immediate title shot!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » immediate title shot!
Biggz
2/28/09 5:04:50PM
in a recent interview while talking about Fedor, Dana White said that if he signed with the UFC they would give him an immediate title shot, i agree with that. but i got wondering, is there anyone out of the UFC in any weight class that if brought into the UFC is good enough to get an immediate title shot? if so who?
and if not, would get get a number one contender fight?
maybe like a Overeem (sp?) or a Kid
what do you guys think?
EvenFlow
2/28/09 5:10:08PM
Hendo got immediated title shots at Rampage and Anderson to unify the belts between Pride and the UFC. The only ones left to unify are Gomi (cough* Diaz cough*) and Fedor, so of corse he would get an immediated title shot, even if he lost to Andrei he'd still get an immediate title shot (asuming he came over).

Nobody else will get an immediate title shot, unless they have Brock ppv selling capability.
prozacnation1978
2/28/09 5:12:02PM
i would agree with that
after mir vs lesnar fight there is no clear cut number one contender out there closes thing is gonzaga but if he loses then what?? maybe carwin or cain would get it or kongo but i doubt it
Franklinfan47
2/28/09 5:34:05PM
I think Fedor is literally the only fighter that if brought in would get an immediate title shot. Really no other top ten p4p fighters out there who arent signed by the ufc.
AchillesHeel
2/28/09 5:58:20PM
After Kenny Florian, I could see Shinya Aoki getting a UFC title fight without any preamble. I don't think he has any interest, though.

Nobody else leaps to mind. Gegard Mousasi and Jake Shields seem like the best non-UFC Middleweight and Welterweight, respectively, but I wouldn't give either one a title shot without at least one decisive win over a division gate-keeper. I'd love to see Kid Yamamoto in the WEC, but he hasn't fought in more than a year, so I wouldn't give him a title shot right away, either.
haggiswashere
2/28/09 6:01:53PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

After Kenny Florian, I could see Shinya Aoki getting a UFC title fight without any preamble. I don't think he has any interest, though.

Nobody else leaps to mind. Gegard Mousasi and Jake Shields seem like the best non-UFC Middleweight and Welterweight, respectively, but I wouldn't give either one a title shot without at least one decisive win over a division gate-keeper. I'd love to see Kid Yamamoto in the WEC, but he hasn't fought in more than a year, so I wouldn't give him a title shot right away, either.

Thing is is that everyone knows Fedor but not alot of casual fans know Aoki, Gegard, or shields, so I think dana would try and build there popularity. Everyone had already knew Hendo.
cmill21
2/28/09 6:06:53PM

Posted by haggiswashere

Thing is is that everyone knows Fedor but not alot of casual fans know Aoki, Gegard, or shields, so I think dana would try and build there popularity. Everyone had already knew Hendo.

No casuals I know knew who Hendo was.
haggiswashere
2/28/09 6:19:46PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by haggiswashere

He knocked out Wandy. Why wouldn't they know him? I'm not talking casuals who only know Chuck Liddell and "that guy he knocked out" I'm talking casuals who try to follow it.
bls1919
2/28/09 7:28:23PM
Other than Fedor I don't think anyone deserves an imediate title shot. You could make a case for a fight for #1 conrender, but there are so many variables. It hurts to think about!!!!
mkiv9secsupra
2/28/09 8:31:33PM
barnett has been waiting his turn to fight the #1 p4p fighter for years while knocking off top contenders. He has proven he has everything needed to be a great champion as well. if the ufc re-signed him i think he is an obvious choice to get an immediate title shot or a serious contender like couture, mir, or nogueira.

if the ufc signed him i dont think anyone would stop him from reigning. he is one of the few people i think could nullify all the high class wrestlers in the division.

WAR BARNY!.......until fedor signs
cmill21
2/28/09 10:08:07PM

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by cmill21

Posted by haggiswashere

He knocked out Wandy. Why wouldn't they know him? I'm not talking casuals who only know Chuck Liddell and "that guy he knocked out" I'm talking casuals who try to follow it.

Pride, not many people knew about it.
lohmann
2/28/09 10:25:38PM
Of course Emelianenko deserves an immediate title shot. Anything else is ridiculous. I doubt White would get negotiations even started without the offer of an immediate title shot.

I could see Yamamoto getting an immediate title shot at featherweight too if there was a lull in potential contenders, just because of the way Faber has repeatedly said he wanted Yamamoto.
thereg
2/28/09 10:51:44PM
really what it comes down to is at this time i don't think there are any fighters besides fedor who would be able to come into the ufc and get an immediate title shot, there really isn't any one out there, that i know of, that could come in and dominate a weight class the way that fedor would, the only one close i would agree is overeem, but even then i would think that he would have to fight and beat a guy like gonzaga it would be like when the ufc introduced us to the wrecking machine we know as anderson silva
tmas
3/1/09 7:11:26AM
there are plenty of guys who would get 1 shot title shots as in Anderson Silva he fought the #1 contender Leben, who he beat and went on to take title shot....and like Shogun when he fought and lost to Forrest giving Forrest the #1 contender spot.....People like Jake Sheilds, Gomi, amoung others would be here........I think Fedor belongs here too, i dont want to see anyone getting a title shot in their first fight with the UFC...

Fedor is the only one that i see being given that opportunity to lose in his first UFC fight for the championship......and then a welcome to the big top!
cmb19932
3/1/09 9:58:44AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

barnett has been waiting his turn to fight the #1 p4p fighter for years while knocking off top contenders. He has proven he has everything needed to be a great champion as well. if the ufc re-signed him i think he is an obvious choice to get an immediate title shot or a serious contender like couture, mir, or nogueira.

if the ufc signed him i dont think anyone would stop him from reigning. he is one of the few people i think could nullify all the high class wrestlers in the division.

WAR BARNY!.......until fedor signs

or cro cop sings
fullerene
3/2/09 4:14:19PM
To make sense, the fighter should at least have a strong argument for being the best in the world in their weight class.

Fedor certainly qualifies. I think Yamamoto qualifies. If Barnett beats Fedor he could be considered as well, otherwise not. Aoki, Moussasi...I don't think so since nobody is questioning the credentials of the UFC champs in those weight classes the way they do at HW and, to a lesser extent FW, because of a singular, unsigned fighter.
EliasG
3/2/09 5:45:07PM
Yeah, it's a tough question since "deserve" and "makes money" are two different things. I would try to "make money" in these economic times if I was a promoter. Even the UFC can go out of a business with the way lending is these days.

Kid Y would get consideration right away from me.

I think Barnett 'deserves' a shot right away but he doesn't care, he is a true fighter and would just fight.

I think Fedor 'deserves' a shot and would make a ton of money too.

I don't think Gomi deserves a shot right away but he'd be fun to watch---I just don't think he's who we remember him to be.

Aoki is dope but I don't think he can win in a cage with the strikers he would face. His subs are a thing of beauty though.

Really, you guys are right--Fedor is the only one that truly deserves a title shot, leapfrogging other waiting guys in the company, and makes the company a ton of money.

gsquat
3/2/09 8:26:45PM
Fedor definitely deserves an immediate shot.

Possible others would be Mousasi, Manhoef, or Aoki.