Injured Bellator champ Zoila Gurgel asking for help with mounting medical bills

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Injured Bellator champ Zoila Gurgel asking for help with mounting medical bills
postman
10/25/11 12:16:55PM
Less than a week after suffering a torn ACL that scratched her upcoming fight with Carina Damm, Bellator's 115-pound women's champion is holding an online fundraiser to help pay for her medical treatment.

Link

Anyone else think this is a little crazy? How about you tell your husband to use his "World class" Jitz and win some fights. I mean of all the people who need my extra () cash why would I pick a fighter looking for surgery?
pmoney
10/25/11 2:31:00PM
For some reason I find myself feeling little to no sympathy for her. If you're going to be a professional athlete, the risk of inury is something you take on alone.

That's why I think collegiate athletes should all get their degrees. You never know when you'll be competing and you'll suffer an injury and it's all taken away. You have to have a back up plan, and in my book, depending on others isn't very solid.
postman
10/25/11 8:58:24PM

Posted by pmoney

For some reason I find myself feeling little to no sympathy for her. If you're going to be a professional athlete, the risk of inury is something you take on alone.

That's why I think collegiate athletes should all get their degrees. You never know when you'll be competing and you'll suffer an injury and it's all taken away. You have to have a back up plan, and in my book, depending on others isn't very solid.

Don't get me wrong I feel bad she is injured and has a long expensive road ahead but I'm not helping her pay her medical bills.
ThaAxeMurderer7
10/26/11 7:18:51PM
I can't tell you guys why, but there is more to this story than what is being said.
Kpro
10/27/11 3:00:21AM
If she pays her win bonus to Fujii from their fight so that the rightful person was paid the win bonus then I'll consider donating.
FlashyG
10/28/11 1:21:34AM
Obviously the Gurgels have found themselves in a tough spot but they are asking the wrong people for help.

Maybe they have some extreme circumstances that has them desperate but why not turn to Rebney, Bellator and MTV since they have a vested interest in getting her back into the cage.

When someone asked her why she didn't ask her employer for help before asking for a public handout she responded.

I don't believe they are responsible for taking care of my injury. Which is y I reached out to the public for help

On top of that, Doesn't Gurgel have an academy with locations all across the country, combined with the 100k that his wife made in prize money from Bellator, finding 5k shouldn't be that hard.

If it is, why not hold a BJJ seminar or sell some shirts, or if things are really bad, get a job like everyone else.

I find it insulting when someone that has earning power I could only dream of asks me for a handout.

emfleek
10/28/11 10:17:35AM

Posted by FlashyG

Obviously the Gurgels have found themselves in a tough spot but they are asking the wrong people for help.

Maybe they have some extreme circumstances that has them desperate but why not turn to Rebney, Bellator and MTV since they have a vested interest in getting her back into the cage.

When someone asked her why she didn't ask her employer for help before asking for a public handout she responded.

I don't believe they are responsible for taking care of my injury. Which is y I reached out to the public for help

On top of that, Doesn't Gurgel have an academy with locations all across the country, combined with the 100k that his wife made in prize money from Bellator, finding 5k shouldn't be that hard.

If it is, why not hold a BJJ seminar or sell some shirts, or if things are really bad, get a job like everyone else.

I find it insulting when someone that has earning power I could only dream of asks me for a handout.

*slow clap*

prophecy033
10/28/11 2:46:23PM
She doesn't think the company she works for should pay her medical bills but she's asking random people to help with her medical bills? Good luck with that