Interim Champ Carlos Condit?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Interim Champ Carlos Condit?
frizzzlecake
6/2/12 2:15:17AM
Someone help explain this to me.

Diaz vs. Condit for Interim Championship. Condit win's say's he won't fight anyone but GSP.. Doesn't that make the Diaz vs. Condit fight a number one contenders match? I mean the whole point of a Interim Championship is so the division doesn't get backlogged, but look at 170. Ellenberger IMO should have gotten a chance to fight Condit for that Interim strap, but instead since Condit is waiting he had to take another fight with Kampmann. Now Hendricks has to do another fight before he get's the chance at a strap? Hendricks beat Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck back to back that's very impressive, and only person to beat both Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck before Hendricks was the champ GSP.

Is it just me or are Ellenberger(snubbed already) and Hendricks getting snubbed?

What's the point of a Interim belt if it's not going to be defended? At least at heavyweight it was passed around and guys had to defend it.

I don't blame Condit for waiting, but I blame the UFC for creating the whole "Interim Belt" angle, but not following up on it.

jae_1833
6/2/12 2:29:14AM
As Champ I think it is your duty to defend your belt against all enemies foriegn and domestic. Training partners, "unworthy" opponents, and guys who scare the hell out of you. If the UFC was smart they would put that in the contracts. No more crap excuses.....your paid to fight!
Twenty20Dollars
6/2/12 2:40:20AM
Blame Diaz, he created a lot of this mess.

UFC had thrown so many things at Condit that they let him wait for GSP.

Hendricks wasn't getting a title shot before he beat Fitch.

Interesting that Condit almost lost Ellenberger and lost to Kampmann, I believe, would have to look up to be certain.

Maybe they should create another interim title.
frizzzlecake
6/2/12 2:44:07AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Blame Diaz, he created a lot of this mess.

UFC had thrown so many things at Condit that they let him wait for GSP.

Hendricks wasn't getting a title shot before he beat Fitch.

Interesting that Condit almost lost Ellenberger and lost to Kampmann, I believe, would have to look up to be certain.

Maybe they should create another interim title.

You're right, about both fights they were close and fun battles.

It's almost like Interimception.
Pookie
6/2/12 3:14:25AM

Posted by frizzzlecake

What's the point of a Interim belt if it's not going to be defended?

Bingo. I think they should strip the Interim title from Condit and just have him be the next guy that fights GSP.

Right now The WW division looks like a bottle neck.

GSP - Champion
^
Condit - Interim title, waiting for GSP
^
Hendricks - promised to be next in line afterwards
^
Kampmann - Fought and defeated almost everyone in the division
^
Fitch, Kos, Pierce, Ellenberger, Etc....

There's a giant cluster of talent near the top, all of whom are fresh faces for GSP(which WW has been waiting forever for), and they all are going to either be left stagnant or eliminate each other from contention due to the bottle neck.

Welterweight is being handled poorly.
KungFuMaster
6/2/12 3:57:45AM
Indeed. The welter weight division is being poorly managed. Condit should not have the right to wait for a specific opponent - simply because GSP's return date is not certain. The division can and will accommodate GSP when he is ready to come back but for the time being, the welter weight division needs to operate as if there is no GSP.....and THAT IMO is how you handle a division with an interim title.
Pookie
6/2/12 4:24:10AM
Another question can be raised; How long does Condit wait for GSP before he gets stripped of his Interim title? What if GSP gets re-injured, or recovers slower than currently expected? If you don't strip Condit, do you make an Interim title for the Interim title? And if thats the case, which 2 of those 3 do you match-up first?

It's a giant clusterfuck.
prozacnation1978
6/2/12 10:17:28AM
Your champ you defend.
Not wait 10 months for another guy.
I would have Carlos defend against kammpman
Then face gsp in Dec

Have hendricks face Rory mcdonald
DancingDoll
6/2/12 10:37:07AM
I don't get the point of "waiting" for GSP, and I'm annoyed that the UFC is letting him do this... to basically take a year off, waiting, just because he was promised a title shot and had to have fights re-arranged a few times. Oh well. Shit happens. He needs to take a lesson from guys like Pettis and just roll with it... take another fight. If you're worthy of being champion, then you should be able to defeat the rest of the competition, retain the interim title and then silence critics when GSP is able to fight again. We know that won't happen, but that's what Condit should be thinking. Drink the kool-aid, be confident, take another fight. Stop running away and playing it safe (literally and figuratively).

The interim belt is pretty pointless otherwise, and the line-up behind Condit is getting longer and longer.
spang714
6/2/12 11:06:52AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Your champ you defend.
Then face gsp in Dec

I agree with this....interim or not...if you are the champ....you fight the next contender...not sit and wait to unify the belt..imho
Bubbles
6/2/12 11:28:49AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Your champ you defend.
Then face gsp in Dec

I think Hendricks vs Condit and Rory vs Kampmann makes more sense. Hendricks just beat 2 top 5 opponents (imo he lost to Koscheck but w/e) while Kampmann is knocking off #6-15 opponents.
Franklinfan47
6/2/12 1:07:32PM

Posted by Pookie

Another question can be raised; How long does Condit wait for GSP before he gets stripped of his Interim title? What if GSP gets re-injured, or recovers slower than currently expected? If you don't strip Condit, do you make an Interim title for the Interim title? And if thats the case, which 2 of those 3 do you match-up first?

It's a giant clusterfuck.

I think the term "clusterfuck" sums up the division quite nicely right now.
frizzzlecake
6/2/12 1:30:56PM
I think Dana hit the nail on the head, when he said UFC may possibly have more belts for divisions. WW and LW need it.
sbulldavid
6/2/12 9:37:51PM
Hardcore Welterweight Championship Belt, that's what we need.
aussiemma
6/3/12 12:40:14AM

Posted by frizzzlecake

I think Dana hit the nail on the head, when he said UFC may possibly have more belts for divisions. WW and LW need it.

agree, there is too much competition in each weight class now or they could make more weight divisions between 155-185 possibly ?
Bubbles
6/3/12 10:33:17AM

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by frizzzlecake

agree, there is too much competition in each weight class now or they could make more weight divisions between 155-185 possibly ?

i strongly disagree. I don't want this like boxing where there is a belt for every 5 pounds. A lot of people already complain about rematches happening too soon for the title and fighters not earning their shots...introducing these new divisions will do exactly that