Injury forces Frank Mir out of UFC 98

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Injury forces Frank Mir out of UFC 98
Mr_Dead_Sexy
3/6/09 4:35:47PM
A planned rematch between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir for UFC 98 on May 23 that would have unified Lesnar’s UFC heavyweight title and Mir’s interim UFC heavyweight has been canceled.

Multiple sources have confirmed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that the UFC was recently informed by Mir’s camp that he has been unable to train recently due to a back injury that could require surgery.

There is no word as to whether Lesnar will remain on the card against a new opponent or if he will be taken off the card entirely.

Link
Boo_Radley21
3/6/09 4:37:21PM
You gotta be kidding me. Give Randy a rematch!
loller90278
3/6/09 4:38:59PM
me thinks valesquez or dos santos
bls1919
3/6/09 4:41:41PM
this bites the big one hard. I was really looking forward to the fight. i would wager to say that the winner of Gonzaga/Carwin is next in line for Brock. Maybe kongo?!?!?!?!?!
Mr_Dead_Sexy
3/6/09 4:43:46PM

Posted by bls1919

this bites the big one hard. I was really looking forward to the fight. i would wager to say that the winner of Gonzaga/Carwin is next in line for Brock. Maybe kongo?!?!?!?!?!

You know it's a sad, sad day when the idea of Kongo fighting for the HW title is being thrown out there..
mentalcase
3/6/09 4:44:34PM
haggiswashere
3/6/09 4:52:23PM
grappler0000
3/6/09 4:52:43PM
Well, that sucks!
GSPCanada
3/6/09 5:00:47PM
I dont know if there is someone out there for brock who has been training, id say couture but I doubt he has been really really triaining like he should at this point and same goes for nog, whether u like the idea of hardonk / kongo or not we all know styles make fights, so if gonzaga or carwin can make quick work out of each other they could be the replacement same for kongo or hardonk especially because they r strikers.

Either way they need to figure something out because they wont get huge ppv sales with serra hughes headlining
cmb19932
3/6/09 5:05:12PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
gabe531
3/6/09 5:12:51PM
COUGH COUGH FEDOR!! COUGH COUGH
ChokeUout
3/6/09 5:17:58PM
Well, This is a tricky one...I'm gonna assume that Brock won't remain on the card, because any other match-up for him now makes no sense...

Well, maybe Lesnar/Kongo...

I suppose if Rampage loses to Jardine they could put Rashad/Machida in there, But it'd probably be too soon to put Rampage in there.

Maybe get GSP and Alves to move up a bit on the schedule?

Perhaps get hughes/serra to headline and put on two killer additional match ups like Maia/Marquart and Jon Jones/Thiago Silva or somebody?

Anderson silva wants to fight as often as possible, and he's a definite headliner, but he's fighting at 97, so having him fight as 98 is probably out.

THe only fight for lesnar that would make me happy right now other than Mir is Fedor, and I doubt they could make that happen in 2 months, if ever.

Well, let's see how Dana and Joe silva work their way out of this one. They usually do, but this is a tricky one indeed.
Darnok
3/6/09 5:34:05PM
They will probably just reschedule this fight for UFC 100.
postman
3/6/09 5:34:21PM
It will not be Randy due to the Sly Stallone movie. Maybe the recent Dana say Nog had staph article is due to the UFC knowing Mir wasn't able to go and trying to posture for Nog to get in the mix unlikly but possiable. I could see Kongo getting a shot he has bult a little bit of steam ppl remember him since he is so ripped, so I could see them putting him in. If GG and Carwin isn't a war and ends quickly with the winner taking no abuse they might make that fight happen. Other then That Brock is off the card. Maybe we get another free show due to lack of Headliner.
wapttn
3/6/09 6:09:33PM
didnt frank say something about misinformation? This injury could be entirely valid, but I read an interview with Mir where he said that one of his favourite mind games was giving misinformation leading up to a fight. Considering the magnitude of this fight... maybe he gave a few direct sources info on him pulling out of the fight haha

just a thought..

