Who impressed you the most in last nights K-1 Dynamite?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who impressed you the most in last nights K-1 Dynamite?
POLL: ?
Shinya Aoki 15% (7)
Melvin Manhoef 49% (23)
Alistair Overeem 34% (16)
Other (who?) 2% (1)
mentalcase
12/31/08 10:44:59PM
Shinya Aoki vs. Eddie Alvarez
Round 1
Alvarez takes a middle kick to the ribs as he’s chasing Aoki down, trying to close the distance to deliver some punches. Aoki shoots for a double and Eddie sprawls and pulls away. Aoki scoots toward him on his butt, chasing him about the ring. Aoki jumps up to try and kick Alvarez’s head, but misses and lands. Aoki begins scooting toward Alvarez again, chasing him on his posterior until the ref stands him up. Eddie throws a middle kick that Aoki catches, at which point he flies onto Alvarez’s back in the clinch. Alvarez is quick to execute a beautiful harai-goshi to land on top in mount. Aoki scrambles out from underneath, and puts Alvarez into guard. Aoki then goes for a leglock, dragging Alvarez to the canvas. The both of them still dry, Aoki is able to get enough grip to catch and torque the heel hook for the tap at 1:32.

Mark Hunt vs. Melvin Manhoef
Round 1
Manhoef circles on the outside, wary, as from the center of the ring, Mark Hunt primes himself to lunge and attack. Hunt lunges to flurry, and Manhoef counters with a huge left and right hook combo that land square on the Samoan Monster’s jaw, sending him crashing to the mat at a mere 18 seconds in the first round for a stunning KO.

Alistair Overeem vs. Badr Hari
Round 1
A huge left knee to the face, followed by a left hook knocks Hari silly and puts him down for the knockdown. After answering the count, Hari gets a few punches in before Overeem compresses and explodes with a huge left hook, countering a wide Hari right, dropping the Moroccan for the KO at 2:07 of the first round.

“For all MMA fighters, and everybody, who think respect is important: there you go,” said Overeem in his post-fight comments.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
Jimbo
12/31/08 10:52:57PM
Its a toss up between Overeem and Manhoef IMO

i voted for Overeem though, A LOT of people were doubting him going in to this fight and thought he was an idiot for stepping up and fighting Hari. He beat Hari at what Hari does best and he did it handily. And Overeem's whole year was awesome.

But massive props to Manhoef for KO'ing the unKOable man

copcopps
12/31/08 11:07:38PM
Melvin, though I hate him now because I'm a huge Hunt fan
mentalcase
12/31/08 11:24:50PM
Oh yeah for thoso of you who dont know:

(wikipedia)
K-1 Dynamite!! 2008
While rumors of his participation and his opponent were abound, it was finally announced that Badr would face MMA Heavyweight Alistair Overeem in a K-1 rules match on K-1's NYE extravaganza. Hari lost the fight by the KO in the first round.

Part of the fight agreement is that both Badr and Overeem would also fight each other in a MMA match for FEG's DREAM promotion sometime in 2009.

so overeem gets to school this punk again in an MMA match, sweet
Mchubb316
12/31/08 11:48:40PM

Posted by mentalcase

Oh yeah for thoso of you who dont know:

(wikipedia)
K-1 Dynamite!! 2008
While rumors of his participation and his opponent were abound, it was finally announced that Badr would face MMA Heavyweight Alistair Overeem in a K-1 rules match on K-1's NYE extravaganza. Hari lost the fight by the KO in the first round.

Part of the fight agreement is that both Badr and Overeem would also fight each other in a MMA match for FEG's DREAM promotion sometime in 2009.

so overeem gets to school this punk again in an MMA match, sweet

If Overeem does get to fight him in an MMA rules match, yes he will school him. I think Overeem proved that he is a superior fighter and that fight wont happen. He has bigger fish to fry.

