IFL Battleground on MyNetwork TONIGHT!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » IFL Battleground on MyNetwork TONIGHT!
Gogoplata
3/12/07 1:50:56PM
2 hour premiere of IFL Battleground on MyNetwork tonight, 8 PM EST.

WAR FREE MMA!
Ydoc
3/12/07 6:24:10PM
Yeah, which could also be listed as "CW," which probably hasn't changed from what it was, your old WB channel.
Ydoc
3/12/07 10:40:46PM
Someone on Sherdog was already talking about it, but promoting MMA by saying "By the end of this show, somebody is going to leave on a stretcher." is just stupid. Just promoting nothing more than bloodlust is not what this sport needs, and trying to use someone being hospitalized as a cliff hanger is low class and amateurish.
Gogoplata
3/13/07 1:03:25PM
I completely agree with how poorly the IFL marketed themselves last night. They made MMA look like nothing more than a glorified toughman contest by saying: "We guarantee someone will leave on a stretcher by the end of the night." Terrible marketing on their part.

As for the fights, they were decent. Wish they would have shown entire rounds instead of cutting it all up to look like they showed the entire fight.

Chris Horodecki and Rory Markham both look impressive, especially with Horodecki only being 18.

Overall, I give the premiere of IFL Battleground a C-, basically due to the way they marketed themselves. They took a step backward for MMA last night.
jdubs
3/13/07 2:09:20PM

Posted by Ydoc

Someone on Sherdog was already talking about it, but promoting MMA by saying "By the end of this show, somebody is going to leave on a stretcher." is just stupid. Just promoting nothing more than bloodlust is not what this sport needs, and trying to use someone being hospitalized as a cliff hanger is low class and amateurish.

just marketing, it kept me watching for 2 hours that could have been spent doing something productive
Gogoplata
3/13/07 5:09:23PM
There's a difference between "just marketing" and taking it over the line, which IFL did last night. MMA is trying to get out of the shadow of being known as "no holds barred" fighting and is trying to make the step toward a legitimate, big time sport.

The IFL chose to advertise someone being taken out on a stretcher to sell their show to audiences. This is a step backward for MMA.
pv3Hpv3p
3/13/07 5:26:09PM
All in all the fights were fun to watch (the editing was unessesary), and even though they seemed to show a lot of commercials, they showed the fights with out breaks, which I liked...

I agree with both of you, that it was really low brow and just plain shitty for the sport to advertise the kid getting hurt in the end, and they kept brining it up again and again... I didn't get it why wouldn't you just show some highlights from the kickass fight you just had on? Or promote the upcoming show?

This isn't world's wildest police video or WWF, and it was detrimental to what a lot of people having been doing to pull our fledgling sport out of the dark ages...

I guess in there defense, it did seemed taylor-made for the ADHD generation, and I guess they can try to attract new fans however they want, but it just seemed like a low blow...

Actually, I was glad that it wasn't as brutal as I thought it was going to be, dude just got caught with a clean right hand counter and went out...

Over all grade I'll give it a C+ / B-
Ydoc
3/13/07 7:14:56PM
Agreed... that was really tacky.

Besides that, I thought it did well in featuring its fighters, especially Rothwell and Horodecki. If they pull a stupid stunt like that I probably won't be watching again.
aceprone
3/14/07 2:30:24AM
I can't wait to see Chris Hordenki in a big show one day. They should some good fights tonight. I never saw the upset with Markham. He got picked apart. You can not question Markham's chin.
migo
3/14/07 5:09:46AM
No grappling showcase. I hope they put more in the later episodes, it can't be good for MMA if they get people just focusing on the standup. Might as well be kickboxing then.
Svartorm
3/14/07 5:42:18AM
This is being replayed on Saturday as well.
pv3Hpv3p
3/14/07 3:00:07PM

Posted by migo

No grappling showcase. I hope they put more in the later episodes, it can't be good for MMA if they get people just focusing on the standup. Might as well be kickboxing then.

I see what you're saying but if they are trying to bring in new fans for the first 'prime-time MMA promotion' showing some wicked KO's is not a bad idea...

If marketed correctly they could slowly bring new fans up to speed, I wouldn't imagine that they have that big of a backlog of old KO's so you'd think they would have to start showing the other fights as well... sooner or later...

I know he has said that he wouldn't fight again, but what do you guys think the chances of getting Bas back in the ring would be??? I would love to see him fight Frank again...
cowcatcher
3/14/07 4:27:42PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by migo

I see what you're saying but if they are trying to bring in new fans for the first 'prime-time MMA promotion' showing some wicked KO's is not a bad idea...

If marketed correctly they could slowly bring new fans up to speed, I wouldn't imagine that they have that big of a backlog of old KO's so you'd think they would have to start showing the other fights as well... sooner or later...

I know he has said that he wouldn't fight again, but what do you guys think the chances of getting Bas back in the ring would be??? I would love to see him fight Frank again...

i agree about wanting to see him fight frank again, or anyone else for that matter, and its been less than a year since his last fight so i dont think its completely ouit of the question. i think now that the IFL seems to be his number 1 concern as far as MMA goes he may get in there just to help promote the organization. IMO he he the most entertaining personality in all of MMA even ahead of rampage and whether he's fighting, broadcasting, or just playing practical jokes on fans and fighters alike he's as good of an ambassador for the sport as anyone.
aceprone
3/14/07 5:53:07PM
On the beatdown today, the owner of the IFL apologized for the way the show was edited and are looking to fix that. It was a good interview. If you get a chance check it out. It will let you give the IFL another chance.
pv3Hpv3p
3/15/07 5:53:29PM

Posted by aceprone

On the beatdown today, the owner of the IFL apologized for the way the show was edited and are looking to fix that. It was a good interview. If you get a chance check it out. It will let you give the IFL another chance.

Good to know that he guy actually cares that much about MMA, and not only the almighty dollar... I kinda figured it was the station (my29 ir whatever) that did the editing and hoped that it wasn't the IFL...

I actually enjoyed the show and will def watch it again... The IFL has a lot of young talent and they did a fine job showcasing them...

That and it seemed that everyother fighter had a Polish last name, so I am a little biased in that aspect, but meh...
migo
3/16/07 12:08:18AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by migo

Sure, some[/i] KOs is good, but pretty much all standup fights not so. They could have shown Renzo finish pat with the Guillotine. At least one fight to give new fans a clue that there's more than standing up and striking.
Svartorm
3/17/07 10:45:12PM
Ok, the recap tonight was actually them explaining who are on the teams and some highlights, but its supposed to be on every Monday from here on out, which is great.