UFC jacks up pay-per-view (PPV) price for UFC 168: 'Weidman vs. Silva 2'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC jacks up pay-per-view (PPV) price for UFC 168: 'Weidman vs. Silva 2'
FastKnockout
12/5/13 7:50:08PM
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is set to raise its pay-per-view (PPV) price by $5 for this month's UFC 168 event.

Link
grappler0000
12/5/13 7:52:46PM
Do it on an event that nobody wants to miss...you sly, selfish bastards.
Webbie
12/5/13 7:57:34PM
That's jacked up.

Wallass
12/5/13 8:09:11PM
They could jack it up $20 for all I care cause the look on my friends faces when Weidman finishes Anderson again will be totally priceless. WAR Weidman!!!!
Kpro
12/5/13 8:54:25PM
In related news, you also have to order the event through the Obamacare website. Technicians are on standby.
prozacnation1978
12/5/13 9:08:03PM
Pretty fucked up move this
Plus the new network for fights to watch overseas

UFC gonna lose some fans.
prophecy033
12/5/13 9:56:06PM
They can fuck off. PPV is too much as is. Most the time its not worth it. #greedypricks
bjj1605
12/5/13 11:27:52PM

Posted by prophecy033

They can fuck off. PPV is too much as is. Most the time its not worth it. #greedypricks

Doesn't bother me too much personally actually, but I think its a dumb business decision.

Raising the price is going to drive some people away, even if not many. On an event like this that is likely to sell through the roof, you're better off going after buys than price. Raising the price gets you $5 more per buy. But for everyone you drive off, you're losing $55 (opportunity cost baby.)
Sir_Karl
12/6/13 12:01:25AM
Now that is downright annoying.
lohmann
12/6/13 12:02:30AM
Is it a four-hour event?

If this is move based on an intangible factor like quality and not something definite like time, then shouldn't they lower the price for events that lack title fights? Poor move, UFC.
Chael_Sonnen
12/6/13 12:53:55AM
You fellas can come to my Palace to watch......

- - RULES - -

• $10.00 to enter
• Leave your stanky ass shoes outside
• Bring your own food
• Bring your own drink
• Piss outside (in the neighbors lawn)
• If ya got to shit, use the Shell gas station down the street
• $5.00 to EXIT
Kpro
12/6/13 1:39:39AM
The price didn't go up on ufc.tv. When our average residential home advances to the point where it's simple and everyone has the capability to order them direct and cut out the middleman, being cable/dish providers, we could actually see prices drop since the middleman gets a pretty outrageously high amount. Guaranteed cable/sat providers are dreading the day it becomes just as convenient and easy for the average consumer to watch online PPV's on your big-screen. So many will already only be watching TV via the web by that point anyways.
Bubbles
12/6/13 2:01:53AM
to those who still buy PPVs
Kpro
12/6/13 2:10:51AM

Posted by Bubbles

Uhhhh, we all do. Sorry Zuffa lawyers, he was joking.

Webbie
12/6/13 2:10:59AM

Posted by Bubbles

Exactly

I mean, I don't stream or DL torrents. I just don't watch them at all.

Kpro
12/6/13 7:23:04AM
"In a move that will likely please fighters such as Anderson Silva, who receive a portion of pay-per-view (PPV) proceeds"

Whoever wrote the article doesn't understand how the contracts work for fighters who receive a portion of PPV revenue. It's based on buys, not total money. This is a slight negative, not a positive, for guys like Anderson. Not that he'll notice much on a hefty 7 figure payday regardless.
Shawn91111
12/6/13 10:17:54AM
“I’ll fucking go on record right now and say I will not raise pay-per-view. I won’t do it,” - Dana White
GDPofMPG
12/6/13 11:28:01AM
Ini my best interest I'd like the price to go down, or Zuffa to move away from the PPV model all together. Something like this pushes more people to streams and doesn't close that revenue gap. That being said, I buy about half the ppvs each year and $40 additional bucks per year is going to change nothing of my viewing methods.
airkerma
12/6/13 12:57:47PM

Posted by Shawn91111

“I’ll fucking go on record right now and say I will not raise pay-per-view. I won’t do it,” - Dana White

What was the date on that?
prozacnation1978
12/6/13 1:49:07PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

- - RULES - -

• $10.00 to enter
• Bring your own food
• Bring your own drink
• $5.00 to EXIT

I would actually pay the 15 bucks for this
prozacnation1978
12/6/13 1:51:21PM
I think the extra 5 is for this event only. I may be mistaken.
Seems UFC needs to pay rousey "tito money " so let's just add a extra 5 for rhonda's cut of the ppv revenue
airkerma
12/6/13 1:58:13PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

- - RULES - -

• $10.00 to enter
• Bring your own food
• Bring your own drink
• $5.00 to EXIT

I would actually pay the 15 bucks for this

but I only drink 40s
mrsmiley
12/6/13 3:24:17PM
.My philosophy and my big [expletive] thing is not to gauge the fans in any way," White told Radio Host Steve Cofield and other reporters during a media scrum. "If you don’t think that we have a CFO and [expletive] aggressive guys in the company that want to raise pay-per-view and do all this sh-t, I won’t do it. I’ll [expletive] go on record right now and say I will not raise pay-per-view. … I won’t raise it again

At this point I think Dana would be a great politician.
FlashyG
12/6/13 6:35:26PM

Posted by mrsmiley

.My philosophy and my big [expletive] thing is not to gauge the fans in any way," White told Radio Host Steve Cofield and other reporters during a media scrum. "If you don’t think that we have a CFO and [expletive] aggressive guys in the company that want to raise pay-per-view and do all this sh-t, I won’t do it. I’ll [expletive] go on record right now and say I will not raise pay-per-view. … I won’t raise it again

At this point I think Dana would be a great politician.

I don't like the raising prices either, but that quote was from a time when the WEC was still in existence.

I doubt when he said that he meant that the price would stay the same for eternity.