If Irvin beats Anderson whats happens from there?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » If Irvin beats Anderson whats happens from there?
chickmagnet
6/24/08 4:29:25PM
What happens if James pulls off the upset? Where does it put James in the division. If Irvin beats the p4p best fighter does it put him in line for a title shot?

Thoughts?
wolfman
6/24/08 4:33:50PM
You'd think it would put him in line for a title shot. I mean it is Anderson Silva and he is being declared as the best p4p fighter in MMA right now. I don't think this would be good for the UFC though. This is a huge risk that the UFC is taking and if one of their best fighters loses to a virtual unknown fighter(to the casual fans) it won't look good.
juanez13
6/24/08 4:36:03PM
it will certantly make him stand out in the division, as far as an immediate title shot i doubt it, think of it as when Gonzaga beat Cro Cop, but maybe not an immediate title shot because the division is stacked more than the HW's.

as for anderson, defenately he will loose some steam, but he will still be the MW champ....probably would do a few title defences at MW, than get a rematch with Irvin at LHW with a full training camp.

However, i dont see Irvin winning this fight.
ToeZup
6/24/08 4:36:48PM
Good questions man I have been wondering the same things.
I'm guessing Silva would end up back in the middleweight division and big things would be coming Irvin's way.
Khaos
6/24/08 4:37:21PM
I would also think Title SHot, maybe through in an Ultimate Fighter Angle with someone like Wanderlei or Chuck Liddell

The TUF thing is more of a joke, but I would think a win would guarentee him a title shot.
Franklinfan47
6/24/08 4:38:36PM
Honestly, I don't know what the ufc will or can do if Irvin wins. First off, it makes their mw division look like crap imo if a low level lhw can beat the highest level mw. Does Silva crawl back to his division with his tail between his legs or try his luck against others at lhw? I just don't know.
aaa9erh8er
6/24/08 4:54:12PM
i think it means a lot for irvin to win it mean he can beat a good striker with good submisions. and he will get a liddell or silva or jardine or someone at the top of the LHW div.
Twenty20Dollars
6/24/08 4:58:40PM
I dont think it really means anything if anderson gets beat. Because 205 isnt anderson's weight class, its not where he has established himself. I mean sure irvin moves up alittle bit more in 205 but he will actually have to face contenders at 205 and prolly just get beat down by them.

not a good fight IMO. could be a lose/lose situation for the UFC.
keith-hackney1
6/24/08 5:00:53PM
If james irvin beats anderson silva, then the UFC, dana white, all its management and promoters are gonna wear the crown of the worlds biggest cock suckers to ever stage an MMA event!!! I would love to see dana crack under the press if this was to happen .....
Kpro
6/24/08 5:10:02PM
I don't think beating the top MW puts you 1st in line for a LHW shot at all.

But the momentum he'd gain from it would put him one marquee LHW match away probably.
holt8081
6/24/08 5:15:59PM
now i think he would have to fight alot more guys to be considerd like machida,chuck,wandy,jardine,T.silva, and who ever the loser is in the Rampage forrest fight, he has a loooong way to go.
MMAcca
6/24/08 5:57:44PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I dont think it really means anything if anderson gets beat. Because 205 isnt anderson's weight class, its not where he has established himself. I mean sure irvin moves up alittle bit more in 205 but he will actually have to face contenders at 205 and prolly just get beat down by them.

not a good fight IMO. could be a lose/lose situation for the UFC.

I agree.

The only person who gains from this is Silva.

If he wins he gets hyped more and more at LHW and is probably one fight from a title shot, but if he loses he just moves back down and nobody will think any less of him.

If Irvin wins i still think he will 2/3 fights from a title shot, because people will argue that he should beat a smaller guy(weight division wise) anyway.

Just my opinion......
Mchubb316
6/24/08 6:33:47PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

If james irvin beats anderson silva, then the UFC, dana white, all its management and promoters are gonna wear the crown of the worlds biggest cock suckers to ever stage an MMA event!!! I would love to see dana crack under the press if this was to happen .....

