Illegal knee?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Illegal knee?
Rush
9/7/08 9:37:47AM
Anyone else wonder if Franklin hit Hamill with an illegal knee in the first round? If anyone finds a gif I would certainly like the review that because I think it was close if not illegal.

I'm shocked it wasn't even mentioned.
grappler0000
9/7/08 9:45:27AM
Yeah, I called it too...I'm wondering if it hit the shoulder instead though.

Edit:
looks like his knee came up just in time...also, it's still hard to tell whether he connected with his chin or torso.

Cdellorso
9/7/08 9:53:20AM
YES!!! We saw it and though I only watched the fight once, I wondered why Rogan did not comment on it. Not sure it played ANY part in Matts being Man handled.... A bit disappointed thought he would fare alot better against Ace.
imanidiot777
9/7/08 9:59:14AM

Posted by Cdellorso

YES!!! We saw it and though I only watched the fight once, I wondered why Rogan did not comment on it. Not sure it played ANY part in Matts being Man handled.... A bit disappointed thought he would fare alot better against Ace.

He did comment on the knee but he said it was on his way up, and when I saw it I though Hamill's knees were off the ground when Franklin landed it.
bullettdodger
9/7/08 11:18:17AM

Posted by Cdellorso

I don't think Matt got "Man handled" at all. I think he did very well, Rich is a tough opponent for anyone to face and i think as always we'll see a better Matt Hamill for this.
JimiMak
9/7/08 11:24:12AM
I saw that too, was also surprised it wasn't mentioned. But I dont' think it played a part in the end.
jomatty
9/7/08 12:00:32PM
the gif shows that his knee is off of mat when he got hit...hamill proved in his loss to me that he can compete with the best though...
Rush
9/7/08 12:32:54PM
Wow, looks close even in slow motion.
casey64
9/7/08 1:17:54PM
The knee came up in time.
aaa9erh8er
9/7/08 1:24:01PM
i gota agree with rush it looks so close in slowmo that how in real time was it just over looked
DJDark41
9/7/08 2:44:15PM
Alot of my friends thought it might be illegal, but I could tell it wasn't. It was close, and I'm actually surprised the ref didn't break them up after that knee, thinking it was illegal.
Aaronno9
9/7/08 2:52:01PM
Well the knee was raised so i guess it wasn't illegal. I dont know how rich would of known that the knee was going to be raised though becouse he threw the knee while hammills knee was still on the floor.

Either way i dont think it played a big role, Hammill didnt seem hurt or anything. Im just happy Rich has a first win under his belt in his second run at 205. He looked pretty impressive to.
Kastro
9/7/08 2:52:11PM
I thought it hit him in the chest actually!
nickcuc547
9/7/08 3:53:32PM
looked perfectly timed to me, on the way up caught him right on the chin.
KYGUY07
9/7/08 4:19:00PM
i think hamill was on his way up as the knee caught him, plus i think it hit him in the chest.
haggiswashere
9/7/08 6:07:01PM
hamills knee was off the matt. watch riggs vs sanchez and its the same thing
Aether
9/7/08 6:26:31PM
Even if his knee weren't on the mat, I think it hit him high on the chest, near the clavicle. It's hard to tell from the angle of that .gif posted, but it looks like the upper chest to me, and his head doesn't snap back at all. (Granted, Rich is holding the back of his head, but it would still pop back if it hit him on the chin.)
Cdellorso
9/7/08 11:51:19PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by Cdellorso

I don't think Matt got "Man handled" at all. I think he did very well, Rich is a tough opponent for anyone to face and i think as always we'll see a better Matt Hamill for this.

Dont get me wrong I love Matt and picked him but it was not a close fight and he was ko'd.... by a body shot.... he was beaten in a pretty dominant way- it was no Boetsch VS Heath but it was a domination...

I like your passion and agree that it will make him better.... also the knee appears to be timed perfectly by Ace- instict was good to him, the jedi force and all with knowing exactly when Hammill was getting his knee up..
DevonFoxy
9/7/08 11:56:27PM

Posted by Cdellorso

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by Cdellorso

Dont get me wrong I love Matt and picked him but it was not a close fight and he was ko'd.... by a body shot.... he was beaten in a pretty dominant way- it was no Boetsch VS Heath but it was a domination...

I like your passion and agree that it will make him better....

He was hit in the liver....which will KO any fighter so it's not like it's something that makes him any less of a fighter. He took everything Rich threw at him which is no easy feat.

If he got into a camp like ATT and got some good striking Hamill would be top ten no doubt about it imo. He would use his wrestling to defend the takedowns and it would be pretty darn impossible to knock him out. Just my two cents.
Wolfenstein
9/8/08 12:05:51AM
I had to watch the slow-mo for a good couple minutes t see if it was legal. Wow that was close. I noticed it during the fight, but I thought it caught him in the chest.

This fight was a strange one. Hammil just never attempted to mount an offensive. Never shot for the takedown and never let his hands go. He just seemed to be waiting to be picked apart.

I really like both guys. It was kind of hard for me to see Matt get battered like that. The finish just couldn't come soon enough for me.