Irvin vs Alexander

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Irvin vs Alexander
Next Page »
POLL: Who wins/How?
Irvin KO 82% (9)
Irvin Sub 18% (2)
mkiv9secsupra
3/19/08 12:11:25AM
Im still amazed at the general MMA fan base picking Alexander for this fight. Irvin is a huge and strong guy with better striking than Alexander. Houston has yet to prove he is even anything BUT a hard hitter. I just dont buy in to Alexander i guess and for +230 in odds i can bank quite a few dollars off this fight.

Oops sorry i went to push shift and hit enter and messed up the poll and have no idea how to fix it.
hotrodttt
3/19/08 12:24:19AM
James is definatly the better Striker but he tends to brawl and that's not a good thing when Fighting Houston Alexander, he gets wild when he brawls which he showed us against Mike Kyle where he went into a wild exchange and got Knocked out. So I'm taking Houston Alexander via 1st Round T(KO), Mabey James actually takes him down
Ultimate_fighter
3/19/08 12:28:41AM
I say Alexander 1st round KO...i dont think Irvin can outstrike a brawler like him...
wolfman
3/19/08 12:29:25AM
I agree with you. Although, my first reaction when I heard of this fight I immediately thought it would be an easy TKO win for Alexander. The more I think about it though, the more I see this fight going in Irvin's favor. People forget that Irvin has HEAVY hands as well. He also is pretty good in the clinch, just ask Marshall. In addition, Irvin has good takedowns and he may want to use them against Houston. If you've seen Irvin's earlier fights you would know that he actually does have good takedowns and I hope he takes Alexander down.

Yet, I think he will come out early and test Alexander's suspect chin. Irvin is known for taking shots and has a good chin, yes he was KTFO by Kyle but that fight was at HW and Kyle had a good +20 lbs on him. This is really a 50/50 fight. I am going to stay with my pick of Irvin though...
mkiv9secsupra
3/19/08 12:30:07AM
irvin definitely brawls at times but that is all Houston does. And with those short little arms it should turn out like Liddell/Wandy where Houston wont beable to reach Irvins chin to even try and KO him
wolfman
3/19/08 12:36:01AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

irvin definitely brawls at times but that is all Houston does. And with those short little arms it should turn out like Liddell/Wandy where Houston wont beable to reach Irvins chin to even try and KO him

Yeah, Irvin has a 3 inch reach advantage on him. However, I am worried that Irvin will clinch with him and it will be lights out. I know Irvin can hold his own in the clinch, but Houston is a beast in close range and that is all he needs.
ncordless
3/19/08 12:39:57AM
I think Irvin has a good shot at Alexander. Before the Irvin/T. Silva fight a bunch of people gave Irvin a good shot. Why would it be different vs. Alexander?
Mayhem13
3/19/08 1:16:03AM
I think Alexander is a bit more explosive with his striking...maybe not as technical...but I think he will suck Irvin into brawling with him and drop him in the first.
mrliquid
3/19/08 7:59:10AM
ima have to say Alexander he is a very big guy and hard hitter Irvin is alot better at striking but this isnt boxing if he gets rushed by Houston I don't think he will be able to withstand the guys powerful punches only way I see Alexander him loosing is if he gets taken to the ground in this fight.
NatedawgThaM
3/19/08 7:25:26PM
It does not matter who has the best technique when it comes to Houston Alexander. This fight will end with who throws and lands the first punch first. And Houston just runs and bum rushes, he's not going to circle or nothing. He running straight at you so the reach advantage won't matter.

Alexander will land the first clean punch and will get the 1st round KO. Also people let's not forget Irvin has the worst luck in MMA besides maybe Pete Sell.
candynuts
3/19/08 8:43:23PM
Wasnt Jardine a better striker than Houston??
Houston 1st rd. KO
wolfman
3/19/08 9:14:37PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

It does not matter who has the best technique when it comes to Houston Alexander. This fight will end with who throws and lands the first punch first. And Houston just runs and bum rushes, he's not going to circle or nothing. He running straight at you so the reach advantage won't matter.

Alexander will land the first clean punch and will get the 1st round KO. Also people let's not forget Irvin has the worst luck in MMA besides maybe Pete Sell.

