once or twice..the outcome will be Rampage via tko...
Bobby-B-Bonkers
1/11/09 6:36:26PM
Rampage can take one of Rashad's punches. I don't think Rashad can take a shot from Rampage. (IMO) Plus, Rampage is not Chuck or Forrest!!!
chickmagnet
1/11/09 9:04:09PM

Posted by wiggum

wrestling is pretty even with a slight edge going to page because he is damn near impossible to take down

Uh....Rampage was taken down by Henderson 3 or 4 times in that bout, Rashad's wrestling technique is much better than Rampages. Chuck has the best td defense in the division not Rampage, Rampage can be taken down especially after Rashad chops down his leg with leg kicks since Rampage doesn't check and kicks.
cmill21
1/11/09 9:51:59PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by wiggum

wrestling is pretty even with a slight edge going to page because he is damn near impossible to take down

Uh....Rampage was taken down by Henderson 3 or 4 times in that bout, Rashad's wrestling technique is much better than Rampages. Chuck has the best td defense in the division not Rampage, Rampage can be taken down especially after Rashad chops down his leg with leg kicks since Rampage doesn't check and kicks.

Really? Dan is an olympic wrestler, being taken down by him isn't really a negative lol. My deciding factor for this fight is Rashads new found willingness to trade, we know Chuck has power, but Forrest is not a KO machine, also the best way to beat Chuck is to draw him in and look for the HUGE openings he leaves. Rampage does not have these holes, he is also known to have one of the hardest heads in mma. So I pick Rashad because all the top guys are falling in wild wild fashion lol.
Pages: [1] 2