Why isnt Matt Lindland Fighting in UFC/Pride?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Why isnt Matt Lindland Fighting in UFC/Pride?
Next Page »
tomp6581
2/15/07 11:37:07AM
He is ranked #1 middleweight in the world yet has signed with bodog.....does anyone know why he left ufc?

Thanks.
Manfred
2/15/07 11:46:55AM
The official cause was he wore an "unauthorized" sponsor shirt to a weigh-in.

Conspiracy buffs think it was because he was close to a title shot and UFC didn't want a boring champ/they wanted to protect Ace. Only Dana knows I guess

ffforgottenx
2/15/07 11:52:13AM

Posted by Manfred

The official cause was he wore an "unauthorized" sponsor shirt to a weigh-in.

Conspiracy buffs think it was because he was close to a title shot and UFC didn't want a boring champ/they wanted to protect Ace. Only Dana knows I guess

what he said..

hes now signed to fight 3 fights at heavyweight for bodog, but he is keeping himself open to fight in many organizations.. i think we may see him in PRIDE eventually, but i'm not sure if we will see him back in the UFC or not
Manfred
2/15/07 11:55:10AM
Of course, it's easier to promote Jim Carrey than "Sloth" from The Goonies
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2 Photo Attachment 3 Photo Attachment 4
AchillesHeel
2/15/07 12:08:10PM

Posted by tomp6581

He is ranked #1 middleweight in the world yet[...]

I disagree with your premise.
tomp6581
2/15/07 12:38:00PM
I didn't just make it up.....

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/topten.asp?articleid=14&zoneid=15

AchillesHeel
2/15/07 1:32:57PM

Posted by tomp6581

I didn't just make it up.....

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/topten.asp?articleid=14&zoneid=15

I know. I think they need to put the pipe down, too.
fedorwins1
2/15/07 1:39:46PM

Posted by Manfred

Holy crap Franklin looks just like Jim Carrey lol
hippysmacker
2/15/07 1:56:26PM
I rank Lindland #1 also, but I will be changing that in the next 6 months if he doesn't start fighting ranked middleweight's. Last one he fought was Horn. Losing to a bunch of LHVY's and HVY's will just prove he should go back to middleweight IMO. I understand he wants to make money, but if he really does fight all 3 Bodog fight's at heavyweight he is making a huge career mistake IMO. Fedor, Alek's, and Monson( only 3 HVY's I've heard them signing would all overpower and humiliate him if you ask me. Ranking's are subjective and all based on personal opinion of course. The only way they would ever become more than opinion would be if every single fighter at a given weight fought eachother multiple imes. Add the fact that some people match up better stylewise with other's and it's all relative. I want to see Lindland against A. silva, Filho, Hendo( unlikely since the are on the same team), Franklin, kang, Misaki, Marquardt etc. Who cares if he last 2 rounds with Fedor? No one I know questions his toughness, just his career choices.
ffforgottenx
2/15/07 2:17:06PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I rank Lindland #1 also, but I will be changing that in the next 6 months if he doesn't start fighting ranked middleweight's. Last one he fought was Horn. Losing to a bunch of LHVY's and HVY's will just prove he should go back to middleweight IMO. I understand he wants to make money, but if he really does fight all 3 Bodog fight's at heavyweight he is making a huge career mistake IMO. Fedor, Alek's, and Monson( only 3 HVY's I've heard them signing would all overpower and humiliate him if you ask me. Ranking's are subjective and all based on personal opinion of course. The only way they would ever become more than opinion would be if every single fighter at a given weight fought eachother multiple imes. Add the fact that some people match up better stylewise with other's and it's all relative. I want to see Lindland against A. silva, Filho, Hendo( unlikely since the are on the same team), Franklin, kang, Misaki, Marquardt etc. Who cares if he last 2 rounds with Fedor? No one I know questions his toughness, just his career choices.

actually both lindland and hendo have said in interviews that they would fight each other for the right ammount of money.. if i can find the interviews again i will post a link.. he said something like 'we have competed against eachother in wrestling before plenty of times.. if they want to pay us to beat eachother up, thats fine with me'
hippysmacker
2/15/07 2:21:25PM

Posted by ffforgottenx

Posted by hippysmacker

actually both lindland and hendo have said in interviews that they would fight each other for the right ammount of money.. if i can find the interviews again i will post a link.. he said something like 'we have competed against eachother in wrestling before plenty of times.. if they want to pay us to beat eachother up, thats fine with me'

I don't doubt you, but I still a beleive people cannot unleash to there full potential against close friends or family. That " for enough money thing" always makes me sad. Money is the root of all evil to me.
Dadaman
2/15/07 4:08:22PM
Linland is the eternal Journeyman. I think it'll be interesting to see where his fighting future takes him. With all these semi-top tier shows and other up-and-coming promotions I think Linland may be doing the smart thing by keeping his options open.

