The 10 Most Important Fighters to the Business of Mixed Martial Arts Part I

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » The 10 Most Important Fighters to the Business of Mixed Martial Arts Part I
MMAcca
6/30/08 1:13:56PM
The mixed martial arts business has seen its ups and downs during its short history. This list is intended to capture the fighters who had the biggest influence in creating interest in the sport and drawing money.

This list is not intended to be a simple listing of the fighters who drew the most money. If that were the sole criterion, the list would look significantly different. Rather, this list is designed to capture the fighters who were most important in shaping the business. Fighters who sparked increases in business and paved the way for bigger things are given additional weight even if they drew less money at the time.

The four fighters who came the closest to making the list but fell short were Masakatsu Funaki, Wanderlei Silva, Matt Hughes and Kid Yamamoto.

LINK
mrsmiley
6/30/08 1:28:39PM
Great list so far.Glad to see their looking at MMA in a "worldview" as opposed to just the American shores.

Wrestlers like Takada brought the sport a lot of attention in Japan,and I think the same would happen in America if some of the top stars over here made the same transistions.
Vote4Fedro
6/30/08 1:32:13PM
That list is a joke. Randy below 2 freak shows.
mrsmiley
6/30/08 1:41:08PM
That's how it goes man.It's not always the best fighter who draws the most money.Just look at kimbo.
Twenty20Dollars
6/30/08 1:50:18PM
i wonder who is 1 through 5.
juanez13
6/30/08 2:15:24PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

i wonder who is 1 through 5.

i Think Fedor, Sakuraba, Liddell, Ortiz, and wanderlei silva will be the top 5. (not in specific order)
hotrodttt
6/30/08 2:15:49PM
My Prediction for 1-5 is

1. Sakuraba
2. Chuck Liddell
3. Fedor
4. Wandy
5. Tito

Edit: Wow ! Like 15 Seconds after Juanez posted his, We have the same thing
grappler0000
6/30/08 2:18:06PM

Posted by hotrodttt

My Prediction for 1-5 is

1. Sakuraba
2. Chuck Liddell
3. Fedor
4. Wandy
5. Tito

Edit: Wow ! Like 15 Seconds after Juanez posted his, We have the same thing

Wanderlei won't be on the list, but I agree with the rest. Royce would probably take the final spot.
finnish_line
6/30/08 2:37:49PM

The four fighters who came the closest to making the list but fell short were Masakatsu Funaki, Wanderlei Silva, Matt Hughes and Kid Yamamoto.

It'll be Royce.
juanez13
6/30/08 2:42:43PM
yea its probably Royce than.
NeaRMisS
6/30/08 3:03:56PM
1. Sakurabi
2. Royce
3. Tito
4. Fedor
5. Chuck

Pyrenus
6/30/08 3:17:18PM
You think Tito makes the top 5?
billycarnage
6/30/08 3:32:15PM
I don't like Tito but I think he should be in the top 5. He brought a lot of attention to the sport in the early days when he was the champ.
Him and Chuck are big reasons why Randy made the list.
Leland
6/30/08 4:20:42PM
Tito and Chuck are def. top 5's. Fedor is up there too, he was huge in Japan.

Kimbo is probably #1. Yeah definitely.
hotrodttt
6/30/08 4:21:55PM
Maybe Ken Shamrock is in the Top 5
kaskd
6/30/08 5:13:20PM

Posted by hotrodttt

He did make decent splash, but i feel he was more noise than money. Glad they put crocop up there. My favorite fighter even though he was never really the best. Since everyone seems to have a consensus on who the other 5 fighters are i'm going to try and put some fighters who might be on the list.

Forrest Griffin - He made Spike TV and helped out UFC a lot.
Michael Bisping - He is the European sell. He sells out every time the ufc goes.
Wanderlei Silva - Maybe i'm mistaken, but i always thought he was a huge sell in Japan.
tomp6581
6/30/08 5:46:40PM
I love how this list is about fact & figures and not rankings.

my guess for the top 5 are...In no order

Ortiz
Chuck
wanderlei!
Sakuraba
Rickson or Royce

juanez13
6/30/08 6:16:05PM

Posted by kaskd

Posted by hotrodttt

He did make decent splash, but i feel he was more noise than money. Glad they put crocop up there. My favorite fighter even though he was never really the best. Since everyone seems to have a consensus on who the other 5 fighters are i'm going to try and put some fighters who might be on the list.

Forrest Griffin - He made Spike TV and helped out UFC a lot.
Michael Bisping - He is the European sell. He sells out every time the ufc goes.
Wanderlei Silva - Maybe i'm mistaken, but i always thought he was a huge sell in Japan.

read the sentence before the list stars, its says the wanderlei was close to making it but fell short.
mk1630
6/30/08 6:18:09PM

Posted by Pyrenus

You think Tito makes the top 5?

There is no way that he wont be. I think Chuck and him will go 1 and 2.
mrsmiley
6/30/08 6:48:23PM

Posted by hotrodttt

I can see see that.I've herd his fights with Tito drew the UFC more money than any other card they've put on.I'm not sure how accurate this is,but I can believe it.
MMAcca
6/30/08 11:41:09PM
I didn't realise Fedor was such a big draw, i thought he always struggled to sell PPV buys ?
NeaRMisS
7/1/08 1:33:48AM

Posted by MMAcca

I didn't realise Fedor was such a big draw, i thought he always struggled to sell PPV buys ?

In america he is only known by fans that are "die hards" or w/e term you want to use.

He's one of the biggest draws for pride. Also to the person that said something about tito. He was the BIGGEST thing for UFC at the start. Dana white even said it himself, Tito Ortiz was the "poster boy" for the UFC. I would be shocked if he wasn't top 3.