Another injury, another fighter pulls out. Bonnar out of fight with Hamill

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Another injury, another fighter pulls out. Bonnar out of fight with Hamill
Bemin
2/11/08 8:47:49PM
Bonnar sidelined with torn ligaments
By Kevin Iole

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 6:29 pm EST
UFC light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar will be sidelined for at least six months after tearing ligaments in his left knee during training on Tuesday in Las Vegas.

Bonnar said he was working on his jiu-jitsu in preparation for his April 2 light heavyweight bout against Matt Hamill in Denver. He said he heard a pop and later learned that he had torn the lateral collateral ligament.

"I was doing nothing out of the ordinary, just working on my (jiu-jitsu) getting ready for my fight," a downcast Bonnar said. "I heard a pop and I thought, 'Damn, what is this?' I walked around on it a little, but when I got home, it was really stiff and swollen."

Link

Man, this sure seems to be happening way more than usual of late. Guess its do to the fact these guys are training so much harder these days than say 5 or 10 years ago.
Kpro
2/11/08 8:54:02PM
That's unfortunate, I was really looking forward to this fight.
tuvok500
2/11/08 8:58:47PM
Sad news man

Well, i hope they will find a replacement to fight Hamill, normally the pick should be easier !!

mrsmiley
2/11/08 9:03:09PM
Damn.

I was looking foward to seeing Hamill put a whoopN on him.
ThaAxeMurderer7
2/11/08 9:29:43PM
I wonder who they will get to replace him. No one in particular comes to mind.
Kracker_Jap
2/11/08 9:47:32PM
Maybe ha was scared???? J/k
Kpro
2/11/08 9:53:41PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Eric Schafer, Luis Arthur Cane, Jason Lambert, James Lee are a few that could fill in.

Of course Lee and Lambert would be out of the picture if they have medical suspensions looming from their TKO losses in January.
bullettdodger
2/11/08 9:58:37PM
It sucks for us.. but it deffinitly sucks more for the fighters, Bonnar is out of a job for a year...Hamill has to fight someone he didn't train for... it just sucks all around... Bonnar seemed to me to be a fairly decent fight that we could use to measure Hamill a bit more, i also haven't seen Bonnar fight in sometime and was looking forward to see how his skills have progressed. we all lose :(
wolfman
2/11/08 10:09:59PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Eric Schafer, Luis Arthur Cane, Jason Lambert, James Lee are a few that could fill in.

Of course Lee and Lambert would be out of the picture if they have medical suspensions looming from their TKO losses in January.

Also, I wonder if Lee's back is better. He definitely messed up his back in that fight.
quezocrema0032
2/11/08 10:23:39PM
Call me a jerk but this isnt that bad yea i wanted 2 see the fight but there not gona put a bad fight this hopefully bumps up either the gray edgar fight or the irvin alexander fight
jae_1833
2/11/08 10:32:53PM
It's not bad (saying that) but it does make the Hamill fight a possibly not viewed fight.
whardin19
2/11/08 10:35:41PM
Darn it! I was looking forward to this fight also. I like Bonnar alot and I think he's got a bad rep since the suspension and was looking forward to seeing if he's back to where he was at before the suspension. I'm sure the Hamill fight gets put on undercard now. If it happens at all.
roger
2/11/08 10:53:45PM
that sucks a was exited for that fight a tall guy vs a shirt and stocky guy
prozacnation1978
2/11/08 10:54:00PM
sorry to hear that but they still have done's of good fights left to choice from
babytater03
2/12/08 7:46:48AM
i would REALLY love to see the Edgar v. Maynard fight bumped up. I think that's gonna be a battle of the ages. Both are brawlers and i'd love to see it.
Aaronno9
2/12/08 9:34:37AM
Lame. I hope the give hammil another tough opponent, i was looking forward to the fight so itl suck if he ends up just getting a can. Sucks for bonnar how long hes gona be out for to, i hope he has a quick recovery, i want to see him fight again.
twoguns365
2/12/08 11:03:41AM
I was looking forward to this fight as much as any on the card. Tough break for Hamill, but they've got time to secure a solid replacement.