Intelligently Defending 11.01.07: Don't Believe the Gripe! -- UFC 78 is a Good Card

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Intelligently Defending 11.01.07: Don't Believe the Gripe! -- UFC 78 is a Good Card
POLL: Will you be buying the UFC 78 PPV?
Wouldn't miss it for the world! 28% (19)
Yes, I buy every event. 32% (22)
I might watch it at the bar for free. 25% (17)
Haven't decided yet. 9% (6)
Not a chance in hell! 7% (5)
grappler0000
11/1/07 11:44:58PM
The UFC has received tremendous backlash over their upcoming card 'UFC 78: Validation.' In this week's edition of Intelligently Defending we will take a look at why this card is not as bad as people are saying -- and is actually quite good.

Link
MALICE
11/2/07 12:05:31AM
No doubt, I will buy it. But it is always disappointing when there is no title defense. I understand Sherk's roid issues, that's why he cant fight. I understand Hughes and Serra is Scheduled. I understand Silva just fought. I understand Randy is leaving. But Rampage without a true #1 contender. Has that stopped them before. I'm sure if they tried hard enough, they could have found someone worthy enough to fight for the title.
EvilScott
11/2/07 12:49:56AM
Its always the fights nobody expects that turn out to be the ones that go down as some of the most entertaining.

Some of the more "Stacked" cards have been flops ("Knockout" and "Stacked", for instance) and we've seen some of the "lesser" cards and UFNs be absolutely stellar.

I think its a good card, but I always try to watch at bars or at a friend's place (and pitch in a few bucks), its just the smarter thing to do money-wise.
kopower
11/2/07 1:03:29AM
Yeah there aren't any huge superstars or title fights on the card, but it is a strong card imo. This card has huge potential and there are many fighters here that are border line stars right now. At first I wasn't happy about the card but after looking at it again its solid. The Bisping Evans match does nothing for me but it could turn out to be a war. As well as Fisher vs. Edgar. Lot of candidates for fight of the night hopefully. Most of them will not be boring, imo
ricoj3323
11/2/07 1:28:22AM
finally someone who agrees with me, I think UFC 78 is very underrated and its gonna be one of the best cards of the year, I can't wait. all the haters can keep hating I don't care because they are missing out on this great card. Order UFC 78!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jae_1833
11/2/07 1:42:43AM
I think everyone who is "Hating" is just upset at the main event. It seems like an undercard fight to me too, not a bad one mind you. All the fights seem well matched, I love watchin a lot of these guys. I bet nobody would be talking smack if it were a UFN instead!!!
ufcboss
11/2/07 2:55:27AM
I said as soon as Bisping V Evan's was announced, This shoud be a pretty good show, I hope to see some KO's in the octagon for a change too.

Most excited about getting to see Houston work, hopefully he wins and face's the winner of Chuck V Silva. Winner of that would get a crack at Forrest, The new champ.
How's that for wishfull thinking!
jomatty
11/2/07 7:05:30AM
i dont have much interest in the main event but im excited to see terrel back, excited about the fisher/edgar match, and also very much looking forward to the karo/chonan fight. this should also be a good test for alexander. aside from the main event im looking forward to all of the fights.
silverbullet
11/2/07 7:17:20AM
It sounds like a pretty good card
xAcidburNx
11/2/07 7:36:25AM
anyone who considers this card a flop just doesnt appreciate mma and always looks for the guys that are pumped up like crazy by the ufc promoters.
IMO almost every fight on this card could be an UFN headliner. we just get em all in one night. just funny how the lamest fight is the headliner when we know the houston/silva king/edgar heat/chonan terrell/herman gono/mccrory fights are all probably gonna be candidates for FotN. I for one would not miss this one for the world. Plus id like to see Lauzon after a BJ Penn Training camp. iron mike probably a good sparring partner
HighKick07
11/2/07 8:11:02AM
i agree totally im going to the fight and im proud to say that.honestly bisping and rashad should be good cuz rashad will push the action.im excited. ppl dont know good cards.but tito and shamrock is a good fight right??bullshit, ufc pushes them and everyone thinks they are good fights.ive been saying 78 best underrated card of the year!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
ohiostate1016
11/2/07 10:00:02AM
I have fallen in love with the lightweight division-they have the best fights. And there are 3 interesting LW fights on this card: Luke Caudillo vs. Marcus Aurelio, Jason Reinhardt vs. Joe Lauzon, and Frank Edgar vs. Spencer Fisher. Plus we get Houston Alexander again, Terrell/Herman, and a decent main event. I'll admit, the main even isn't the greatest, but this card has a lot of depth.
FantasyFighter
11/2/07 10:29:36AM
Im pumped to see D. Terrell comin back. I just hope he comes back in shape and ready to go to war. Ed herman is a tough comeback fight, he is very hungry. And frankie edgar/spencer fisher... are you kidding me?! Two fighters who always bring it like they do... And then Karo vs. a very game Ryo Chonan.

