Should the UFC implement the Cruiserweight Division?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should the UFC implement the Cruiserweight Division?
POLL: Which is better all Heavyweight or split to include Cruiserweight?
All Heavyweight 63% (25)
Split to include Cruiserweight 38% (15)
Scott_Revels
10/27/07 11:03:34PM
I was looking at other organizations, and the International Fighting Championships uses a division that no other organization uses called the Cruiserweight Division. This is basically the fighters between 206-230 lbs. This eliminates fights where you have a guy barely keeping below 265 from facing a guy who is 210.

Though I don't see it ever happening. If it did it'd be down the road. Like with Lightweights who want to drop even further into a Featherweight Division, which by the way should also be added as well, this way guys who can't make 205, don't have to deal with the heavier fighters who out weigh them by more than 30 lbs.

Opinions?
roadking95th
10/27/07 11:30:42PM
I replied to only have HW. The reason is that I don't feel there is enough talent and cards to fill both Cruiser and Heavy weights. I feel they should add a 145lb class first, as there is plenty of talent to fill it. However, they still don't have enough cards and the UFC would be taking something that is unique and something the WEC can hang their hats on, away from them.

So, add more cards to the UFC's schedule and add 145 first. Then, when more talent is developed, maybe add a cruiser weight.
Scott_Revels
10/27/07 11:43:43PM
Yeah, I would rather see the Featherweight division first. Also with the lack of talent, except for the likes of Sylvia, most of the Heavyweights would fall into the Cruiserweight division. Plus with a cruiserweight division, you could see more fights between LHW's and HW's, where as without it, you won't see a Bisping/Sylvia fight ever happen.
ChokeUout
10/27/07 11:45:57PM
I fully agree. I'm always felt they should add a featherweight division (not a bantamweight). ANd the Cruiserweight Division would make sense as well. Granted, If we'd have had that, then UFC 68 wouldn't have been as cool, haha. But overall, that would make more sense.

But you said it best. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it
Scott_Revels
10/28/07 12:00:12AM
If we had the Cruiserweight division, UFC 68's main event wouldn't have ever happened. Randy might still have beaten whatever champion the CW Division had, but Tim would also still be the HW division's champion. At least we could say that we wouldn't have to sit through another Sylvia/Monson..
Believe-in-judo81
10/28/07 12:38:36AM
Implementing more weight classes in between the current ones is an idea that I'm sure some of the fighter the are in between weightclasses support, and I like it because it opens up the possibilities for more fights with fighters at more comfortable weights. That said, I think the big orgs need to implement new, smallers weight divisions first. Featherweight-145lbs Bantamweight-135lbs flyweight-125lbs(Most exciting div. in the world if you ask me, look at SHOOTO's 123lb class.), and Straweight 115lbs. Lightweights are great and iyt's a very deep class but there are little guys just as explosive and exciting, and insanely talented, waiting for a shot at the big time. Zuffa, Pro Elite, IFL etc, take a page out of SHOOTO's book and make it happen. The only thing that can possibly result is a new influx of more fights with exciting talented fighters, and an increase in profit.
GrandMaster313
10/28/07 12:47:21AM

Posted by roadking95th

I replied to only have HW. The reason is that I don't feel there is enough talent and cards to fill both Cruiser and Heavy weights. I feel they should add a 145lb class first, as there is plenty of talent to fill it. However, they still don't have enough cards and the UFC would be taking something that is unique and something the WEC can hang their hats on, away from them.

So, add more cards to the UFC's schedule and add 145 first. Then, when more talent is developed, maybe add a cruiser weight.

Exactly my thoughts. Dividing a division that is already scarce in GOOD talent would just make things more difficult. A heavyweight in my eyes is someone 220 and up. I don't think there even needs to be a limit in maximum weight. Let the Giants roam freely!!!!
hook_tothe_body
10/28/07 12:57:38AM
I voted "split to include cruiserweight." Even though I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I also agree with everyone else when they say UFC should add a 145 pound division. Most of the time I like watching the smaller fighters go at it compared to most heavyweights.
Scott_Revels
10/28/07 1:00:04AM
Then what happens to the guys who are 206 to 219? They are still forced to fight guys larger than them.

As for going all the way down to Flyweight and Straweight, I don't think that's necessary. Your asking for trouble when you have divisions that far down. Most of the guys weighing less than 135 can just pile on some weight or muscle and fight in Bantam.
GrandMaster313
10/28/07 1:09:56AM

Posted by Scott_Revels

Then what happens to the guys who are 206 to 219? They are still forced to fight guys larger than them.

As for going all the way down to Flyweight and Straweight, I don't think that's necessary. Your asking for trouble when you have divisions that far down. Most of the guys weighing less than 135 can just pile on some weight or muscle and fight in Bantam.

Then anyone who is 206-212 should drop to 205 and anyone 213-219 should move up . C'mon ask anyone who fights either boxing , MMA , it is a lot easier to cut or add 5 or 6 Lbs. then it is to skip an entire weight class. In lamens terms it's called making weight..LOL
JBatch
10/28/07 2:32:41AM
All HW it has a weight limit cap on it to make sure the discrepencies are not too large and when a HW is 215-220 and not doing to well or doesn't like his chances against bigger opponents he can drop like Rashad Evans did and Brandon Vera should do.

I agree that if they can find the talent the UFC should implement at featherweight division.
ohiostate1016
10/28/07 9:05:33AM
No, I don't think they should add a Cruiserweight division. Guys from 206-230 should be able to make 205. If they can't, then they should put on weight and fight at heavyweight. If they wanted to stop putting 210 pound guys against guys at 265, then they would. It's that simple.

I also don't think the UFC should add the Featherweight (145) division. To me, the UFC has always been about the divisons with the bigger guys, such as 170, 185, and 205. It's really hard to dedicate enough time to 5 divisons, let alone 6. As much as I'd like to see Urijah Faber fight in the UFC, I think he'll have to do it at 155.
HulkRage
10/28/07 1:54:27PM
Not a bad idea, bu tI don't see it happening. I agree that the spread of the heaviweight class is a big one, maybe make HW 206 - 225 or 230 and then bring in Super HW from 230 - ?
keith-hackney1
10/28/07 4:51:14PM
Hey, more weight classes, more titles to defend, makes this sport and the ufc more competitive. I welcome the introductions of more weight classes.
Pitbull09
10/28/07 5:42:00PM
No doubt there should be one. Why does it make any sense all the other weight classes have only around 20lbs of a margin but heavy has 60! Its unbelievable to have guys like Randy Couture and Brandon Vera fight Tim Sylvia. I understand their isn't enough talent to set the up right now in the UFC. But I really would love to see a division where smaller heavyweights (AA and Vera) could have their own titles and dont have to worry an opponent with a big weight advantage
Pitbull09
10/28/07 5:46:24PM

Posted by JBatch

All HW it has a weight limit cap on it to make sure the discrepencies are not too large and when a HW is 215-220 and not doing to well or doesn't like his chances against bigger opponents he can drop like Rashad Evans did and Brandon Vera should do.

I agree that if they can find the talent the UFC should implement at featherweight division.

I agree with you on the featherweight division. UFC NEEDS URIJAH FABER!