True, and these were my first thoughts. I just feel that Irvin has the better chin of the two and he will come out on top. People have said that Irvin has a weak chin, but he has eaten tough shots from some heavy handed sluggers. Yet, he always seems to come out on top. The guy has a tough chin and a lot of heart, I think Irvin isn't getting enough credit. I know Alexander has a great chance to do just what you and everyone else said, I just have a good feeling that Irvin will weather the storm early and put Alexander to sleep with his heavy hands. I agree, reach advantage goes out the door in the clinch, but I think Irvin is more than ready for Alexander's clinch. At least I hope.
NatedawgThaM
3/19/08 9:23:35PM
I think Houstons chin is better then you think. You Jardine knocked him back with a hook but I think for the most part it was because he was overexcited and anxious making debut and ran into it. Now he’s not nervous and has been training twice as hard since the last loss.

I honestly think Houston can take what Irvin throws more then Irvin could take what Houston throws. Yeah if Irvin stayed on the outside and kept running away and he could definitely win. But it’s just not his style. He likes to come forward in trade which is horrible against Houston unless your mark Hunt. And the reach advantage goes out the window when Houston literally running at your ass, you’ll be lucky to get your guard up in time.

The only way I see Irvin winning is like Chuck-Randy. Houston runs at him against the cage, Irvin moves out the way and while Houston turns away from the cage, Irvin hits him with a perfectly placed straight or uppercut that drops him. But I just can’t see it since IMO Houston is the hardest hitter in the UFC and Irvin has shitty luck. I bet all my money on MMAPlayground something bad happens to Irvin.

Gonna be a hell of a way to start off the greatest fight night ever, that's for sure...
wolfman
3/19/08 9:38:52PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I think Houstons chin is better then you think. You Jardine knocked him back with a hook but I think for the most part it was because he was overexcited and anxious making debut and ran into it. Now he’s not nervous and has been training twice as hard since the last loss.

I honestly think Houston can take what Irvin throws more then Irvin could take what Houston throws. Yeah if Irvin stayed on the outside and kept running away and he could definitely win. But it’s just not his style. He likes to come forward in trade which is horrible against Houston unless your mark Hunt. And the reach advantage goes out the window when Houston literally running at your ass, you’ll be lucky to get your guard up in time.

The only way I see Irvin winning is like Chuck-Randy. Houston runs at him against the cage, Irvin moves out the way and while Houston turns away from the cage, Irvin hits him with a perfectly placed straight or uppercut that drops him. But I just can’t see it since IMO Houston is the hardest hitter in the UFC and Irvin has shitty luck. I bet all my money on MMAPlayground something bad happens to Irvin.

Gonna be a hell of a way to start off the greatest fight night ever, that's for sure...

Yeah, that is what I'm worried about. As like I said, I originally thought of this fight going just as you mentioned. I probably am underestimating Alexander's chin, but Irvin has been in a lot of brawls and seems to come out on top. I am still on the fence with this fight as your breakdown is definitely a possibility, I just want Irvin to win real bad. The thing that sucks is I like both of these fighters, but since Irvin has had such bad luck he deserves a break for once. Yeah, it should be a hell of a brawl!
ultimateweapon
3/19/08 10:34:17PM
Alexander vs irvin will be a good fight two guys with good striking that tend to brawl will make the fans happy. and not boo. And that pisses me off when people boo when the fight hits the ground.
ncordless
4/2/08 11:57:50PM

Posted by ncordless

I think Irvin has a good shot at Alexander. Before the Irvin/T. Silva fight a bunch of people gave Irvin a good shot. Why would it be different vs. Alexander?

QFT
NatedawgThaM
4/3/08 12:00:52AM
SHEEITT!!!!

Freakin' Houston. Why can't you at least throw jab to distract the man before you rush in because there just going to hit you before you can hit them!!!

Wolfman was right, Houston has a weak chin

BUT HE'S STILL MY BOY! If they can have a James Thompson War Wagon, shoot, I'm staying on the Houston one!!!
ncordless
4/3/08 12:10:32AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

SHEEITT!!!!

Freakin' Houston. Why can't you at least throw jab to distract the man before you rush in because there just going to hit you before you can hit them!!!

BUT HE'S STILL MY BOY! If they can have a James Thompson War Wagon, shoot, I'm staying on the Houston one!!!

