why isnt there split decisions in title fights?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » why isnt there split decisions in title fights?
The8One5
1/16/08 11:39:49PM
might be a dumb question but plenty of fights have been closer than unanamous in a 5 round fight, is it merely giving the champ the benefit of the doubt if its scored 2 rounds for the champ and 3 for the challenger? can someone tell me why this is?
The8One5
1/17/08 1:07:44AM
really? nobody can answer this?
telnights
1/17/08 1:22:33AM
Most title fights always end lopsided victorys. I can only think of on one hand the number of fights that where really closes fights that where title fights that ended I would have called it for the other guy. Most of those were in Pride not UFC 5 round rules.
The8One5
1/17/08 1:38:20AM

Posted by telnights

Most title fights always end lopsided victorys. I can only think of on one hand the number of fights that where really closes fights that where title fights that ended I would have called it for the other guy. Most of those were in Pride not UFC 5 round rules.

all about opinion i suppose and probably why im not a judge lol
telnights
1/17/08 1:55:07AM

Posted by The8One5

Posted by telnights

all about opinion i suppose and probably why im not a judge lol

LOL I don't think I could be a fair one either but at least we are honest enough with our selves to know that.
Schizoidman
1/17/08 10:14:24AM
the point is to have an undisputed champion at the end. if there's a split decision, there's a dispute. it's self-defeating. at least that's the only logical explaination i can think of.
Daddyprimetime
1/17/08 11:08:05AM
The reason this happens is because in a title fight the challenger has to clearly and decisively win a round. They aren't gonna just give the belt away. So if the round is close the champ will win the round 9 times out of 10. And most title fights aren't real close when it comes down to the decision.