Manhoef is a beast and impressed me very much. He bounced back from a tough loss. He considerd retirement, and dominated a very game Hunt.
Mayhem13
1/1/09 1:46:08AM
WAR OVEREEM!!!

but big props to Manhoef for doing the un-do-able with a days notice, and a huge weight disadvantage..
cowcatcher
1/1/09 4:53:11AM
easily manhoef. hunt was not only thought of as un-KOable by guys in his own weight class, there was no way a guy that much smaller could do it. melvin did the unthinkable, so although alistair was extremely impressive, melvins performance was off the charts.
mentalcase
1/1/09 5:18:08AM
No love for aoki?
looks like I'm the only one that voted for him so far only 26% of us picked him to win.

and he beat very impressively the guy alot of people thought was the best LW after BJ
Pookie
1/1/09 6:37:30AM

Posted by mentalcase

No love for aoki?
looks like I'm the only one that voted for him so far only 26% of us picked him to win.

and he beat very impressively the guy alot of people thought was the best LW after BJ

I expected him to beat him like that so in that sense its not as impressive as a 185 KO'ng Hunt with a simple 1-2 counter in 18 seconds.

Alistair isnt as impressive IMO because he was 50 lbs heavier than Hari, and Manhuef is about 80-90 pounds lighter than Hunt.
The_Ho_Bag
1/1/09 8:48:41AM
2008 was the year of people knocking out the unKOable people =)

WAR Aoki

fear the stretchy pants
JackHammerXXX
1/1/09 10:30:30AM
First off, as impressive as Overeem, was, and has been. I am very concerned with Allistair's appearance. How does a man gain thirty pounds, and they all look like muscle? In a year? In a post yesterday, I seen someone put his weigh in totals dating back to Nov.07, and he weighed 223 I think. He was fighting Liddell and Arona at 205! Anyways, duded looked huge, and dominated a K-1 guy at striking. As good as his standup looked, I just can't get past him and his 'artificial' looks,

Aoki by sub. was no surprise. Still very impressed. Melvin did what anybody can do, knock 'a guy' out as big as he is. But he did knock out Hunt, who never has. So big ups to him. Melvin by default, because Overeem's suspicious training tactics.
FrankTheTank1181
1/1/09 2:40:03PM
Definetly Melvin was the most impressive. Coming in on short notice and knocking out a much bigger guy in Hunt so fast. Anyone else get a kick out of Aoki's butt-scoot chase with Alvarez? Aoki was smart to do all he could to avoid the stand-up because his striking skills are severely lacking.
cmill21
1/1/09 2:46:48PM
Melvin, no argument. HE KO'D HUNT! This is the guy who dropped his hands and screamed at Sefo to hit him harder, Ate 3 Cro Cop head kicks flush, falling once, and laughed at JLB as he hit him.
Hendo67
1/1/09 3:33:03PM
My god, who would have thought Hunt would get KO'd? Melvin impressed me so much... the guy has cement in his gloves.

I love both Melvin and Mark.
jiujitsufreak74
1/1/09 4:33:00PM
i had to vote for Aoki, i mean i absolutely flipped when i saw Alvarez tap.

but after that event, i don't think i know anything about MMA anymore. i mean first Nog gets KOed, then Hunt gets KOed...what's next....AA gets a flying gogoplata on Fedor?
Gipper
1/1/09 4:35:07PM
aoki

gained much more love for overeem after what he did and said
EvenFlow
1/1/09 4:46:25PM
Overeem beat one of the best kickboxer in the world at his own game under K-1 rules !!!!! by far the most impressive.

Also Manhoef finishing Hunt was very very shocking.
RampageOwnedYou
1/1/09 4:49:49PM
I love how everyone is on the Overeem bangwagon, to think last week there was a thread up in regards to overrated/underrated. And all of you put him as overrated, now everyone is in love with him. Or bashing him trying to say he is doing drugs........
cmill21
1/1/09 4:52:18PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

I love how everyone is on the Overeem bangwagon, to think last week there was a thread up in regards to overrated/underrated. And all of you put him as overrated, now everyone is in love with him. Or bashing him trying to say he is doing drugs........

