Iron Man

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Iron Man
hippysmacker
5/2/08 10:22:42PM
Just came back from it. Much better than I expected. Also, great soundtrack from what I heard
Twenty20Dollars
5/2/08 11:10:43PM
is it worth seeing it in theathers for 9$ or waiting to rent it?
bullettdodger
5/2/08 11:12:14PM
worth it i'd say but its hard to account for personal taste
hippysmacker
5/2/08 11:20:22PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

is it worth seeing it in theathers for 9$ or waiting to rent it?

Definitely worth it for me
juanez13
5/2/08 11:34:11PM
Yea i think its worth it, Not the greatest movie but it liked it.
Pitbull09
5/3/08 12:57:26AM
I was surprised too. I would put it only under batman and spiderman in superhero movies.

Robert Downey Jr is a great actor and was perfect for this role.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/3/08 2:41:25PM

Posted by Pitbull09

I was surprised too. I would put it only under batman and spiderman in superhero movies.

u left out Catwoman w/ Halle Berry
Pitbull09
5/3/08 3:17:05PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by Pitbull09

u left out Catwoman w/ Halle Berry

Lol your right! And Electra too, those movies were the shit!
throwmeahotone
5/4/08 2:04:07PM
it was pretty good id recommend it
Kpro
5/4/08 3:38:50PM
It was great and highly recommended aside from Jeff Bridges never said "They gave the dude a beeper".
DCRage
5/4/08 5:18:19PM
Did you all hear about the numbers it did this weekend? The early estimate is $100.7 million. If that holds, it's the 10th-biggest opening weekend EVER. Also 4th among superhero films and behind only the first Spider-Man in non-sequel openings. And if you add international numbrers, it's already over $201 million. Not sure when/if I'll see it, the first big movie I'm seeing this summer is Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and that's not out until mid-August. (Excluding Speed Racer, I'm going to see that later this month and only because one theater's got it in IMAX).
tberg420
5/4/08 7:14:24PM
Yeah it was enjoyable. The ending after the credits sets up an exciting movie down the road as well.
Pitbull09
5/4/08 9:35:00PM
Can anyone tell me what happens after the credits? I didnt stay after....
wolfman
5/4/08 10:17:50PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Can anyone tell me what happens after the credits? I didnt stay after....

Here you go

At the crowds' reactions.
Pookie
5/5/08 4:32:55AM
I liked Harold and Kumar more, but Ironman was a pretty good flick, id recomend it.
pv3Hpv3p
5/5/08 10:38:39AM
caught it at the drive in with my old lady this weekend... It was a lot better than I excpected, she even liked it... Downey does a really good job in it too, which suprised me a little...
AchillesHeel
5/5/08 12:26:19PM
I thought it was great. Pretty much everyone was perfectly cast. It had the right balance of action, plot advancement and character development (with one exception, see below). The way they spent time showing the development of the technology was great, and very "comic booky" (which was ideal - the people who complain about it being unrealistic shouldn't have gone to see the movie in the first place, imo).

The one mistake I thought the film made was in "using up" Obadiah Stane/Ironmonger so fast. Supposedly, the film was made with a trilogy in mind, so I don't think it was necessary to advance that plotline so fast. The guy from The Ten Rings who was using Stark weapons against the civilians in Afghanistan would have been a sufficient villain for this first episode. There were plenty of hints that a greater evil was brewing, that could have been saved for one of the sequels. Stane is supposed to be Tony Stark's "uber" villain.

By contrast, I think they did Rhodey perfectly. Anyone who ever followed the comic knows that he eventually gets his own suit of armor and the film threw out some hints to that effect, and suggested how Rhodey's view of duty, justice, and power differs a little from Tony's (you could think of Tony as the Democrat and Rhodey as the Republican). The low-key appearance by the guys from the office of Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division was also done right ("You guys need a shorter name." "Yeah, we're working on that.").

4 stars out of 5.
Kpro
5/5/08 10:08:15PM
Supposedly in Iron Man 2, Stark goes deep into alcoholism. I never read the comics or know anything about Iron Man but apparently this is a common theme in the comics too (?)
NinjaCyborg
5/6/08 7:34:29PM

Posted by Kpro

Supposedly in Iron Man 2, Stark goes deep into alcoholism. I never read the comics or know anything about Iron Man but apparently this is a common theme in the comics too (?)

Yeah thats accurate with the comics. And then Tony Stark fakes his death and drops off the radar, and Rhodey wears the Iron Man armor, but he calls himself War Machine. He's pretty bad ass.
AchillesHeel
8/21/09 10:09:48PM
Bump, fifteen months later.

I just watched "Iron Man" again, for the first time since it was in theaters. Maybe it's the beer talking, but I actually liked it better this time, and have increased my rating for this film to 5 stars out of 5. My complaint about concluding the Obadiah Stane story arc remains, but... eh, screw it... Jeff Bridges really played the Heck outta that part, and the Iron Man/Iron Monger street fight was entertaining. And as I said earlier, every role was perfectly cast. As much as I like Don Cheadle, I'm genuinely bummed out that Terrence Howard won't be back for the sequel.

My one complaint with the DVD was that the sound levels seemed unchanged from the theatrical version. I had to turn the sound all the way up to hear some of the dialogue, while keeping a thumb on the remote, lest the sound effects blow out the windows. There was a scene where Tony and his Afghan doctor are chatting around a fire, and the sound of the freakin' fire was almost drowning out their voices. If the sound guy had been in the room with me, I'd have tackled him and given him some Fedor-style ground n' pound (like I said, beer).

telnights
8/22/09 1:11:48AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Bump, fifteen months later.

I just watched "Iron Man" again, for the first time since it was in theaters. Maybe it's the beer talking, but I actually liked it better this time, and have increased my rating for this film to 5 stars out of 5. My complaint about concluding the Obadiah Stane story arc remains, but... eh, screw it... Jeff Bridges really played the Heck outta that part, and the Iron Man/Iron Monger street fight was entertaining. And as I said earlier, every role was perfectly cast. As much as I like Don Cheadle, I'm genuinely bummed out that Terrence Howard won't be back for the sequel.

My one complaint with the DVD was that the sound levels seemed unchanged from the theatrical version. I had to turn the sound all the way up to hear some of the dialogue, while keeping a thumb on the remote, lest the sound effects blow out the windows. There was a scene where Tony and his Afghan doctor are chatting around a fire, and the sound of the freakin' fire was almost drowning out their voices. If the sound guy had been in the room with me, I'd have tackled him and given him some Fedor-style ground n' pound (like I said, beer).

I agree, I really really enjoined this movie even more the 2nd time around. My wife bought the collectors edition on BlueRay for me as I was a huge fan of the comic as a kid. I sat back and watched it and wow. Now I didn't have the problem with the sound at all and played great on my Boss system. I also agree about Terrence Howard not being in the 2nd one. I really feel they should have keep him in because he really fit the roll and I don't see how Don Cheadle can fill his shoes.