Info on Pride's LWGP????

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Info on Pride's LWGP????
pv3Hpv3p
2/28/07 1:50:27PM
Just wondering if anyone has any info...

I heard the opening round was going to be in April or May, and was just wondering if anyone had some solid info??

Hopefully a thread like this will get 'pinned' more sooner than later so it will be easier to check for new info (Help? Mods??)

Thanks guys
SteedTheDeed
2/28/07 6:56:35PM
gomi will probably get a first round bye and joachim hansen is gonna win it all.
Northrend
2/28/07 7:06:02PM

Posted by SteedTheDeed

gomi will probably get a first round bye and joachim hansen is gonna win it all.

Hmm it'll be hard for him to beat Sakurai honestly, but I wouldn't be suprised if Hansen got far in the GP since hes such a talented fighter.

I see Sakurai taking it. From brutal leg kicks to quick submissions/takedowns Hayato is a monster and I think the final fight would be him vs Gomi II or him vs Diaz..
hippysmacker
2/28/07 7:25:11PM
Diaz probably won't be in it, due to injury and his previous contract with EliteXC. If they were smart they wouls also leave Gomi out of it IMO. I think tournaments should be to decide a title shot, and Gomi already has 2 losses in non-title matches in the last year. Dealuing his belt furhter would be a bad idea to me. So many Fighter's from other orgs. particpate in this it's hard to call. Melendez, Mach, kawajiri, and Aoki would be the favorites IMO. I have to wait and see if they are in it and what brackets they put up before I would start picking real favorites though.
EEKS
3/1/07 7:08:32AM
i was hoping Diaz would be in it, but infortunatly he most likely wont be in it, but i think the man to beat in the tournament will be Sakurai.
Dadaman
3/1/07 7:56:34AM
This GP will set a precedent in terms of the sheer skill level of all the fighters participating. This is going to be an incredible year for the lightweights!

Don't be surprised if the first round of the LWGP exceeds Pride 33.

WAR MELENDEZ! WAR MACH!
pv3Hpv3p
3/1/07 12:40:07PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Diaz probably won't be in it, due to injury and his previous contract with EliteXC. If they were smart they wouls also leave Gomi out of it IMO. I think tournaments should be to decide a title shot, and Gomi already has 2 losses in non-title matches in the last year. Dealuing his belt furhter would be a bad idea to me. So many Fighter's from other orgs. particpate in this it's hard to call. Melendez, Mach, kawajiri, and Aoki would be the favorites IMO. I have to wait and see if they are in it and what brackets they put up before I would start picking real favorites though.

Good point all around...

I especially agree with the tournament winners should = #1 contender, and that Pride shouldn't allow the LW belt to lose any more luster by another 'non-title loss'
ElGuapo31
3/1/07 8:05:31PM
the only fair thing to do would be to vacate gomi's title and put it up for grabs inthe GP...i mean the guy has lost 2 out of 3 in his weight class...it would make the tourney that much more intense...imo sakurai and aoki have great shots to win...if gomi doesnt get focused
Stickan
3/1/07 8:47:29PM
Does anyone know how old Sakurai is?
I mean he's been around a while and to me it seems he's still improving. If he doesn't respect Gomi too much as in their first bout I think Sakurai could win it all.
Hansen and Melendez got good chances too but they're just so small compared to Sakurai.