Intriguing riddle for all of you intellectuals...

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Intriguing riddle for all of you intellectuals...
waylon_o
3/8/07 10:54:28PM
3 guys walk into a hotel. They want 1 room. The room costs $30. Obviously, they each pay $10 and split the room. They go to there room and get settled in. The clerk suddenly realizes that she overcharged them, and the room is actually only $25. She has to give them $5 back, but she can't figure out how to split $5 between 3 people. She finally ends up giving each person $1 back and keeping the other $2. Now that each person has $1 back, they've only paid $9 apiece. Where is the missing $1??? (think about this before you reply)
jdubs
3/9/07 12:40:17AM

Posted by waylon_o

3 guys walk into a hotel. They want 1 room. The room costs $30. Obviously, they each pay $10 and split the room. They go to there room and get settled in. The clerk suddenly realizes that she overcharged them, and the room is actually only $25. She has to give them $5 back, but she can't figure out how to split $5 between 3 people. She finally ends up giving each person $1 back and keeping the other $2. Now that each person has $1 back, they've only paid $9 apiece. Where is the missing $1??? (think about this before you reply)

is ther a missing dollar?, 9x3 is 27, she kept 2.... hmm, maybe the dollar is earnest money.... wtf, now i wont be able to sleep...
the real question up for debate is what were these 3 guys staying in the same room for, hopefully that dollar was the fee for one of those hotel fold up beds.
deadcore
3/9/07 12:47:11AM
The facts in this riddle are clear: There is an initial $30 charge. It should have been $25, so $5 must be returned and accounted for. $3 is given to the 3 friends, $2 is kept by the bellhop - there you have the $5. The trick to this riddle is that the addition and subtraction are done at the wrong times to misdirect your thinking - and quite successfully for most. Each of the 3 friends did indeed pay $9, not $10, and as far as the friends are concerned, they paid $27 for the night. But we know that the clerk will tell us that they were charged only $25 and when you add the $3 returned with the $2 kept by the bellhop, you come up with $30.
Broknmunky
3/9/07 3:56:15AM

Posted by deadcore

The facts in this riddle are clear: There is an initial $30 charge. It should have been $25, so $5 must be returned and accounted for. $3 is given to the 3 friends, $2 is kept by the bellhop - there you have the $5. The trick to this riddle is that the addition and subtraction are done at the wrong times to misdirect your thinking - and quite successfully for most. Each of the 3 friends did indeed pay $9, not $10, and as far as the friends are concerned, they paid $27 for the night. But we know that the clerk will tell us that they were charged only $25 and when you add the $3 returned with the $2 kept by the bellhop, you come up with $30.

I agree! My thoughts exactly!
ffforgottenx
3/9/07 9:45:18AM

Posted by deadcore

The trick to this riddle is that the addition and subtraction are done at the wrong times to misdirect your thinking - and quite successfully for most.

took the words out of my mouth bro
Ydoc
3/9/07 11:25:50PM
Glad I saved my time from reading the actual riddle and read deadcore's post first.
mkiv9secsupra
3/22/07 2:25:34AM
there is no missing dollar? they paid 27 all together and she kept 2 so that means they paid 25 and she kept two....wow took a whole 30 seconds, i mean 25...
Violentcuv
3/22/07 10:06:34AM
good riddle....

i was thinking hard
Pyrenus
3/23/07 3:42:03PM
Meh, you told it a little funny.

They each paid $9, so 3 x 9 = $27, the busboy has $2, so that's $29. Now where's the last dollar?

Apples and oranges, your adding what someone paid + what someone received and trying to justify the total. Either add up what everyone paid, or add up what everyone received.

Hotel received $25
Busboy received $2
Each man received 1 x 3 = $3
Total $30

Or:
Each man paid $9 x 3 = $27
Busboy has 2
Hotel has $25

Its all kosher. The first time I heard it I was stumped for a while though.
BloodandTears
3/26/07 12:41:46PM
Trick question, I will answer it with a question. How many fingers do you have? The answer is 11. Count backwards on your left hand, Ready? 10, 9,8,7,6, and then add the 5 from your right hand = 11. Which only proves that figures dont lie, but liars will figure. Thats how they do math in Washington!! In your riddle the math is done the same way. You are adding the $2 and subtracting the $3. Most people will change the structure of your question to answer it, (as others in this thread have done) which in that case you can justify it, but you didnt answer the posters question. You merley answered your own question.. What most people CANT do is answer the question how you asked it.
madmarck
3/27/07 9:19:47AM

Posted by waylon_o

Man1Negative -9
MAn2Negative -9
Man3Negative -9
Clerk+27

What missing $1? I saw it at first but now i cant find it.

Edit. Remeber guys he siad intellectuals. Maybe some of you shouldnt be here.
MethodMan
3/27/07 10:34:57AM
I will just get my coat ..............................
WUchi
3/27/07 2:41:26PM
is this from mindtrap, i love that shit