There is also very little doubt in my mind that he is the best at 183-185. I think he would dominate Silva to a UD. He could probably do the same to most other fighters at this weight class including Hendo, Filho, Kang and Franklin.

For some reason I can see Swick being the answer for Linland's style.
Reignofterror
2/15/07 4:12:30PM

Posted by Manfred

LMFAO!
loller90278
2/15/07 8:06:06PM
i dunno i kinda see lindland like a poor mans version of jason stratham (crank, snatch)

but sloth is def. more fnnier
Dadaman
2/15/07 10:37:32PM
Ttt because I think Linland is the Black Sheep of MMA and always interesting to talk about
scoozna
2/16/07 2:42:54PM
He's almost 37. I think I'd start following the money too. Might not be something that makes the fans happy, but if he sees more money due to longevity in a second -tier league, it makes a lot of $ense to me.
hippysmacker
2/18/07 6:49:20PM
Black sheep sure, but I really think he is doing himself, his fans, and MMA a disservice by not fighting other top 10 middleweight's.
JimiMak
2/18/07 7:37:35PM
The guy had a chance (or more) at "the big show", they decided that no matter how good he was they didn't want to promote him. If you read the cover page article on him it looks like he is doing better for himself and his family in a lot of areas (financially being a big factor). While I rank him #1 and would like to see him prove that, I can't blame him for taking the options which give his family the most stability. Even if he becomes a "loser" at HVY he will always, IMO, fight at a level that garners him respect (even if he becomes unranked @ Middleweight). To see him clash w/ Silva, Hendo, Filho, Kang and etc is what we all want and I can't understand why Dana wouldn't offer him the right money. But business is business and no matter what we all want, for them this is business.
nate22
2/18/07 7:49:56PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Black sheep sure, but I really think he is doing himself, his fans, and MMA a disservice by not fighting other top 10 middleweight's.

You know I disagree with you here. Lindlands not in the UFC because they don't want him there, he hasn't been offered a contract and they have made little attempt to bring him back to the UFC with the money that he deserves. It's the UFC that screws the fighters with the pay packets, they are still shockingly terrible. I don't know if you know much about business but in terms of what the UFC pays their assets to the amount they take in PPV and ticket sales, the only big winners are Zuffa.

Pride have made no offer for Lindland either, I don't know why, if i'm wrong, then somebody tell me why he's not there. But as I say, outside of the UFC and Pride he has fought Horn at MW, one of the best competitors available to him, other than that I think it's difficult to criticise the direction he's taken, especially when you take into account his age and such.
JimiMak
2/18/07 8:16:53PM

Posted by nate22

Posted by hippysmacker

You know I disagree with you here. Lindlands not in the UFC because they don't want him there, he hasn't been offered a contract and they have made little attempt to bring him back to the UFC with the money that he deserves. It's the UFC that screws the fighters with the pay packets, they are still shockingly terrible. I don't know if you know much about business but in terms of what the UFC pays their assets to the amount they take in PPV and ticket sales, the only big winners are Zuffa.

Pride have made no offer for Lindland either, I don't know why, if i'm wrong, then somebody tell me why he's not there. But as I say, outside of the UFC and Pride he has fought Horn at MW, one of the best competitors available to him, other than that I think it's difficult to criticise the direction he's taken, especially when you take into account his age and such.

Couldn't agree more, nate22. When you take age and his now six-figure per fight guaruntee into consideration... well god only knows why he doesn't get big offers from the big two, but he has to go where he can support his family. And like you said, it's not like there's a big difference in contract offers--- he doesn't seem to be getting offers from Zuffa or DSE. Don't know why, but he's prob'ly the best fighter that the big two show no interest in (I realize that's arguable cuz of all the good featherweights). He deserves to make top of the food chain money. He has to go where that is.
nate22
2/18/07 8:28:46PM
I have a theory why UFC don't want him, I've seen Lindland post on a few forums and the guy is truly hilarious, one of the most amusing posters I have seen. If the attitude he has online compares with what he is like in real life, although it's just speculation I can imagine there would be a big personality dispute between him and Dana. Dana seems like and has been in the past, the type of guy to allow personal feelings towards a fighter get in the way of business.

Is anybody in the know with a genuine answer as to why UFC haven't offered him the contract?
JimiMak
2/18/07 8:45:45PM

Posted by nate22

Is anybody in the know with a genuine answer as to why UFC haven't offered him the contract?

I won't claim to be in the know. I will provide what I think is a good credible basis of theory. First off, the reason for letting him go, if I'm not mistaken, related to him being sponsored by a betting site. That is a violation of rules they are given, just like ppl don't agree w/ decisions such as the recent ones on marijuana-- regardless of if you agree the fighters are given these lists of what not to wear/have in you system, blah, blah .... beforehand. I don't think Lindland is the type to throw a fight, but you can't argue with it looking fishy that you're sponsored by a bookie.

