iPod car adaptors?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » iPod car adaptors?
emfleek
12/18/08 3:29:20PM
Anyone have suggestions on a good car adaptor to get for my iPod? I have a cassette player but from what I've read, they're (cassette adaptors) not the greatest.

Cost is sort of an issue...I don't wanna drop $50 on an adaptor. I'd like to keep it in the $15-$30 range. I've done the searching online. I'm more curious to hear about personal experiences. I have a feeling that this is one of those, "you get what you pay for" things. The more I spend, the better.
aaa9erh8er
12/18/08 3:36:41PM
it is. i had a tape deck one that skipped i bought it in the range of 15-20 cant remeber but it didnt work that great. so i finaly got one that pluged into my cig lighter worked alot better and i found it somewhere random for like 10 bucks. my lovely neice decided to throw it out on the free way tho!
but in my experience the best one ive had isa cord made to plug directly into my deck(which needs to be mps compatible) and the cord cost like 6bucks with the deck(that cost close to 250)
so basicaly i recomend the cig lighter one rather then the tape one
emfleek
12/18/08 3:38:58PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

it is. i had a tape deck one that skipped i bought it in the range of 15-20 cant remeber but it didnt work that great. so i finaly got one that pluged into my cig lighter worked alot better and i found it somewhere random for like 10 bucks. my lovely neice decided to throw it out on the free way tho!
but in my experience the best one ive had isa cord made to plug directly into my deck(which needs to be mps compatible) and the cord cost like 6bucks with the deck(that cost close to 250)
so basicaly i recomend the cig lighter one rather then the tape one

That's what I've been told. Now I just need to find the best cigarette lighter adaptor for the most reasonable price.

Thanks, man.
grappler0000
12/18/08 4:12:51PM
From my experience, it depends on where you live...I'll explain. My wife and I both have 2 different cigarette lighter adapters and we've had mixed results (my wife is actually on her second one, but the first one didn't have a charger; only the transmitter). The charging part works well, as does the bendable arm that keeps the iPod right where you want it. The problem we've had is with the transmitter. In my area, pretty much every channel is accounted for...and it seems to tune in best on a channel that gets no signal whatsoever. We've used them on many road trips and have success in different areas, but it seems like we have to keep switching stations when we're in our area. I've used the tape adapters before and they're actually not bad sounding. Your audio quality won't be quite as good, but you will never lose your signal or get interference. So, I guess it's a matter of looking at the pros and cons.

If you do decide to get a transmitter, I would recommend the following.

-Get one that has a digital readout/controls on the transmitter itself. If not, you will likely have to load software and change the channel via a menu system on your iPod. Trust me, this is a pain in the ass.

-Get one with a bendable neck. There are models that have a neck that has many adjustable pieces that tighten and loosen. Again, the bendable one will save you much grief.

-Consider paying a little more for a transmitter that will scan the channels for you. Unless you have a channel in your area that always works well, this will keep you from getting in an accident while trying to find a good channel.

Of coarse, you can get just the transmitter, without a charger. If you already have a charger for your car, this could save you money, but it's really nice to have your iPod propped up in the perfect position.

Edit:
Oh, and the tape adapter cannot cause your music to skip. If there is something wrong with the tape player or the adapter, there could possibly be some audio problems, but the music can only skip at the source...and that's something that would generally not happen with a digital source.
DCRage
12/18/08 4:36:57PM
I'm on my 2nd tape deck, first one worked for a bit then went kaput, my second one has worked much better and I've had no real problems with it since. I think I paid around $10 for it.
Sledge23
12/18/08 4:48:08PM
Ive got a sony deck that has what looks like a headphone jack in the front of it, you plug the ipod straight into....works great.
DCRage
12/18/08 5:00:19PM
I don't remember my brand, it's either a Maxell or a Dynex (cheap brand they sell at Best Buy). Same as above, got the headphone jack. I also have a car charger that plugs into my cigarette lighter.
jakeiceman
12/19/08 2:52:49AM

Posted by Sledge23

Ive got a sony deck that has what looks like a headphone jack in the front of it, you plug the ipod straight into....works great.

Auxillary Input
breakdown5
12/19/08 12:49:26PM
If your into superior sound quality as drive, don't go with the tape deck. I use the tape deck one and the quality isn't great, but not horrible, and they will stop working after awhile, but I got one for five bucks. It's good enough for rocking out on my way to work everyday.
jakeiceman
12/21/08 8:54:56AM

Posted by breakdown5

If your into superior sound quality as drive, don't go with the tape deck. I use the tape deck one and the quality isn't great, but not horrible, and they will stop working after awhile, but I got one for five bucks. It's good enough for rocking out on my way to work everyday.

Pretty much the same with me, I have an aux input in my personal car but in my work vehicle I use the tape deck adapter....it really doesnt sound all that bad. I got my for around 5 bucks too. The best part about them is that you dont have to worry about batteries or using up your power outlets like you would with an FM transmitter.
dannyfrank
12/21/08 9:09:00AM
i have had the exact opposite results. my friend uses a tape deck, which works perfectly. but every cigarette lighter one ive used sucks ass.
cmb19932
12/21/08 10:21:24AM
i use a fm transmitter and it plays through the radio its only 20 bucks and it works really good