Imus

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Imus
POLL: Your thoughts on Imus
Hang Him 14% (3)
Give Him a Break 14% (3)
Big Deal Black rip on Whites alll the time 71% (15)
jdubs
4/11/07 6:23:46PM
I think he needs to let his balls drop and stop playing into the game of al sharpton, he apologized already.
Zvonimir
4/11/07 7:34:35PM
You forgot "Who gives a shit" as a poll choice. (and I'm black.)
zephead
4/11/07 8:24:23PM
Imus is a moron. I tried listening to him and lasted about 10 minutes. What people find funny with him is beyond me. He's a miserable old man
jdubs
4/11/07 8:29:27PM

Posted by Zvonimir

hmm. i take it you mean this was blown out of proportion?
Zvonimir
4/11/07 8:40:12PM
I think he deserved to be suspended and/or fired, but I am tired of hearing about it. He will get punished so why are people still talking about it and giving this guy more attention than he deserves? And yes it was blown out of proportion to an extent (not that I condone what was said.)
hcazlekker
4/11/07 9:23:47PM

Posted by jdubs

Posted by Zvonimir

hmm. i take it you mean this was blown out of proportion?

I think this was seriously blown out of proportion.

Imus has apologized. Now he should be ignored. I think the amount of attention the media has given Imus over his comments has only escalated racial tension.

Trapt1nw0nder
4/11/07 9:57:38PM
Waht is an Imus?
Svartorm
4/11/07 11:49:16PM
I think he should have been man enough to stick to his guns, rather than putting up with a dirtbag like Al Sharpton. Welcome to America, where you can say anything you want. If people don't like it, they don't have to listen to his show. If the station owners lose money because of it, they can fire him. I just don't like seeing grown men going around begging and apologizing in such situations.
Zvonimir
4/11/07 11:55:41PM
I just flipped past MSNBC and he got fired, so hopefully we don't have to hear about this douche anymore.
roadking95th
4/11/07 11:58:51PM
He has made these kinda of coments for years. He has just made the mistake of picking on the wrong group. Bill Maher is much more ignorant in his rants, but he is still on. Don't get me wrong, Bill should stay on, if that is what his employers want, but he is not getting flamed.
Trapt1nw0nder
4/12/07 2:26:59AM
I went with "give him a break"...and by that i mean an Anderson Silva knee to the face..
hippysmacker
4/12/07 4:37:08AM
While I don't like the grandstanding that goes on , even after the apology, I don't like
Imus. He's always seemed like an elitist to me. I listened to his show for about a month straight when I used to work construction a long time ago. My boss would always bring his radio and listen to him, and I didn't think he was even a tenth as clever as he thought himself to be. I was glad when I quit that job.
cowcatcher
4/12/07 8:26:24AM
hes lost all his big sponsors and msnbc took his show off of the air, as far as radio goes he might stick around, but smacker hit it on the head with the elitist comment. the guy is just a complete douche who gets off at the sound of his own voice and laughs harder than anyone at his own jokes. im glad he wont be there when im flipping through channels in the morning in a hungover haze....the man has a face for radio that is tough to look at when your tongue feels hairy and your head is pounding
We_Todd_Did
4/13/07 5:47:42PM
My only problem with the issue is this (just a good example, there are many others):

If Imus loses his job over a small (albeit stupid) remark like that, shouldn't they throw Howard Stern in a pit and let every woman with even a hint of self-respect pelt him to death with big effin' rocks?But no, he has a 15 MILLION dollar contract....somethin about that smells awful bad to me...
hcazlekker
4/13/07 6:13:40PM
Carlos Mencia, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle (three more examples)

Racism is great material for stand up comedians. Its funny how ignorant and stereotypical we can act sometimes.

I see the serious issues of reverse discrimination, and racism in general fading generation by generation. The most racist Americans I've met have been 40+. Given they grew up in the civil rights era, its understandable imo. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

shackle
4/13/07 7:42:22PM
Yeah I think it's so stupid!

It's fine until someone white says something. Blacks can talk, and trash white all day long without anything happening. It's just jokes, but if whites "just joke" we get called a racist? This makes no since at all! I don't think any race should get special treatment. Every race in history has when through horrible things.
People make racist comments about native Americans all the time, and nothing happens why? There race was nearly totally wiped out.

As far as Imus I'm not sure what all happened so not sure. I don't know him or ever heard him.

Posted by hcazlekker

Carlos Mencia, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle (three more examples)

Racism is great material for stand up comedians. Its funny how ignorant and stereotypical we can act sometimes.

I see the serious issues of reverse discrimination, and racism in general fading generation by generation. The most racist Americans I've met have been 40+. Given they grew up in the civil rights era, its understandable imo. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

hippysmacker
4/14/07 1:12:34AM

Posted by We_Todd_Did

My only problem with the issue is this (just a good example, there are many others):

If Imus loses his job over a small (albeit stupid) remark like that, shouldn't they throw Howard Stern in a pit and let every woman with even a hint of self-respect pelt him to death with big effin' rocks?But no, he has a 15 MILLION dollar contract....somethin about that smells awful bad to me...

I see your point, but I think the difference lies in the perception. Imus is considered a journalist by the mainstream media for some reason. He may think he's a comedian , like some of the guys you mentioned, but I don't think he very funny. Stern is just a shock jock, people listen to him for the lowest common denominator of humanity on purpose.
Ydoc
4/14/07 2:21:09AM

Posted by shackle
People make racist comments about native Americans all the time, and nothing happens why? There race was nearly totally wiped out.

Heh, I've actually pondered this recently, what if the two races were to switch places... Blacks were here first and we wiped out all but a few and we shipped in Indians for free labor. Would teenage white kids try to act cool by rain dancing and wearing face paint? Would mohawks be big?

Better yet, would we have baseball teams like the Atlanta Blackies and the Cleveland Tarbabies? What would be the indian equivalent of the "n" word?

deadcore
4/14/07 9:30:19AM

Posted by We_Todd_Did

15 million dollar contract? he has a 500 million dollar contract. where you hear that 15 million shit at? imus ain't shit compared to stern. stern has more listeners on sirius than imus had on free radio.
We_Todd_Did
4/16/07 1:46:58AM

Posted by deadcore

Posted by We_Todd_Did

15 million dollar contract? he has a 500 million dollar contract. where you hear that 15 million shit at? imus ain't shit compared to stern. stern has more listeners on sirius than imus had on free radio.

500 million?Dear God....that kinda makes me wish for a friggin comet to wipe out humanity.Allowing someone to get paid that much for being unfunny filth is unforgivable.Then again, there's an awful lot of idiots that need to be entertained I guess.....

Yeah, Imus ain't shit compared to Stern.Shit ain't even shit compared to Stern.He's the shittiest
Svartorm
4/16/07 2:46:44AM
Its not as bad as it looks. I'm pretty sure thats 500 million over the course of 15 years or something like that.
deadcore
4/16/07 10:38:30AM

Posted by Svartorm

Its not as bad as it looks. I'm pretty sure thats 500 million over the course of 15 years or something like that.

its a 5 year contract. plus at the end of 2006 he was given a 85 million bonus for sirius having higher than expected subscribers.