Inconsistent

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Inconsistent
telnights
9/18/08 4:44:27PM
Is just me or has the judging in the past few UFC events seam very inconsistent. There has been a total of 3 SDs in the past 2 events. The way the fights have been scored also seams very Inconsistent. Its like one fight they will favor stand up and the next favor the ground game. The problem also doesn't seam limited to just judging. There also seams to a big amount of inconsistency with the refs as well. One ref will break the clinch in 30 seconds of stalemate but the other ref will let it go on for 2-3 mins. This also can be said for slow ground game. One ref will stand it up in a few seconds and the next will let it go the full 5 mins. I know this has been a problem for a while but it seams to be getting worse. I didn't really think about this till my wife (who doesnt know much about MMA) last night said it seams like different rules and judging in every fight.
aaa9erh8er
9/18/08 5:32:41PM
na agree the first ref rosenthal was garbage and the judging last night was joke almost as bad as goldys comentating.
mkiv9secsupra
9/18/08 6:09:37PM
I would like to see the judges create a rule of thumb between themselves such as a 45 second shot clock for the clinch or on the ground. The judges could give them 45 approx to advance position, attempt a submission, do significant damage, or get a takedown and if they dont stand it up.

But as with the judges there will always be a rogue judge every now and then. The only way i can see significantly upgrading the judging system without doing an entire overhall and losing fans in the process is to add two more judges to the lineup adn that one rogue judge is not going to bother the correct judgement on the fight.
JimiMak
9/18/08 6:44:26PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I would like to see the judges create a rule of thumb between themselves such as a 45 second shot clock for the clinch or on the ground. The judges could give them 45 approx to advance position, attempt a submission, do significant damage, or get a takedown and if they dont stand it up.

But as with the judges there will always be a rogue judge every now and then. The only way i can see significantly upgrading the judging system without doing an entire overhall and losing fans in the process is to add two more judges to the lineup adn that one rogue judge is not going to bother the correct judgement on the fight.

45secs isn't a long time to work on the ground. this would only favor strikers more.

a SD doens't mean that anything is wrong, it means three guys can watch the same fight and not see it the same way. Try getting a houseful of ppl and see how different the reactions to it are. SD's are usually indicitave of close fights.

and the problem I see w/ adding two judges is that always gives the loser even more to bitch about. If he loses a 3-2 split he can say most shows use 3 and if those two had judged he win. It really doesn't solve it. I don't think.

Maybe if all time limits went to draw we'd see more finishes.... ??? I know it's been discussed and isn't realistic.
haggiswashere
9/19/08 4:38:13AM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

45secs isn't a long time to work on the ground. this would only favor strikers more.

a SD doens't mean that anything is wrong, it means three guys can watch the same fight and not see it the same way. Try getting a houseful of ppl and see how different the reactions to it are. SD's are usually indicitave of close fights.

and the problem I see w/ adding two judges is that always gives the loser even more to bitch about. If he loses a 3-2 split he can say most shows use 3 and if those two had judged he win. It really doesn't solve it. I don't think.

Maybe if all time limits went to draw we'd see more finishes.... ??? I know it's been discussed and isn't realistic.

45 second is plenty. he just meant 45 seconds to work or improve your position. this would benifit everyone other than wrestlers who can't do anything but lay on people like a lot of fighters we have seen.
mkiv9secsupra
9/19/08 12:07:13PM

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

45 second is plenty. he just meant 45 seconds to work or improve your position. this would benifit everyone other than wrestlers who can't do anything but lay on people like a lot of fighters we have seen.

Yeah i mean 45 seconds to:
-advance or switch positions
-attempt a submission
-do signifant damage to your opponent
this works for the ground and clinch

If the fighter is doing any one of these then let them stay down or clinched.

the only fighters this is a disadvantage to is LnP fighters aka Jake Obrien
Rabi
9/19/08 12:55:56PM
I hate it when fighters are stood up, i think the refs shouldnot be allowed to standup fighters or break them apart because of the inconsistencies.

My way around it would be to have ( Non title fights 5 x 3 mins rounds and title fights 7 times 3 min rounds). this would also make the scoring better as 3 rds isnt enough for the 10 -9 system IMO. It would force more standups naturally and make the fight flow better IMO.
mkiv9secsupra
9/19/08 1:08:44PM

Posted by Rabi

( Non title fights 5 x 3 mins rounds and title fights 7 times 3 min rounds).

i absolutely love the 3 minute rounds setup. it keeps fighters fresher, which would promote more finishes and more active fights.

PS: im probly the only one on this site that agrees with you on this though.
Rabi
9/19/08 3:20:36PM
Cheers mate, i didnt think any one would think it was a good idea. lol