Over Injuries and Personal Troubles, James Irvin Seeks First Win in Nearly Two Years

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Over Injuries and Personal Troubles, James Irvin Seeks First Win in Nearly Two Years
jae_1833
3/20/10 8:16:30PM
link
This guy is real honest, check this out:

Heavy.com: Are you looking to work your way towards a rematch with Anderson Silva before he retires?

James Irvin: Honestly, I don’t think I would ever deserve a rematch with him unless I won ten fights in a row by vicious knockout! He might even be retired by then. I don’t want a rematch with Anderson Silva to be honest.

James Irvin: Fighting Anderson Silva was such a privilege and I was surprised that so many people turned it down. I think I was like the fifth person they called as everyone else turned it down, so I took it on short notice, but that didn’t have anything to do with me losing. I knew I had a one in a million chance of beating that guy. I don’t think I would ever be lucky enough to beat someone of his caliber. But that is what I strive for. To reach that top ten someday.

Heavy.com: Do you think Alessio Sakara is an ideal matchup for you considering he’s a guy who loves to brawl and throw his hands quite a bit?

James Irvin: The UFC definitely gave me a favor with this fight. I’m not saying it is going to be easy, but they gave me the perfect matchup. He’s a brawler with some pro boxing experience and I feel really good fighting against guys who want to stand and trade. Out of all the potential fights I could have had, this is the best stylistic matchup for me and it is going to be a great fight between the two of us.
kopower
3/20/10 8:40:51PM
James looked like a totally different dude at the weigh ins. His face was so skinny, I barely recognized him. If this fight gets out of the first round, I think it's Sakara's all day. That's a big if though. Irvin looked ready to go.

James seems like a hubbled guy. I love to hear honesty like that. Respect level went up another notch for him.
BustedKnuckle
3/20/10 10:15:40PM
Irvin is a tough dude and deserves his so called shots in the UFC. He'll fight anyone anywhere. I think if he can land clean on Sakara early it will be a short fight.