More power to you. I am all about fans who stay with their fav fighters even when they lose.
Kastro
4/3/08 12:35:46AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Im still amazed at the general MMA fan base picking Alexander for this fight. Irvin is a huge and strong guy with better striking than Alexander. Houston has yet to prove he is even anything BUT a hard hitter. I just dont buy in to Alexander i guess and for +230 in odds i can bank quite a few dollars off this fight.

Oops sorry i went to push shift and hit enter and messed up the poll and have no idea how to fix it.

Gotta agree with ya bro, everyone thinks Houston is unstoppable due to his 2 impressive first fights in the octagon.. but I saw holes in his game..

I made some good coin by predicting Thiago Silva to beat him and even more coin tonight by picking Irvin to beat him..

Gotta love Houston though, 4 fights in the UFC and 4 knockouts.. lol.
MMA
4/3/08 10:37:22AM
I was surprised by the outcome of this fight and come on Houston, can your kids really knock you out?

I really don't see how any can complain that this an early stoppage. Houston was totally out and only came back after the ref stepped in. The bangwagon was derailing and now it has crashed.
Jlloyd
4/3/08 11:24:18AM
suprised by this, i expected Alexander to come in far more prepared

i wonder whats next for him now
jocka
4/3/08 11:46:33AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

SHEEITT!!!!

I am with you on that one he lost and yes he was out lol but i still tlove the guy so lets wee whats next for him.
mkiv9secsupra
4/3/08 3:56:37PM
I dont think Houston has a weak chin at all. Irvin is a really hard hitter, almost like a McFedries at 205. Props to Irvin for the fastest KO in the UFC. I would love to see him get in there with Forrest or Jardine. I guess all that bad luck dissipated finally!!!
wolfman
4/3/08 6:09:04PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I dont think Houston has a weak chin at all. Irvin is a really hard hitter, almost like a McFedries at 205. Props to Irvin for the fastest KO in the UFC. I would love to see him get in there with Forrest or Jardine. I guess all that bad luck dissipated finally!!!

Correction, tied for the fastest KO in the UFC. Also, I really do think that Houston has a weak chin. No doubt Irvin has heavy hands, yet it is hard to knock someone down with a superman punch. Usually, even if it catches someone clean it doesn't put them on the mat like that imo.
gartface
4/3/08 7:35:32PM
Tied with Don Frye right?
blkssncpt
4/3/08 8:23:48PM
WAR SANDMAN!!!!! i had my money on Irvin the whole time, i'v been his fan for a while and i was still a fan through last year and now this, F*CK yeah....

Alexander is such a little bitch about it just accept it and move on, did Liddel complain after Rampage KO'd him?? NOPE he just took it lik a man and moved on. hate to rant but i didnt lik all the hype around Houston Alexander when he came in to the UFC now the wholes in his game are being exposed, plus it doesnt hurt that Irvin does have heavy hands

-Rob
mkiv9secsupra
4/3/08 8:38:39PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Correction, tied for the fastest KO in the UFC. Also, I really do think that Houston has a weak chin. No doubt Irvin has heavy hands, yet it is hard to knock someone down with a superman punch. Usually, even if it catches someone clean it doesn't put them on the mat like that imo.

Yeah i know it was tied i just didnt feel like typing it out.

The way Irvin connected with Houstons chin was a KO shot even if it was glancing. When he hit the chin it moved it and the nerve behind your jaw is extremely sensitive almost creating a knockout reflex. Think of that nerve the same as getting hit in the back of the head. It is a really sensitive area and if you are hit there its very easily a lights out situation. So i dont contribute it too much to Hostons chin but more so on the power of Irvin. But there still isnt enough to judge if Houstons chin is weak or not. Only time will tell.
tberg420
4/3/08 8:42:22PM
Houston got KO'ed fast and I still stand by picking him. James Irvin has been the nail more times than the hammer. Also Houston is a great guy if you've had the opportunity to meet him. He won't lose me as a fan!
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
4/3/08 9:17:24PM
i want to see houston fight james thompson so there can be the first ever double ko in a fight.
SociopathX
4/3/08 10:57:48PM
Too bad we couldn't have watched them fight again in the parking lot.

I was in the kitchen making a drink and came back and the fight was over.
Pages: [1] 2