Seriously tho, if Carwin or Gonzaga come out of this fight unscathed then that might be the best option... if its not enough time, push the title fight to ufc 100 and have it then
loller90278
3/6/09 6:58:25PM

Posted by wapttn

didnt frank say something about misinformation? This injury could be entirely valid, but I read an interview with Mir where he said that one of his favourite mind games was giving misinformation leading up to a fight. Considering the magnitude of this fight... maybe he gave a few direct sources info on him pulling out of the fight haha

just a thought..

Seriously tho, if Carwin or Gonzaga come out of this fight unscathed then that might be the best option... if its not enough time, push the title fight to ufc 100 and have it then

you might be right..

from www.mmaweekly.com

"If he were hurt and the fight was off, I'd assume I would know," White said."

gsquat
3/6/09 7:01:46PM
This suck ass-balls. I see either the winner of GG/Carwin, Velasquez, or Couture/Nog winner getting a shot. I say they just wait until Mir is healed to make things right. Nobody would REALLY deserve a title shot in less than two fights anyway.
RampageOwnedYou
3/6/09 7:07:34PM
I must say, I expected something happening for this fight to not happen.

Couldnt say I was that thrilled to be honest.

Rather see Fedor or even Nog fight Brock, seeing how that was the fight to decide this match.
CwB
3/6/09 7:15:53PM
This is the absolute worst news i have ever heard...

I turn 21 may 14th and for my birthday i was going to spend it attending 98 and then having an after party on the strip...

this would have been my first ever live event and the fact that the tickets go on sale tomorrow i dont know whether to buy them or not i hope more info comes out very soon...

WheelchairBandit
3/6/09 7:24:42PM
I'll believe it when the UFC announces it.Right now it's just rumors.

If it really is true,then they will use either the winner of Gonzaga/Carwin if they are un-injured,or someone like Junior dos Santos or possibly even Cain Velasquez.

They will want to keep Brock on that card.They want to have Brock fight as many times a year as possible because he is their #1 draw right now,and it's hard times at the moment.Without Brock,that card won't pull jack sh*t for PPV buys.

WB.
zmazing17
3/6/09 7:52:01PM
Give Randy a re-match, are you kidding me. He was destroyed in the last fight. Who in their right mind would want to see that again. Does really suck though, I was looking forward to watching Mir eat brock's fist for the entire fight. Just have to root that much harder for Matt Hughes to knock out Serra.
soundboy1
3/6/09 8:21:43PM

Posted by CwB

This is the absolute worst news i have ever heard...

I turn 21 may 14th and for my birthday i was going to spend it attending 98 and then having an after party on the strip...

this would have been my first ever live event and the fact that the tickets go on sale tomorrow i dont know whether to buy them or not i hope more info comes out very soon...

You should still do that! Screw the fight!
jakeiceman
3/6/09 8:27:27PM

Posted by zmazing17

Give Randy a re-match, are you kidding me. He was destroyed in the last fight. Who in their right mind would want to see that again. Does really suck though, I was looking forward to watching Mir eat brock's fist for the entire fight. Just have to root that much harder for Matt Hughes to knock out Serra.

Brock "destroyed" Randy? Funny keep dreaming. Awesome 2nd post though
emfleek
3/6/09 8:33:44PM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by zmazing17

My thoughts exactly. Apparently beat = destroyed.

BY THE WAY...Mir is not *OUT* w/a back injury. The fight is still on.
jakeiceman
3/6/09 10:23:56PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by zmazing17

My thoughts exactly. Apparently beat = destroyed.

BY THE WAY...Mir is not *OUT* w/a back injury. The fight is still on.

Ha ha yeah comments like that drive me nuts, you could say he "destroyed" Herring but he didnt even DOMINATE Couture and then to make the comment of "who would want to see that again" I would and cant wait till it happens!

By the way thanks for the Mir update, thanks fleek
chitownsfinest15
3/7/09 10:48:31AM
this works out perfect for the UFC now they can put the Lesnar/Mir fight on the UFC 100 card and load up that card for the biggest event ever...
Darnok
3/8/09 1:07:12AM

Posted by Darnok

They will probably just reschedule this fight for UFC 100.

Woo Hoo I called it. Actually it was more a fluke than anything but what the hey.