Dana will just say, it goes to show how deep the talent level is in the UFC and that any fighter can beat any fighter on any given day.
keith-hackney1
6/24/08 6:42:44PM

Posted by Mchubb316

Posted by keith-hackney1

Dana will just say, it goes to show how deep the talent level is in the UFC and that any fighter can beat any fighter on any given day.

Spot on
Because thats all he could say .... Though he like many mma fans would probably be slightly puzzled as to why the fight happened in the first place ... ?? Silva has one more fight to defend his title and protect his reign before he should ever think about moving up ... Yushin okami deserved his shot before his loss to franklin ...
telnights
6/24/08 6:53:42PM
Well I don't see Anderson losing this fight but for the sake of the topic I dont think much would happen other than Irvin moving up in the 205 rankings a little bit and Anderson moving back down to 185. Anderson may loss a few spots in the P4P list. If he does win how ever he does it fighters at 185 will try to match Irvin's game plan only to find out Anderson has resolved the issue.
chrismithers
6/24/08 8:13:08PM
It wouldnt be that big. Yeah he beat the top MW in the world. But Anderson isnt the top Light-Heavy in the world. If he does beat Silva though I would give Irvin a match against someone solid that is also in line for a title shot like Machida, Wandy, Chuck(if wins) or Evans(if wins)
Chuteboxer
6/24/08 8:35:59PM
Quite honestly, I don't think the UFC would put Silva against someone they weren't confident he could beat. So Anderson might be tested, yeah; but the thing is, Anderson was looking for a challenge anyways because he knew that the MW division was starting to dry up because of him.

So this is his challenge. If he's serious about uniting both titles or vacating the MW title or whatever he's doing, he's going to come out 100% against Irvin and really do his utmost to win this fight.

Irvin may hit him, it's true, but in all the fights I've seen so far, I haven't seen someone even ROCK Anderson, so it's hard to say whether or not the weight difference will put much more power behind the gloves or not....
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/24/08 11:35:18PM
the world will end.
Gipper
6/25/08 1:28:32AM
could irvin get down to 185 and would he? anybody have any info?
Kracker_Jap
6/25/08 1:37:48AM

Posted by Gipper

could irvin get down to 185 and would he? anybody have any info?

No he probally couldn't he has already dropped weight to make 205 he used to fight Heavyweight.....

When he makes weight now his skin is like paper
NatedawgThaM
6/25/08 4:24:23AM
Anderson would go back down and be the greatest Middleweight champion of all time still. While Irvin gets a rematch with Thiago or maybe gets even Machida since they probably want to keep him busy while they try and give Wandy or Chuck the next title shot.

But I honestly don't think it will happen. Silva takes nobody lightly and he's just to calm, patient, and accurate. I see Irvin pressing and Anderson just picking him apart from the pocket since Irvin will be throwing power into all his shots looking for that one punch KO, while Anderson will be patient and wear him down and stop him probably middle to late in the 1st.
jocka
6/25/08 8:19:50AM
I don't see why it would matter is Anderson looses to a bigger fighther... it won't happend but what is the big deal he'll just drop down to his normal weight class and continu to dominate. What i dont get is why would Irvin get any higher in ranking after beating Silva
cowcatcher
6/25/08 11:22:12AM

Posted by jocka

I don't see why it would matter is Anderson looses to a bigger fighther... it won't happend but what is the big deal he'll just drop down to his normal weight class and continu to dominate. What i dont get is why would Irvin get any higher in ranking after beating Silva

ill help you out here, he will be ranked higher because he beat anderson f'n silva
CornishMMA
6/25/08 11:44:51AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by jocka

ill help you out here, he will be ranked higher because he beat anderson f'n silva

but it would be dismissed by most as a "lucky punch" which would be seriously ironic given the fact that the word "lucky" and James Irvin dont realy go together