Jack's Rants-7/24

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Jack's Rants-7/24
JackHammerXXX
7/24/08 10:09:53PM
1. I just seen that Thales Leites is set to fight...Dean Lister.?! Now it's going down in my city, and I will be there. But, this is the same guy who after, beating, or should I say, won because Marquardt lost the fight for him due to his own bad decisions, not Leites' abilities, more so his heart... said he didn't want the Marquardt rematch because he wanted to go for the title? And then signed to fight Lister? All respects to Dean, but I bet Nate fights someone thats either highly ranked, or highly hyped next and we'll see who gets closer to a title shot.
2. Dan Henderson's upcoming fight. Now, I'd really like to see Hendo in there with a top name, and I know he wants to, too. This brings up a good debate. Hollywood getting older and we all aren't the Natural. He's hinted that he's got few more years,but he wants the big fights while he can still get them. Which brings me to the point that just as many superstars that there are, you need those young guns, prodigies, etc. to get a shot at making a name for themselves. I say go Rousimar(spelling?) and don't pull a Jardine(Houston Alexander) Danny!
3. Someone said to me that noone is really "deserving" of a shot at BJ for the title. Even considering the winner of Florian/Huerta. I partially, agree but only because Penn looks unbeateable, from what the eye has seen. If one those guys gets a shot, I don't think they're anyless deserving than Daddy was at the start of the year. I heard something about a Faber matchup, and everybody knows about the GSP thing. I am personally, more intrigued, and excited about those fights, than a Florian/Huerta vs.Penn matchup. But, I got a Florian in a decision, and I think he's one of the few I'd care to see take a shot at The Prodigy.
4.Affliction's payouts were RIDICULOUS! I repeat RIDICULOUS! I mean, get your money to all the fighters, But ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Lindland got 300 plus a bonus for what he did? Rampage hasn't been paid a "purse" of that size anytime I believe(Icould be wrong on that) but that's unheard of. Sylvia got 800? Fedor 300? I don't know how they will pay them for the next show, but I'm going to watching for those numbers, because I'll tell you right now Atencio-don't think you can pay them in Affliction T-shirts!
5.I need another Wandy fight ASAP!

-Thanks for letting me rant, "The Hammer"
mkiv9secsupra
7/25/08 11:44:54AM
1. I dont care to see a rematch between leites and marquardt at all, im sure Marquardt would win. Leites Lister should be a good matchup with Lister getting the submission win so oh well.

2.The ufc is giving Dan a fighter he should steamroll. He hasnt won in the UFC since his return so the average fan is going to see that he usually loses and you cant market a guy that loses all the time. So let Dan get his KO win and then step back up to face the big names. In a few months hell be right back.

3. the LW division is getting pretty annoying. I hope BJ vacates the title and returns permanently to WW. There is nothing for him at LW other than dominating fights. Let Huerta/Florian winner fight Tyson Griffin and they will be the champ. Then let sherk have a shot at the champ after beating Joe daddy maybe.

4. There is nothing rediculous about paying a fighter what they deserve. These top level fighters lives ARE fighting and they train with such intensity and longevity that they deserve more than what they get. Just remember boxing payouts belittle MMA payouts right now.
Manfred
7/25/08 2:03:16PM
Good rant. Two comments:

2. What happened to Franklin / Hendo. Did I miss that bit of news?

EDIT: I forgot he's fighting Toquinho now. If the guy has a chin and it goes to the ground, Hendo could be in trouble.

4. I agree with mkiv9secsupra about the payouts. Rather than comparing the payouts to a UFC fighter and think they are over-paying, maybe consider the UFC is under-paying?

Especially since the take in so much more cash. Keep in mind they are sell more DVDs than any other sport, they have UFC on-demand, fight club memberships and some big sponsors.
JackHammerXXX
7/25/08 9:00:00PM
The payouts were ridiculous, to me, for one reason-guys in the ufc don't get that type of money. I commend, and respect Sylvia and Arlovski,and their management for going for, and securing those numbers. I love to see these guys get their money. Now, if Afflicition can continue this, maybe we will see a trend, that's why I said I'll be watching those numbers. If they can't, then hey, at least we saw the fighters win for once.
RMFG_187
7/26/08 12:21:45AM

Posted by Manfred

Good rant. Two comments:

2. What happened to Franklin / Hendo. Did I miss that bit of news?

EDIT: I forgot he's fighting Toquinho now. If the guy has a chin and it goes to the ground, Hendo could be in trouble.