Yep that was me, still overrated IMO.
RampageOwnedYou
1/1/09 5:20:27PM
So what does he need to do IYO?.
He has beaten Beuntello, Lee, Hunt, CroCrop and now Bader Hari in K1 all in a row. And even though the Mirko fight didnt count, he dominated even before the knees came into play.
EvenFlow
1/1/09 5:24:17PM

I can't be impressed and not be on his bandwagon? All I said was how I was impressed that he beat one of the best kickboxers in the world in K-1.
RampageOwnedYou
1/1/09 5:42:12PM
my comment was towards cmill. should of quoted him, my bad.
jae_1833
1/1/09 5:55:35PM

Posted by JackHammerXXX

First off, as impressive as Overeem, was, and has been. I am very concerned with Allistair's appearance. How does a man gain thirty pounds, and they all look like muscle? In a year? In a post yesterday, I seen someone put his weigh in totals dating back to Nov.07, and he weighed 223 I think. He was fighting Liddell and Arona at 205! Anyways, duded looked huge, and dominated a K-1 guy at striking. As good as his standup looked, I just can't get past him and his 'artificial' looks,

Aoki by sub. was no surprise. Still very impressed. Melvin did what anybody can do, knock 'a guy' out as big as he is. But he did knock out Hunt, who never has. So big ups to him. Melvin by default, because Overeem's suspicious training tactics.

Allright man I gotta tell you first of all that I have taken a couple of cycles of what your accusing Overeem of, and while I did gain 60lbs in 5 months, I in no way got faster. They have different types for different desired affects and you have to train for those desired affects while using. If he did use more than 1 designer at a time (which does happen) he could quickly develop numerous health defects from it. Now at the same time I lost my gains pretty quickly after I stopped because of the training slow down I went through when I stopped. My brother on the other hand is all natural, way larger, and stronger. Not to mention if he goes through a slump in training he doesn't lose as much as I have. I am pretty sure they test in K-1 though don't they??
cmill21
1/1/09 5:56:25PM

my comment was towards cmill. should of quoted him, my bad.

Beat a top 10 HW in MMA. He didn't beat Cro Cop, plain and simple. The last top HW he fought other then Cro Cop was Kharitonov, remember how that wen't? We'll see how he does in his planned match up against Remy, I thought Badr looked like he just wanted a one punch KO and threw everything from the hip, I was happy he beat Badr, but I thought he looked unnaturally large.

EDIT: They do not test in K-1.
loller90278
1/1/09 7:14:58PM
even if overeem takes vitamin S, it is fair game in japan because they dont test for it. i personally believe he doesnt taken vitamin S, he progressively got bigger for every fight from 205, to 223, to 245 to now.. i would imagine that his walking weight around a year ago was somewhere near 225..

urbman
1/1/09 9:54:52PM
Aoki for me,he beat Alvarez which is a fighter I hold in high regard.Plus,how could you not enjoy the crab-crawl pursuit ?
Wolfenstein
1/1/09 11:49:37PM

Posted by urbman

Aoki for me,he beat Alvarez which is a fighter I hold in high regard.Plus,how could you not enjoy the crab-crawl pursuit ?

I loved the crab-crawl...for a minute I thought they had super-imposed faces on Eddie Bravo and Royler Gracie.
george112
1/2/09 12:15:30AM
im gonna go with Overeem on this one.
but he did look stacked.but who cares.if they dont test for it than its fair game.
just like if they didnt test here in the states im almost positive everyone would be stacked
bls1919
1/2/09 7:01:42PM
Melvin Manhoef took it for me. Proving Hunt is human. Great power. I would love to see him in the UFC
cmill21
1/2/09 7:30:33PM
I just rewatched the Overeem Hari fight...Overeem is rediculously huge, guys watch the Buentello fight (he had been at HW for close to a year) since then he looks like he has doubled his trap's, shoulders, arms, and legs. His face has also swollen noticeably. He gained 12lb's of what looks to be pure muscle in 3 months. Look at his trap's in the Cro Cop fight, then in the Hari fight...