After that you take into consideration things like he was seen as "boring" and "unsellable". He is seen as being good but unlikeable. In this day and age of this business that equals no money. Fortunately for him he has found the money on the outskirts of the mainstream. Unfortunately for true fight fans business will always take precedence.
hippysmacker
2/21/07 4:52:07AM
You know it's interesting that Dana said in the MMAweekly interview the other day that Lindlan F'ed him. He also said Lindland would be welcome back in the UFC. I think maybe Lindland wants to step right into a title shot. I think if he keeps fighting( and probaly losing IMo) at HVY this won't help his chances. If he went around and fought other high profile 185 lb. guyd who aren't in the UFC( SHamrock, Villasenor, Manhoef, Loiseau, Prangley, Tanner) and beats them I think it would help his chances. Heck, he's not Baroni. Dana might actually give Lindland a title shot if he went and pummelled Shamrock for him.
nate22
2/21/07 9:12:50AM

Posted by hippysmacker

You know it's interesting that Dana said in the MMAweekly interview the other day that Lindlan F'ed him. He also said Lindland would be welcome back in the UFC. I think maybe Lindland wants to step right into a title shot. I think if he keeps fighting( and probaly losing IMo) at HVY this won't help his chances. If he went around and fought other high profile 185 lb. guyd who aren't in the UFC( SHamrock, Villasenor, Manhoef, Loiseau, Prangley, Tanner) and beats them I think it would help his chances. Heck, he's not Baroni. Dana might actually give Lindland a title shot if he went and pummelled Shamrock for him.

Shutting up Shamrock is probably Lindlands best chance for a shot at the belt in the UFC.
madmarck
2/21/07 9:52:00AM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by Manfred

Holy crap Franklin looks just like Jim Carrey lol

That is how he got his nickname. Ace for Ace Ventura.

But Matt Lindland has the #1 MW in the world. OKay he has had some aweosme fihgts lately but who in the TOP10 MW has he beat? Horn is the only top guy he has beat. WE havent seen him fight the other guys. Is he pulling a Frank Shamrock and simply avoiding fighting the best so he looks good?
Yes his fihgt with Rampage was good....... but he didnt win.
When Lindland wins the 185 belt in Pride or the UFC then you can rank him #1.
IMO right now he shouldnt be any higher than #5. There is just such a mystique around him now.
Greene33
2/21/07 11:18:22AM
I think Dana wants Lindland back, i predict that Lindland will be fighting in the UFC before 07 is over...

I think whoever KO's Frank Shamrock (Baroni, Lindland whoever) will automatically be given a shot at the UFC MW title.
nate22
2/21/07 11:21:38AM

Posted by Greene33

I think Dana wants Lindland back, i predict that Lindland will be fighting in the UFC before 07 is over...

I think whoever KO's Frank Shamrock (Baroni, Lindland whoever) will automatically be given a shot at the UFC MW title.

I really hope not, unless it was Lindland or somebody who is aready on a run in the UFC, Nate, Swick, etc.

Beating Frank gives you sweet fa credibility towards a title shot, unless you're already on the verge of one in the first place.
Greene33
2/21/07 1:08:00PM

Posted by nate22

Posted by Greene33

I really hope not, unless it was Lindland or somebody who is aready on a run in the UFC, Nate, Swick, etc.

Beating Frank gives you sweet fa credibility towards a title shot, unless you're already on the verge of one in the first place.

Well i heard in the interview with Baroni that Dana said if he ko's Frank he will be brought in to challange Anderson, I was just streaching with whoever KO's frank first will be given a shot, i am just assuming that since Dana basically put a hit out on Frank by offering a title shot to Baroni if he KO's Frank, he would do it for anyone else... Its a strech i know, but with the way Frank and Dana hate each other i wouldnt be surprised to see Dana snatch up any fighter that KO's Frank...
hippysmacker
2/22/07 8:32:22PM
Dana answred this in the recent MMAweekly interview. He said he hopes Baroni kick's Frank's head off, but would not give him a title shot if he does it. However, he did say he would welcome him back to the UFC.
JimiMak
2/22/07 9:41:04PM
Matt Lindland #1? .... I can see how you could deny him #1, but where do you place him? Sometimes when you watch a guy fight you can see a lot about talent etc... while you can only guess as to who he would beat that he has never faced, that is a large part of trying ot rank among different organizations. It's all only guess work. Part of ranking is who they have beaten, then you get a guy like Lindland that has been "out of the loop" and fighting out of weight for a while or a guy like BJ who fights different weight classes etc and hasn't done much in "his" weight class. Both of those guys get regularly ranked in the top 3 of what is seen as their weight because of a lot of things that are more intangible than their record. Also record doesn't show a lot, look at A.Silva's loss to Chonan (noone ranks Chonan as high as Silva) or Arlovski's loss to Datsik.
Pages: [1] 2