Jack's UFC 88 Rants

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Jack's UFC 88 Rants
JackHammerXXX
9/7/08 11:44:49AM
I want to say, this was the worst I've done in picking these things. I had Liddell, I had Hamill, I had Kampmann, and I thought Boetsch wouldn't be able to do it, but no he did. Geez, kinda glad Karo didn't fight, I had him too.

Kampmann got thrashed. Marquardt looked great. His standup has become really dangerous and I was thoroughly impressed with his fight.

Hendo fought a good fight. Great gameplan, and way to get out of those heel hooks. that was what Palhares' coaches said, bet on him winning by.

Hamill from jump, looked like it was 2,3 years before, and he was 'training' with Franklin. He lacked the killer instinct and didn't seem to want to hurt Rich. He walked around with Rich, threw lazy jabs, and never tried for takedowns?!!!!
After the first round, I said f@#$ it, Franklin take it because Matt doesn't want this one. Sure enough, Franklin hits a body kick on the button, and drops one of the LHW's toughest guys. I think Franklin got what he hoped for in Hamill standing up with him throughout the fight, when he was taken down, it looked like Hamill could do damage, and control the fight. But I saw, weak, yes weak takedown and takedown attempts from Matt, and it just wasn't the fight I was expecting. Like I said, I don't think Matt was in it for blood. Franklin sure seemed ecstatic, almost gitty afterwards, maybe cuz he knew he escaped his return to 205 without even having to claw a win out. Great fight for Franklin, props, I didn't think he could do it. Sure s@#$, Hamill will come out a beast again next fight, and I'll pick against him.

Speed kills...Chuck didn't think Rashad was as accurate, or as hard a puncher. What does he believe now? Evans came out, really loose. During the first round, he bounced around, showboated, got Chuck to notice, and start stalking more, and more as the round went on. In the brief exchanges, you saw Liddell's punches, not so sure how good you could see Rashad's. He's quick. In the second, Chuck got Evans on the fence, and started measuring him up, now when they finally did go to blows, I noticed Rashad threw twice as many punches, and after the look in Chuck was like, how do I get threw that? Now as Rashad moved away, Chuck was right on him, Evans stopped circling left, came with a slight over hand, right that the smack was heard throughout the arena. I never watched someone go to sleep like that! One punch.

It was quietly understood, that Chuck would earn the title shot, if he won. Now, that Rashad won, does he get it? Apparently so, at the post fight press conference, it was announced that Griffins' first title defense will be against another winner of the Ultimate Fighter, Rashad Evans. I knew going into this, that either way, it was a wet dream for Dana. What more than, having the UFC's modern posterboy, Forrest winning the belt against Rampage. Then, between Chuck and Rashad, he had an Ultimate Fighter coach, or another Ultimate Fighter winner, to fight Forrest for the belt. A marketing gift, and big staple in the Ultimate Fighter brand, that White is soo in to building. Is it okay, ehhhh....I guess. I mean, if Chuck would've got it, so should Rashad. All in all, I just want these guys fighting each other, so may the best man win....Rashad looked like a champion last night, watch out Forrest.
mkiv9secsupra
9/7/08 11:47:18AM
so its official? Rashad Evans vs Forrest Griffin?

it also seemed like that first heelhook on Hendo came out of nowhere
JackHammerXXX
9/7/08 12:18:05PM
yeah, they announced it at the press conference. Rashad said he was happy about the news, and was all smiles. No date, or anything for it but it was said.

Palhares trainers and coaches were banking on that sub. and really, it looked like he was going to get it, Hendo too experienced though, he had his knee out, like he said, so....That guy was waiting, praying for a sub. attempt, he got it, a couple I believe. So, he didn't do what they/he said he would, props Hendo
Twenty20Dollars
9/7/08 12:20:29PM
So i watched the countdown show on wednesday and saw the part with hamill and rich's lack of takedown defense. Then I go and chance my pick to hamill and bet some money on it.

I am telling you I should just stick with my original picks, because everytime I change my picks at the last minute they never work out for me.
JackHammerXXX
9/7/08 12:27:06PM
Hamill was the most surprising, I mean, the guy stood the whole fight. I was yelling at the t.v., then what does he do? F#$%, he grabbed ONE leg I think, and scooped Franklin onto his ass. No sweat. WHY didn't he continue? Just cuz you have a "bread and butter" and everyone knows what it is(Hamill's wrestling/takedowns) doesn't mean you do the opposite, you're not tricking anyone with that sloppy standup. Franklin should thank the stars Hamill didn't do what he was supposed to.
jgtribbett
9/7/08 12:44:26PM
of course they want the ultimate fighter guys to get at the time.. whatever
casey64
9/7/08 1:15:59PM
Shocking main event. What a way for Rashad to beat Liddell. Beating Chuck with his own game plan. Go Rashad.
jnjjacob
9/7/08 2:11:19PM

Posted by JackHammerXXX

Hamill was the most surprising, I mean, the guy stood the whole fight. I was yelling at the t.v., then what does he do? F#$%, he grabbed ONE leg I think, and scooped Franklin onto his ass. No sweat. WHY didn't he continue? Just cuz you have a "bread and butter" and everyone knows what it is(Hamill's wrestling/takedowns) doesn't mean you do the opposite, you're not tricking anyone with that sloppy standup. Franklin should thank the stars Hamill didn't do what he was supposed to.

Man, I'm glad I wasn't the only guy yelling at the TV. I had picked Hamill based on his takedown... then he doesn't even really use it. Use the talent that you have!