An Idea

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » An Idea
Rush
9/12/07 9:07:32AM
I have an idea.

Over the past several months I've noticed that new threads keep getting made for the same old topics. How about a mod make a series of pinned topics that new people can visit with advice accumulated from the rest of us?

I for one have stopped re-typing things over and over again, and I'm sure I am not the only one.

Here are some suggested pinned topics

Training Log
Strength and Conditioning
Stretching
Cardio
Grappling/Wrestling (technical)
Stand-up (technical)
Injuries (diagnosis and treatment)

What do you guys think?
Stickan
9/12/07 10:11:18AM
I think it's a great idea!
The only problem I see with it is that you would have to skim through the entire thread of strength and conditioning first if you wanted advice on a shoulder exercise for example before you posted the question.
loonytnt
9/12/07 12:19:55PM
yeah and you would get 100-300 posts on each one, and i wanna read frash ideas not posts from a year ago, i think it works the way it is going
Rush
9/12/07 1:24:14PM

Posted by loonytnt

yeah and you would get 100-300 posts on each one, and i wanna read frash ideas not posts from a year ago, i think it works the way it is going

My whole point is that the ideas are not fresh at all. I was always re-typing the same old stuff and got tired of it. I mean, if everyone else wants to keep repeating themselves, by all means go ahead. I really don't have the time/energy to do that.

I highly doubt that there would be even 50 posts in any given topic for a long time. These topics are meant for reference and specific questions, not chatter.

Not only that, if you want 'fresh ideas' just visit the last page of a given thread. Besides, I'm sure you can go back and read all the threads on flexibility in this forum and I'm sure they (for the most part) have the same ideas recycled every time.

Mastodon2
9/12/07 2:57:18PM
I think at least one on stretching is nessacary, its something everyone wants to know about, and everyones questions can be answered in one thread, in only a few FAQ style posts, whereas conditioning, nutrition etc are huge topics with a lot of specific subdivisions that could make it less hassle just to make a new thread rather than trawl a huge sticky.

Obviously its not my call, but one we should really be careful about is a thread on injuries. While some of us on here know a lot more about the science of injuries (the Physiology, what treatments work and why they work etc) than others, none of us are qualified doctors, and even a qualified doctor wouldnt hand out advice on the net.

Such a thread could (knowingly or unknowingly) contravene the "Do no post information grossly in error" (information that may injure or kill someone following it) rule; someone might have an injury, be misdiagnosed by some kid on a different continent and then end up making his injury worse following some bogus treatment, or by following a legitimate kind of treatment that just doesnt fit the injury. When it comes to something serious like injuries, I think it should be left to a proper doctors consultation. Things as complex and variable as injuries and their symptons are impossible to diagnose with complete accuracy and safety over the internet.

Just my 2 pennies
Rush
9/12/07 3:46:19PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Such a thread could (knowingly or unknowingly) contravene the "Do no post information grossly in error" (information that may injure or kill someone following it) rule; someone might have an injury, be misdiagnosed by some kid on a different continent and then end up making his injury worse following some bogus treatment, or by following a legitimate kind of treatment that just doesnt fit the injury. When it comes to something serious like injuries, I think it should be left to a proper doctors consultation. Things as complex and variable as injuries and their symptons are impossible to diagnose with complete accuracy and safety over the internet.

Just my 2 pennies

Which is why (as many of you probably know) I always tell people what I think and then say go see a doctor. Even though I have have so many injuries I need extra paper on patient information forms and I am a grad. student in the faculty of medicine, I am not a doctor and wouldn't give people advice without also advising them to see a doctor.
The-Don
5/16/08 7:41:28PM
I think the idea is great.. Is it possible to have sub catogories? I was on another forum that for instance had a training section.. then in the training area there was a section for GRappling, Striking weight lifting etc.. and then in each of those is where the threads were... Is it possible to do something like that here? The forum I am talking about is... MMAForum.com Its a nice forum but got a little too big.. in fact it was there I learned about this site... if you do go there and join I am The Don there as well some real good posters there and some who compete as well.. in fact a bunch from that site have their own camp here...