Irish debutant Egan wanted no part of "The Ultimate Fighter"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Irish debutant Egan wanted no part of "The Ultimate Fighter"
MMAcca
1/15/09 4:06:34PM
He's not the first guy to pass on an opportunity to try out for the UFC's reality show but it is interesting to hear why Irishman Thomas Egan wanted no part of the UFC's highly successful reality show. It's a show that has launched dozens of fighters to new heights in their mixed martial arts career. The Ultimate Fighter 9 is pitting a team of U.S. fighters against a group from the U.K. Technically Egan isn't from the U.K. but he was considering trying out for the show and would've been welcomed with open arms by the organization who lack any sort of Irish presence on its roster.

LINK
Wolfenstein
1/15/09 4:16:20PM
I think you definetely have to respect a guy for not wanting to put himself in a house full of jackasses, despite the huge potential oppurtunity to get his name out there. I mean even if you don't win the show, your name is out there and you've probably guaranteed to get payed twice as much as you're used to getting payed, especially if you lose and fight outside the UFC. Other organizations love TUF washouts, and they typically headline regional shows.

It takes a lot to walk away from that oppurtunity, but for guys like John Hathaway tha live a clean lifestyle--well it's "TUF" to lock yourself away with a bunch of grown men acting like kids, when you're interested in being an MMA fighter, not a reality TV star.

Solidus
1/15/09 5:07:16PM
It's good to see these guys still getting the chance to prove themselves.

That said, I think this fight will be more interesting than a few others on the card, both fighters look very promising from what I've seen. If it wasnt for the Hathaway already having experience in bigger shows I'd probably go with Egan for the win.
HumanTarget
1/15/09 5:44:47PM
Can't say I blame him. I mean honestly think about how much of a drag it is to live in the TUF house. No TV, Music, Internet, News, Contact with family friends. Your life is filmed and they never miss a drop. The fighters are usally immature drunken assholes who start fights. The stress on them must be crazy.
Sir_Karl
1/15/09 5:58:24PM
The funny part is....he decides not to be on TUF...and we are talking about him.
He is in the "spotlight" somewhat right now as we discuss him.

Jesse_Canadian_MMA
1/15/09 8:20:49PM
yeah and I think this fight should be on the main card instead of another jeremy horn loss
Jim_Dangle
1/16/09 12:21:24AM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

yeah and I think this fight should be on the main card instead of another jeremy horn loss

Two unproven Europeans who will never contend for a title over Horn/Palhares?
Manfred
1/16/09 12:50:21AM
Interesting tidbit, Vera also turned down TUF, but it because the post-show contract was crappy
cmb19932
1/16/09 7:20:58AM

Posted by Jim_Dangle

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Two unproven Europeans who will never contend for a title over Horn/Palhares?

well how can you say neither will contend for a title they are as you said unproven and until there proven to be bad or good you cant say that forrest was unproven on tuf