IOC Drops Wrestling From 2020 Olympics

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » IOC Drops Wrestling From 2020 Olympics
Next Page »
postman
2/12/13 8:55:56AM
LINK

IOC leaders dropped wrestling from the Olympic program on Tuesday, a surprise decision that removes one of the oldest Olympic sports from the 2020 Games.

The IOC executive board decided to retain modern pentathlon — the event considered most at risk — and remove wrestling instead from its list of 25 "core sports."
grappler0000
2/12/13 9:04:38AM
Bubbles
2/12/13 9:09:52AM
but badminton stays?
postman
2/12/13 9:16:19AM

Posted by Bubbles

but badminton stays?

Yeah really. They had teams throwing the same game trying to get a better match up. I can't figure this out!!! we need an Icon with a guy jumping up and down then his head explodes that's how upsetting this is for me.
prozacnation1978
2/12/13 9:47:05AM
Should let the public vote on it
Sad day to be a wrestler
SmileR
2/12/13 9:59:52AM
This is a joke! Some of the "sports" they have in the Olympics are a joke and they cut one of the original games to make room!
postman
2/12/13 10:12:44AM
Save Wreslting

Everyone should join
KingCmb
2/12/13 10:36:41AM
this is a joke right? im so sad
postman
2/12/13 10:48:48AM
If you like that fb page they have links to a petition as well as a list of major doner email.
airkerma
2/12/13 11:09:58AM

Posted by Bubbles

but badminton stays?

Let's point the finger towards something other than badminton, okay? It's clear that synchronized swimming should be first to go. This former badminton club president would not like to see badminton go
grappler0000
2/12/13 11:21:46AM

Posted by postman

Save Wreslting

Everyone should join

This page is taking off! It's getting literally 100 likes a minutes right now.
postman
2/12/13 11:30:07AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by postman

Save Wreslting

Everyone should join

This page is taking off! It's getting literally 100 likes a minutes right now.

Oh if you hit refresh it jumps like 10 each time.
Dberntson
2/12/13 11:51:46AM
Complete BS. Wrestling is one of the oldest sports in the world, if not the oldest and one of the original olympic sports. The Olympics are a joke.

The only good thing that will come of this is that now you are going to get all the olympic caliber wrestlers coming straight into MMA/UFC instead of training for / competing in the Olympics first.
cowcatcher
2/12/13 12:17:47PM
I'm disgusted. There are a ton of ridiculous events, or events dominated by just a few countries. Synchronized swimming, modern pentathlon, equestrian(which has 3 fucking categories), and aquatic dancing come to mind as ridiculous sports, and taekwondo and table tennis come to mind as sports dominated by only a couple of countries. There were 26 countries represented in the fucking stupid new sport of modern pentathlon(pistol shooting, fencing, swimming, jumping on fucking horses, and cross country running), 71 for wrestling at the last Olympics. Yeah, that modern pentathlon line up of events really flows together and makes perfect sense. Fuck the IOC, this is the stupidest decision they've ever made.
postman
2/12/13 12:23:30PM
I just read this will be making room for Cricket.
Mr_Dead_Sexy
2/12/13 12:44:22PM
But curling stays? Seems legit.
airkerma
2/12/13 1:27:09PM

Posted by postman

Cricket?!?!?!?!? NOBODY understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is, to understand cricket
prophecy033
2/12/13 1:44:19PM
So weak. There are so many worthless sports in the Olympics and the IOC decide to get rid of Wrestling. I guess these guys will be coming over to MMA sooner
State_Champ
2/12/13 1:57:08PM
Three thing immediately sprang to my mind when I heard about the Olympics seemingly dropping wrestling from the Games:

1) Hopefully this doesn't mark any further decline in primary/elementary/high school wrestling programs or university/college programs. That is, hopefully the popularity of the sport won't be too harmed by the exclusion from the Olympics.

2) Perhaps this will help move more wrestling talent into MMA sooner since the Olympics may no longer be a viable option to delay wrestlers' entry into MMA.

3) Possibly wrestling will be back in the Olympic Games eventually.

Overall, upon hearing the news:
mrsmiley
2/12/13 2:00:18PM
May the wrath of Milo of Croton descend upon them quickly.

Terrible news and what a stupid decision.
telnights
2/12/13 2:44:29PM
The Olympics are becoming a joke. It has become so corrupted that it would be better to fire everyone and start from scratch.
infestructure
2/12/13 2:44:39PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by postman

Cricket?!?!?!?!? NOBODY understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is, to understand cricket

No comment...
george112
2/12/13 3:15:14PM
FAIL slathered with Weak sauce
hotrodttt
2/12/13 3:51:08PM
This pisses me off, pretty soon they'll have break dancing in the Olympics and take weight lifting out.
LightsOUT23
2/12/13 4:37:31PM
Thank God. There is enough Homosexual sports at the Olympics as it is ...

Men in tight Lycra trying to urinate like a Dog, Wheel barrowing, Burying heads up their opponents ass, Swinging by the Ankles and Pretending to fly like Superman !!!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2 Photo Attachment 3 Photo Attachment 4 Photo Attachment 5
prophecy033
2/12/13 4:57:53PM

Posted by LightsOUT23

Thank God. There is enough Homosexual sports at the Olympics as it is ...

Men in tight Lycra trying to urinate like a Dog, Wheel barrowing, Burying heads up their opponents ass, Swinging by the Ankles and Pretending to fly like Superman !!!

can't tell if you're being serious. Wrestling is more deserving than speedwalking or badminton
Now that I think about it you can't be serious...I mean you like MMA right?
Bustamante-Aoki
2/12/13 5:33:48PM
I guess they figured since MMA is turning into wrestling why not just let them do it there. Kidding

But Seriously, this is shocking news. Hopefully they come to their senses.
Bubbles
2/12/13 5:37:56PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Bubbles

but badminton stays?

Let's point the finger towards something other than badminton, okay? It's clear that synchronized swimming should be first to go. This former badminton club president would not like to see badminton go

syncro water dancing and ribbon dancing also need to go.
Bubbles
2/12/13 5:39:18PM

Posted by Mr_Dead_Sexy

But curling stays? Seems legit.

wrong season
LightsOUT23
2/12/13 5:46:44PM
Lets just hope that the UFC puts on a load of events around the time of the 2020 games to stop the depression. Diving, sailing and long jump needs to go too. Mr dean, I was trying to she'd a little light hearted humour. Wrestling is a great sport and essential to mma. It seems wrestling is only one of many games dethroned from the Olympics due to health and safety of its raw persona. All the tough physical sports are being replaced with soppy family shit !!!
Pages: [1] 2