IFL champ Roy Nelson says choice to sign with Affliction was easy one

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » IFL champ Roy Nelson says choice to sign with Affliction was easy one
SmileR
8/16/08 3:14:37PM
After the seemingly defunct IFL closed its doors on July 31, IFL heavyweight champion Roy Nelson found himself among the many of the organization's fighters forced into free agency.

Nelson recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the choice to sign with upstart promoters Affliction was an easy one. Of course that was only after Nelson found out very unceremoniously his time with the IFL was over.

"Actually the first time I actually heard of [the IFL folding] was when I was doing a taping for 'Inside MMA' a couple of weeks back," Nelson said. "They actually announced it on the show, and that's when I found out."

Nelson said the disappointment of the league folding was tempered by his realization of new opportunities on the horizon.

"It really wasn't that tough just off the pure fact that with any business if your employer's not really sound and they don't take very good business strategies -- I knew there were bigger and better things," Nelson explained. "If [the IFL] had the potential to go get a Fedor (Emelianenko) or a Randy (Couture) or a top-10 guy like an (Andrei) Arlovski, then I would have been 10 times more happy. But I knew that wasn't going to happen."

Link
Porch28
8/16/08 4:05:40PM
He's going to get destroyed anyway so what does it really matter who he signs with. He'll be a punching bag for the other HW's in Affliction
rabbit915
8/16/08 5:06:33PM
Hes actually a pretty solid fighter but hes stepping into the realm of the best in the world. I dont think hell get to the top tier of there guys but im interested to see him against the lower tier guys.

I dont understand why the UFC doesnt go after top 25 (or at least top 50) talent in the HW division. They are content to sign guys with only a few fights. I dont get it.
lordicast
8/16/08 5:32:24PM
i thought he was a bright guy till he said " if i can get fedor first ill take it" sounds dumb as hell if u ask me.
hotrodttt
8/16/08 5:40:28PM
He'll do Better than people think he will, as I still think he was Robbed against Big Ben, but I do agree that most of the HW Fighters Over Match him. But he always is a Tough Opponent to Fight.
jae_1833
8/16/08 5:46:24PM
That's probably going to be his first fight.....a rematch with Rothwell.
SmileR
8/16/08 5:54:28PM

Posted by hotrodttt

He'll do Better than people think he will, as I still think he was Robbed against Big Ben, but I do agree that most of the HW Fighters Over Match him. But he always is a Tough Opponent to Fight.

I couldn't agree more. That was a terrible decision.
Twenty20Dollars
8/16/08 6:32:57PM
I wouldnt really want to see him in the UFC anyway.
xphycorx
8/16/08 7:53:20PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

yeah i agree. i really don't think he is a good fighter.
Kracker_Jap
8/16/08 7:54:37PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

prozacnation1978
8/16/08 7:58:37PM
iit must be a easy choice when no one wants you tubby!!
nickcuc547
8/16/08 9:17:42PM

Posted by Porch28

He's going to get destroyed anyway so what does it really matter who he signs with. He'll be a punching bag for the other HW's in Affliction

Hell he'd be a punching bag for the heavyweights in the ufc too, guys a joke, eat another doughnut.
juanez13
8/16/08 10:36:00PM

Posted by lordicast

i thought he was a bright guy till he said " if i can get fedor first ill take it" sounds dumb as hell if u ask me.

Actually, IMO he is one of the dumbest fighters i've seen around.

On Inside MMA he was asked about what he thought about Hendo/Silva and this is what he said:

“Dan Henderson had 12 seconds left and he was looking at the clock when he tapped. I can hold my breath for 12 seconds, you wait it out and come back in the third round.”

I feel stupid having to explain this since it’s Remedial Rogan 101 and even the two idiot Goldbergs understands how it works. But most MMA chokes are blood chokes, they don’t actually stop you from breathing. They just cut the blood off from your brain, which just happens to be kinda sorta more important than breathing. It also means Dan wouldn’t have lasted 12 seconds … he probably wouldn’t have lasted 4 before passing out.

Kpro
8/16/08 10:56:19PM
This thread solidifies my belief that Nelson is the most underrated HW on Earth.
MaxOne
8/17/08 3:50:53AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Word, he beat Ben.
MaxOne
8/17/08 3:57:37AM

Posted by Kpro

This thread solidifies my belief that Nelson is the most underrated HW on Earth.

No Question!
moob
8/17/08 7:21:56AM
I agree that he is underrated too. People put him down because he's out of shape - really out of shape, but he is a solid puncher and has a good chin - he'd pose a threat to most IMO.
JimiMak
8/17/08 1:01:05PM
I don't even think he'd do that well in EXC, in the big leagues he doesn't have what it takes.