Irvin Vows April Return, Calls Out Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Irvin Vows April Return, Calls Out Silva
DCRage
1/6/09 10:42:21AM
After finishing up a 9-month NSAC suspension, Jamies Irvin vows to return to UFC on April 19 and also claims he's going to be asking for Top 10 guys every time out. Or, at least for now, Silvas-after fighting Anderson last time out, Irvin now wants Wanderlei when he returns.

Article
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/6/09 10:46:23AM
Quite frankly, this made me laugh
originalconspiracy
1/6/09 11:21:54AM
is he serious?
ohiostate1016
1/6/09 11:25:30AM
Man, a guy knocks out Houston Alexander in 8 seconds, and suddenly he thinks he's the greatest fighter on the planet!

I guess it makes sense that since he already lost to Thiago and Anderson that he may as well lose to Wanderlei too. He wants to have a complete career, you know?
postman
1/6/09 11:29:03AM
Hey its a good time to call out Wandy. He dosn't have the chin he used to and Irvin hits hard he connects and scores a ko it would shock alot of ppl he loses he can say well i tried my best agiants one of the best.
cowcatcher
1/6/09 11:38:51AM

Posted by postman

Hey its a good time to call out Wandy. He dosn't have the chin he used to and Irvin hits hard he connects and scores a ko it would shock alot of ppl he loses he can say well i tried my best agiants one of the best.

exactly, he wants to fight top 10 guys because its a no lose situation for him, as far as im concerned its a smart move. if he does win against a big name he gets to fight another big named guy, if not he doesnt really fall at all, he just goes back to man his post at the gate.
wiggum
1/6/09 12:13:56PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by postman

exactly, he wants to fight top 10 guys because its a no lose situation for him, as far as im concerned its a smart move. if he does win against a big name he gets to fight another big named guy, if not he doesnt really fall at all, he just goes back to man his post at the gate.

agreed......thing is, i think irvin has a better chance than people are giving him to win this fight (if it happens).....they both like to stand and bang, both can be knocked out...i think technique wise, irvins striking is a little more refined, but silva is an animal....i think it would come down to who landed the first hard punch, my money would be on silva.....irvin wins, he goes up a little, he loses, he stays the same...silva either stays the same or goes further down (down to middleweight hopefully!)
sparky
1/6/09 12:14:52PM
To be honest im tired of hearing the whole Wanderlei doesnt have a chin any more crap its just non sense he can take a punch. Rampage could do that to anyone he is one of the hardest hitters in the business. And for the James Irvin situation shit give him a shot at Wanderlei if he wants it. Thats what the sport is about exciting fights and that one wouldnt go the distance. Sounds like a good fight to me I know id be interested in watching it.
DCRage
1/6/09 12:18:11PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by postman

It's only a lose situation if he loses. Should he fight Wandy and lose he's at 4-5 in UFC. Normally that doesn't cut it especially considering he doesn't really have the name recognition or drawing power to make it work.
cowcatcher
1/6/09 1:12:52PM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by postman

It's only a lose situation if he loses. Should he fight Wandy and lose he's at 4-5 in UFC. Normally that doesn't cut it especially considering he doesn't really have the name recognition or drawing power to make it work.

i dont think the ufc cuts him with a loss to wandy though, the brass seems to like irvin. hell he was the guy that was pegged to fight anderson at 205, so obviously they like the guy...........now that i think about it maybe they hate him
scoozna
1/6/09 1:52:52PM
Keep on vowin' Irvin. He's definitely hype-smart.
motorboatensob
1/6/09 2:02:31PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Man, a guy knocks out Houston Alexander in 8 seconds, and suddenly he thinks he's the greatest fighter on the planet!

I guess it makes sense that since he already lost to Thiago and Anderson that he may as well lose to Wanderlei too. He wants to have a complete career, you know?

He lost to Thiago due to his knee and from the start of the fight Thiago was on his way to his first lose. As far as his lose to Anderson what dose that say everyone has lost to Anderson. Had it not been for his knee Irvin would be were Thiago is right now fighting the dragon. The man can fight and fight well I say let him call out who ever he wants I would give him a very good chance.
Twenty20Dollars
1/6/09 4:00:07PM
if they both move to MW, I would be fine with that. More hard hitters in the MW division.
Gipper
1/6/09 4:05:46PM
wand would rip him apart

you can't really knock wand for losing to cro cop, hendo, liddell and jackson considering when cro cop, hendo and jackson beat wand it was at the peaks of their career.

we all saw what happened to jardine when wand went down a level in copetition.
Wolfenstein
1/6/09 4:14:06PM
I give him credit for wanting to fight the best, but why would the best want to fight him? Nothing to gain and everythng to lose. If he wants to fight a top ten fighter every time out, then become a top ten fighter.
GrandMaster313
1/6/09 4:41:25PM
I think it would actually be a good fight. Wandy wants redemption from his last lost and the same goes for Irvin. It might play out into a 3 round slugfest like the Liddell fight.
MMAcca
1/6/09 5:12:36PM
Irvin will never be a top-ten fighter imo, but this fight would be a good challenge for him. The same goes for Wanderlei, he needs a good KO to stop all those whispers of retirement.

The main question is, will Joe Silva agree ?
jae_1833
1/6/09 7:32:43PM
I think this is tha fight that Irvin thought he had last time before he found out it was going to be Anderson. It's a fight Irvin needs, big name, loves to stay in the pocket and bang, massive endurance and KO power from hell. If they actually fight I will pick and gamble on Irvin for sure. FTW!!!
ohiostate1016
1/6/09 8:08:30PM

Posted by motorboatensob

Posted by ohiostate1016

He lost to Thiago due to his knee and from the start of the fight Thiago was on his way to his first lose. As far as his lose to Anderson what dose that say everyone has lost to Anderson. Had it not been for his knee Irvin would be were Thiago is right now fighting the dragon. The man can fight and fight well I say let him call out who ever he wants I would give him a very good chance.

1 question: are you James Irvin, one of his family members, or a member of his camp?

And it's loss, not lose.
ThaAxeMurderer7
1/6/09 8:22:06PM
I really can't wait to see Wanderlei back. At this point, I could care less who he fights. I just want him back in there. The last fight with page def. didn't satisfy my withdrawals and I could really use my Wandy fix.
jdp1975
1/6/09 10:23:08PM
i walk around at 175 and i want to fight butterbean, you have to set high goals in life!!!

Boo_Radley21
1/7/09 12:53:10AM
This would actually make for a damn good fight IMO. Both guys like to brawl, it has potential to be exciting as hell, so I wouldn't mind seeing it.
CartoonCalvert
1/7/09 9:12:38AM
I agree, Wanderlei is a tough guy - unfortunatley when you get caught from a four ounce glove on the right spot your pretty much going to go down. I don't think Irvin is tough enough to last with Wanderlei even though he has enough skills to be in the UFC - I do think the fight should happen it'll bring back the confidence in Wanderlei after the unfortunate loss.