Insidious

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Insidious
pmoney
7/17/11 11:24:05AM
Just saw Insidious a couple nights ago. I'll try not to give anything away. But I will say, it was not scary in any way, shape, or form. It was a weird movie..... Not even necessarily like a Mulholland Dr. kind of way, but.... just weird.

I would not say it's one worth purchasing by any means, as weird does not constitute good..... But I guess I would say it's just weird enough to warrant a look. I like weird. Weird weird weird. I'm weird..... Now the word is losing meaning... weird...

PS - Speaking of weird, Mulholland Dr. had Naomi Watts in it, who was the lead role in The Ring. Weird times two!
DeadHead988
7/17/11 12:11:35PM
That movie was ******* terrible... just my two cents. I'd recommend the movie "Hobo with a Shotgun". Can't go wrong with a title like that.
Twenty20Dollars
7/17/11 12:15:52PM
I'm sure it can't be any worse than Splice or Paranormal Craptivity 1 or 2.

It's on my watch list though.
cowcatcher
7/17/11 12:25:32PM
I saw Rubber last night. It's about a tire that rolls around killing people. That's all I have to say about that.
Chael_Sonnen
7/17/11 12:35:48PM
pmoney
7/17/11 1:37:50PM
"Hobo with a shotgun" and "Rubber"..... very interesting stuff.....

I have a lot of horror junkie friends who pretty much force me to watch the worst **** they can find on Netflix........
warglory
7/17/11 1:43:20PM

Posted by pmoney

Just saw Insidious a couple nights ago. I'll try not to give anything away. But I will say, it was not scary in any way, shape, or form. It was a weird movie..... Not even necessarily like a Mulholland Dr. kind of way, but.... just weird.

I would not say it's one worth purchasing by any means, as weird does not constitute good..... But I guess I would say it's just weird enough to warrant a look. I like weird. Weird weird weird. I'm weird..... Now the word is losing meaning... weird...

PS - Speaking of weird, Mulholland Dr. had Naomi Watts in it, who was the lead role in The Ring. Weird times two!

Darth Maul is in this movie? Weird.
kopower
7/17/11 2:10:00PM

Posted by pmoney

"Hobo with a shotgun" and "Rubber"..... very interesting stuff.....

I have a lot of horror junkie friends who pretty much force me to watch the worst **** they can find on Netflix........

I'm all about b movies, but I didn't like Hobo with a Shotgun. It had some nice kills and special effects, but even for a b movie it wasn't that good imo. The previews for Rubber looked ridiculous.

I still think you can't go wrong with Thankskilling. Gobble gobble motherf**er!!
cowcatcher
7/17/11 2:39:11PM
I will say one more thing about Rubber. In the first 10 minutes of the movie they try to justify the stupidity of it all, that just kind of pissed me off and I didn't enjoy it's awfulness as much as I normally would have.
UFC_Fanatic
7/17/11 5:16:56PM

Posted by cowcatcher

I will say one more thing about Rubber. In the first 10 minutes of the movie they try to justify the stupidity of it all, that just kind of pissed me off and I didn't enjoy it's awfulness as much as I normally would have.

One of my friends and I have discussed horror movies, whether their a-movies, or b-movies, and compared the old school horror movies to the newer horror movies and stuff, and what their philosophies may have been toward scaring people then compared to now and all kinds of in-depth stuff like that. We have come to the conclusion that today's horror movies, in a general sense, aren't really that scary. Take for example, the original Amittyville Horror versus the recent remake. The remake was complete crap and wasn't terrifying in the least in our opinion, whereas the old one, for its time and with the limited special effects technology they had then versus now, was pretty good and had some real nail-biting moments in it, and was genuinely scary.

The reason for this that we have reached, is exactly what you mentioned as being the problem of Rubber, in the old one they never justified exactly why the house was evil or what was behind the crap going on in the house. All you knew was that it was a creepy f**king house that tried to drive out/end all people that were foolish enough to not give heed to a house that actually warned them beforehand to get the hell out as soon as they got there. The new one tried to justify it by saying it was possessed by evil spirits or something stupid like that. There's no moment of terror for the viewer if you know why the scary sh*t is happening.

Also, new horror movies are basically just slashers where they are just hoping that if they throw enough blood at you, sooner or later, you'll be scared, and it doesn't work.

imo, if you want genuinely terrifying newer horror movies, watch Japanese horror movies, because western horror is terrible. The best examples of relatively recent horror movies that were really good, and genuinely terrifying, the Ring, and the Grudge. Most of the people I have talked to agree that they were terrified by those movies, which are americanized versions of the original Japanese movies. The Japanese have a different philosophy than we do on how to make a movie terrifying. Like I mentioned above, the American philosophy is all about showing you these grotesque images/scenes in hopes that it terrifies you. The Japanese on the other hand, have a more psychological approach to horror. They like to f**ck with your head. They don't use blood or anything like that as a crutch. Their horror is dark and twisted, and all kinds of demented.

