Instant Replay Used For First Time In MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Instant Replay Used For First Time In MMA
DCRage
12/5/08 7:07:29AM
Instant replay has become an institution for most major sporting events all over the world, and last year the sport of mixed martial arts stepped into that arena when the New Jersey Athletic Control Board instituted the policy, and now it has been instituted in practice as well.

Article
EvenFlow
12/5/08 7:17:08AM
Well its about time, it made zero sense not to use it and im still surprised it took this long, Exibit A .... the burns/johnson fight, a clear case of NC or imo DQ...oh no not to the ppl that decide when its credible....wait what?
theguido
12/5/08 9:19:02AM
This is a great Idea I just hope the person or people in charge of reviewing these calls will have the same guide lines because some Refs have a different idea of what the back of the head is and if certain illegal kicks or punches are intentional or not. So in that respect I hope there is no Gray area like there seems to be some times now.
tmas
12/5/08 9:42:30AM
i dont see this making much differnce it may clear up some fights but it will cause controversy in others. Overall its gonna be bout the same.
prozacnation1978
12/5/08 10:23:54AM
good idea to start having
wiggum
12/5/08 12:30:05PM
i think its a great idea if used properly......like, a corner can't stop a fight in the middle of it cuz of something, like its football....but if there is a controversy like the above mentioned burns/johnson or akiyama/misaki fight, then before a ref makes the decision it should be reviewed.....other than that, let em fight
aaa9erh8er
12/5/08 12:55:27PM
hmmm im not sure about this fights can be over in a split second. i really dont no well have to wait and see.
xAcidburNx
12/5/08 5:22:41PM
good to hear. this brings a lot more credability to the sport
GrandMaster313
12/5/08 6:35:43PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Well its about time, it made zero sense not to use it and im still surprised it took this long, Exibit A .... the burns/johnson fight, a clear case of NC or imo DQ...oh no not to the ppl that decide when its credible....wait what?

what about the Maynard/Emerson and the Double KO. Replay would have concluded that maynard was unconscious when Emerson taped out. If you ask me Maynard should have lost !
MALICE
12/5/08 10:27:07PM

Posted by GrandMaster313

Posted by EvenFlow

what about the Maynard/Emerson and the Double KO. Replay would have concluded that maynard was unconscious when Emerson taped out. If you ask me Maynard should have lost !

So you think Emerson by (T)KO should have been the call?
The-Don
12/6/08 8:00:07PM
hmm I am not sure how I feel about this.. If a fighter has an advantage and the ref stops it but then it is decided the ref is wrong.. what happens? is it a NC? do the fighters resume the fight? but that would be unfair as the fighter who was in trouble has now had a chance to recover. but in some fights like the first Sonnen/Fhilo fight iot would be obvious Sonnen was saying no to the tap... but even so what happens? do they restart the fight? Do they rule it a NC? I ask you.. What? I do like the concept. but how exactly will it be executed?
JimiMak
12/7/08 12:21:30PM
This is the absolute stupidest idea I've ever heard. Ever wonder why it isn't in Baseball? Basketball? It doesn't work in most situations. It would cause more controversy than it would solve.

BTW, if Emerson tapped to an unconscious opponent that's his problem. He tapped. Fight over. Gray should have won, no question.

Referees are human. There will be error. It doesn't matter, fights are too fast and can end too quickly and have too much going on all at one time, plus you can't call time out like in football. Absolutely idiotic, not surprised it came up due to the NJSAC.
bls1919
12/7/08 12:35:22PM
Maybe use in very limited amounts. No stopping the action to look to see if it was a strike to the back of the head or a groin kick was really in the groin. Instances like the Burns/johnson fight. thats about the extent of what i would like to see anyways.