As far as Im concerned thats as good as it gets! I cant wait!!!
AchillesHeel
11/2/07 10:36:52AM
I'm completely on board. I think casual fans who don't know the names on the card might think that "star power" equates to good fights. From a business perspective, the UFC needs to keep the casual fans in mind and, for the most part, they have. But anyone who skips this event because they think it's a weak card simply isn't a very good fan of the sport.
k_lup07
11/2/07 10:55:35AM
does anyone actually thinks its a bad card? everyone seems to think its good, including myself

stoked on alexander, hes definitely going to be a big name soon.

low-blow
11/2/07 11:58:01AM
I am really exited to see Karo and ryo fight I have a fealing were gonna see a amped Karo it will be a good fight, if this card had BJ and sherk alot of people would think it was one of the better cards of the year. My crystal ball is not foreseeing any decisions so this should be a good card, and we will all see how bisping fights on his back.
mikevolz
11/2/07 12:04:42PM
im going to it, and i think it has one of the most solid cards of the year. fisher vs edgar, alexander vs silva, parisyan vs chonan, i think all the fights are great except for the main event which is going to be a snoozer.
babytater03
11/2/07 12:48:39PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

...But Rampage without a true #1 contender. Has that stopped them before. I'm sure if they tried hard enough, they could have found someone worthy enough to fight for the title.

i TOTALLY agree. They could have put a number of guys against him and not had many people with a bone to pick. A last minute pinch for a main event would have been great to go to Rampage, thats the benefit of not having a FOR SURE #1 contender.
tuvok500
11/2/07 1:27:09PM
Just to see the ******* face of Bisping being destroy live in front of million of peoples will make my day !!

even if all the others fights are cancelled !!!

******* bisping $@%%^U&*&&$%@#%@^

CornishMMA
11/2/07 1:55:59PM

Posted by babytater03

Posted by xxMALICExx

...But Rampage without a true #1 contender. Has that stopped them before. I'm sure if they tried hard enough, they could have found someone worthy enough to fight for the title.

i TOTALLY agree. They could have put a number of guys against him and not had many people with a bone to pick. A last minute pinch for a main event would have been great to go to Rampage, thats the benefit of not having a FOR SURE #1 contender.

LOL you guys are missing a rather crucial piece of information - that being Rampage's broken hand that is preventing him from fighting until early 2008

Not sure why anybody would think the main event is going to be a snoozer? yes its obvious its the weakest main event ever but the reasons for that are obvious if you pull your head out of your ass, but its no snoozer cos Rashad will blow right through Bisping, either a nice KO or quality GnP stoppage
billieskeet
11/2/07 2:53:11PM
he also has an injured that has he has been fighting with for the last 2 fights he needs to heal, so that in turn takes him out of the picture, so no title fights, not ufc's fault
xAcidburNx
11/2/07 4:25:02PM

Posted by k_lup07

does anyone actually thinks its a bad card? everyone seems to think its good, including myself

stoked on alexander, hes definitely going to be a big name soon.

honesly a ton of people thought it was a pussy card because all they saw was rashad vs bisping for a headliner. then after they bitched nonstop on the forums, all the actual fans who knew what they were talking about saw it,stepped up and told those mofos what real mma is all about.

as to the main event. i really couldnt give a crap about it. the only thing that gets me going is i get to see one of these guys finnally lose that preciouse unblemmeshed record be stripped away. funny thing is both these guys were lucky as hell they didnt have that happen in each of their last fights. tito with the fence and bisping with, well do i really need to get in to that.. then poor hamill gets stripped of his rematch because ufc didnt wanna wait a month & a 1/2. If it was bisping hamill they would have found a better main event to take place IMO.
jae_1833
11/2/07 7:20:00PM
Most people on this sight (no matter how opinionated) seem to be rather well informed. Chonan v Karo, Edgar v Spencer and Herman v Terrel are nice match ups.
KYGUY07
11/5/07 9:16:22AM
i think this card has the best possible matchups of the year