Anyway, that's my two cents on horror and what not. I wasn't going to post anything until I saw your comment about the movie trying to justify itself, then it reminded me of all the discussions my friend and I have had, so I felt I may as well express my opinion on the matter.
mkiv9secsupra
7/17/11 6:12:52PM
HORRIBLE......

I will say the first half of the movie had me interested up until the scene above when you first see the demon.....after that it is pure crap on top of crap on top of more crap in a completely ridiculous story line. Do not pay for this movie
pmoney
7/17/11 10:04:15PM

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by cowcatcher

One of my friends and I have discussed horror movies, whether their a-movies, or b-movies, and compared the old school horror movies to the newer horror movies and stuff, and what their philosophies may have been toward scaring people then compared to now and all kinds of in-depth stuff like that. We have come to the conclusion that today's horror movies, in a general sense, aren't really that scary. Take for example, the original Amittyville Horror versus the recent remake. The remake was complete crap and wasn't terrifying in the least in our opinion, whereas the old one, for its time and with the limited special effects technology they had then versus now, was pretty good and had some real nail-biting moments in it, and was genuinely scary.

The reason for this that we have reached, is exactly what you mentioned as being the problem of Rubber, in the old one they never justified exactly why the house was evil or what was behind the crap going on in the house. All you knew was that it was a creepy f**king house that tried to drive out/end all people that were foolish enough to not give heed to a house that actually warned them beforehand to get the hell out as soon as they got there. The new one tried to justify it by saying it was possessed by evil spirits or something stupid like that. There's no moment of terror for the viewer if you know why the scary sh*t is happening.

Also, new horror movies are basically just slashers where they are just hoping that if they throw enough blood at you, sooner or later, you'll be scared, and it doesn't work.

imo, if you want genuinely terrifying newer horror movies, watch Japanese horror movies, because western horror is terrible. The best examples of relatively recent horror movies that were really good, and genuinely terrifying, the Ring, and the Grudge. Most of the people I have talked to agree that they were terrified by those movies, which are americanized versions of the original Japanese movies. The Japanese have a different philosophy than we do on how to make a movie terrifying. Like I mentioned above, the American philosophy is all about showing you these grotesque images/scenes in hopes that it terrifies you. The Japanese on the other hand, have a more psychological approach to horror. They like to f**ck with your head. They don't use blood or anything like that as a crutch. Their horror is dark and twisted, and all kinds of demented.

Anyway, that's my two cents on horror and what not. I wasn't going to post anything until I saw your comment about the movie trying to justify itself, then it reminded me of all the discussions my friend and I have had, so I felt I may as well express my opinion on the matter.

I remember seeing Ringu, the original Japanese movie The Ring was based on. I did not find it, nor The Ring scary. Interesting movies, kind of weird, but not scary. And again, I like dark and twisted. I like weird. If pmoney weren't available, my handle would've been Pugsly.

I guess I am with you in the sense none of the horror movies these days are scary. You have your Hostel's that just try to out do each other. But there are very few creative, scary movies these days. Man, there are very few creative movies period these days....
kingsmasher
7/17/11 11:31:27PM
I just watched Kill the Irishman and it was really good based on a true story...***** mob movie
cowcatcher
7/18/11 11:01:14AM

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by cowcatcher

I think you raise a lot of good points. I think one thing you missed about older horror being scarier is that when the first horror films were coming out in the twenties and thirties, the people watching them got a scare because it was a new medium. Not everyone was educated and quite a few people believed what they were watching actually happened, or at least could happen. As time went on, make up and special effects improved giving even more realism to what was on the screen, and writers and directors began to push the envelope farther. Where you would only see a shadow looming behind some poor lady before the camera cut away and a scream rang out, they started showing the villain or monster actually attacking their victims. My point is, as the envelope got pushed new and scarier things happened on screen, but at some point there just isn't much more to do except raise the gore levels and that leads to unintentional hokey-ness and a stale genre. That's the beauty of the b-movie, they know that they can't fool people into believing this stuff, so you get a lot of corny, but funny movies.

A movie isn't going to scare me, but I do enjoy when they make me uncomfortable. The vengeance trilogy, audition, etc, are more entertaining to me if I'm looking to be uncomfortable than the usual horror movie at this point. I think we are thinking along the same lines when it comes to Asian cinema. They like a good mind hump, and it translates well to westerners.
kopower
7/18/11 2:43:56PM
So are you saying cowcatcher, that a possessed tire couldn't kill you? Or that a ghost was calling your phone and killing you 7 days later? Pretty believable to me
cowcatcher
7/18/11 3:12:28PM

Posted by kopower

So are you saying cowcatcher, that a possessed tire couldn't kill you? Or that a ghost was calling your phone and killing you 7 days later? Pretty believable to me

I was just trying to act tough on the forums but now you busted me out...those are, in fact, two of my worst fears.