4. I agree with mkiv9secsupra about the payouts. Rather than comparing the payouts to a UFC fighter and think they are over-paying, maybe consider the UFC is under-paying?

Especially since the take in so much more cash. Keep in mind they are sell more DVDs than any other sport, they have UFC on-demand, fight club memberships and some big sponsors.

Franklin Hendo is scratched, Franklin is fighting Hamill at LHW, Palhares will sub Hendo, u watch.
jiujitsufreak74
7/26/08 12:33:36AM

Posted by JackHammerXXX

4.Affliction's payouts were RIDICULOUS! I repeat RIDICULOUS! I mean, get your money to all the fighters, But ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Lindland got 300 plus a bonus for what he did? Rampage hasn't been paid a "purse" of that size anytime I believe(Icould be wrong on that) but that's unheard of. Sylvia got 800? Fedor 300? I don't know how they will pay them for the next show, but I'm going to watching for those numbers, because I'll tell you right now Atencio-don't think you can pay them in Affliction T-shirts!
5.I need another Wandy fight ASAP!

-Thanks for letting me rant, "The Hammer"

Quinton got $285,000 for fighting Forrest and $225, 000 for beating Liddell.
JackHammerXXX
7/26/08 11:16:10AM
Yeah...and he's the, was the UFC champion. If my rant threw everyone off, so be it. But, if it drew some more needed attention to the pay scale over at the UFC, then maybe that was the purpose. It was a spontaneous conversation I had earlier that day.
I don't like that guys are getting paid all that money(Lindland esp.) to come out and bore us. I've watched many sports athletes fight, and play hard to get their contracts, those 5 to 7 year deals where they get outrageous amounts of money, then they put it on cruise control(Shaun Alexander). I've watched boxers earn multi-million dollar checks for 12 rounds of light sparring. To me, as a fighter, your heart is in there as well. Matt Lindland, I don't care how high they have him ranked, fighting like that for that much money? I'd rather see guys like Wandy, Lyoto, Forrest, Hendo even, getting paid that money. So maybe all this rant is leading to, is the difference in payscales from UFC to Affliction. I think Affliction's is wrong. UFC is still in business, and they've improved on the bonuses, and I believe fighters who earn, and fight for theirs will see an improvment with their contracts in the future. Maybe, due in part for Affliction's spending sprees?!
I like a fighter to get paid, don't get me wrong. I just really hope they give Lindland what he asked for, and match him up with Vitor. So he can earn another 300 thousand, this time for getting his head knocked off.
Manfred
7/26/08 12:01:31PM

Posted by JackHammerXXX
UFC is still in business, and they've improved on the bonuses, and I believe fighters who earn, and fight for theirs will see an improvment with their contracts in the future.

UFC 70: $843,000
UFC 71: $920,500 ($750K just for Chuck & Rampage)
UFC 74: $730,000
UFC 77: $652,000
UFC 79: $1,199,000 ($500 for Chuck)
UFC 81: $892,000
UFC 82: $932,000
UFC 84: $1,098,000
UFC 86: $943,000

In the last year or so, salaries have gone up, but there is still some room for improvement.
Kracker_Jap
7/26/08 12:23:25PM
Some of here are Smart enough to know the UFC is a private company and does not disclose all of there pay to the fighters.....

As finally proved when they opened there books for the Randy Couture argument.... (By the way totatlly made Randy look like a liar)

As said above the UFC makes plenty of money but how much we will never know Because they are a private company and they do not have to tell the public... And we will never really know how much they pay fighters Randy was about 250-500k disclosed per fight but after the UFC opened their books it proved he was actually making around 1 million per fight

So really Rant on that

God Bless America were Companies can make money and fighters can get paid without it being everyones business