illegal knees?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » illegal knees?
haggiswashere
9/18/08 5:36:54AM
ok tell me how houston alexander kneed eric in the face twice while he was down and didn't get busted but the dude now even two hours later on TUF got in trouble for it? and i thought if one knee was up it wasn't illegal but i guess i was wrong. what qualifies as "down"?
Khaos
9/18/08 6:49:43AM
It looked like he did to me, I have the fight downloaded, it looks like he did hit him with one for sure, but the second was "If-y".
juanez13
9/18/08 6:53:22AM
Pretty damn sure he didnt, the first one didnt land on the face (landed on chest), and the second one Houston lifted shafer before he hit him, making the knee legal.

Close call, he also hit Jardine with an illegal knee on their fight i remember
jocka
9/18/08 6:57:37AM
I ll have to watch it again but i said the same thing when i saw the first knee hit.
haggiswashere
9/18/08 7:04:13AM
but what counts as "down" officially?
Aether
9/18/08 7:18:46AM
if any part of any of your limbs other than the soles of your feet are in contact with the ground knees are illegal to the head. ie: one knee, one elbow, one hand.
Rush
9/18/08 8:20:23AM
I saw the one on TUF and it was obvious. Didn't notice one in the Alexander fight.

However, the one on TUF just blew me away. That has to be the most obvious illegal knee in UFC history as far as I am concerned. The guy wasn't even on the way up. Then the other guy guy says, I though he was up. Come on, do some of these fighters lose their head when they fight?
emfleek
9/18/08 8:32:31AM

Posted by jocka

I ll have to watch it again but i said the same thing when i saw the first knee hit.

Same here. I'd like to see it again in slow-motion.
stock
9/18/08 8:47:25AM

Posted by juanez13

Pretty damn sure he didnt, the first one didnt land on the face (landed on chest), and the second one Houston lifted shafer before he hit him, making the knee legal.

I don't believe any of his knees in the Jardine or Schafer fight were illegal.
Rush
9/18/08 9:08:58AM
I did notice Houston grabbing on to the shorts of Schafer though. No warning or anything.
MALICE
9/18/08 9:30:23AM

Posted by juanez13

That is the same thing I saw. I watched it in slow motion a couple of times.

The 1st knee, Schafer's knee was down, but Houston's knee hit the center of Schafer's chest.

The 2nd knee, Houston pulled Schafer's knee off the ground before the knee hit, otherwise it would have been illegal.
jomatty
9/18/08 9:53:28AM
i dont know but schafer showed some serious whiskers...houston would be better off not trying to fight like a refined mma fighter but to go back to his gong and dash technique ala james thompson. sure he will lose fights but he has the opportunity to overwhelm, overpower, and potentially beat almost anyone if he fights like that. if he fights patiently and like someone more skilled he is very likely to lose every time he fights decent competition imo...
cmb19932
9/18/08 11:07:47AM
i dont think schafer will be complaiining
emfleek
9/18/08 11:13:18AM

Posted by cmb19932

i dont think schafer will be complaiining

Agreed...but if the fight is stopped and ruled a No Contest, I'm ranked higher.

tmas
9/18/08 12:56:08PM
i rewatched the fight on tivo, its correct the knee's were legal i thought they were illegal at first but in slowmo you can see him lift him off barley to hit him.

as for the shorts i thought it was funny, he got away with that the ref didnt catch em. he thought he may have been and came over too look and thats when houston let go. I dont think it was on purpose its one of those things you just do nto realiazing it and then it hits you and its like o crap cant get seen.!
jocka
9/18/08 12:57:46PM

Posted by Rush

I did notice Houston grabbing on to the shorts of Schafer though. No warning or anything.

Actually he got a warning from the ref
sparky
9/18/08 8:17:00PM
Houston did that same thing to Jardine and no one did anything about it either one knee down is illegal and atleast 1 of those knees were illegal. makes the fact that he lost even better in my opinion couldnt even win with illegal knees.

Good Job Ravashing Red
bls1919
9/18/08 9:01:05PM
Legal or not Eric Schaffer has some rocks. HE hung in there and then dominated.
JasonSmolinski
9/19/08 10:22:23AM
Illegal knees or not, Alexander is awful. I wouldn't pick him in a fight against a pillow.
kaskd
9/19/08 6:35:46PM
Alexander's not a big deal b/c he lost anyway. The worst one ever is the Roger Huerta vs Halverson. The knees practically knocked Halverson out and they gave Huerta the obvious TKO b/c he mounted an illegally dazed fighter.
Poohbah
9/20/08 12:08:18AM
If said it before, Houston Alexander reminds me of Tank Abbott (back in the day). Not exactly a compliment!

Can anyone explain the takedown at the 2:41 mark? Houston had been defending the takedown really well, then he just sort of fell over. Was there a specific move or technique Schafer used? Did he give up?
RhythmAndStyle
9/22/08 12:09:16PM
i saw that too..and was thinkin WTF..the ref didn't say jack bout that..the second one even took Eric off of his knees..and big props to Eric for takin those and still pullin off the win...
mikevolz
9/22/08 1:47:40PM

Posted by stock

Posted by juanez13

I don't believe any of his knees in the Jardine or Schafer fight were illegal.

and bill clinton never had sex with monica lewinsky