Icon Sport Strips Lawler of Title (Due to Inactivity)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Icon Sport Strips Lawler of Title (Due to Inactivity)
wolfman
2/10/08 1:17:30AM

Icon Sport has stripped middleweight champion Robbie Lawler for failing to defend the crown in a timely fashion. The Hawaii-based promotion announced the decision during a Saturday press conference.

http://thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=6251
hotrodttt
2/10/08 1:19:57AM
Wow ! I was really looking forward to Robbie vs Kala Kolohe Hose for the Title fight. That would have been an all out Slugfest.
cowcatcher
2/10/08 2:54:19AM
baroni hose should be a helluva fight, i expect someone to be staring at the ceiling when this one finishes, its just too bad robbie couldnt compete. maybe now its time to bring him back into the ufc fold if possible.
MMAcca
2/10/08 3:27:07AM
Why did Lawler leave the UFC anyway ?
KipDynamite
2/10/08 9:50:33AM
I thought he left UFC because of Franklin. I guess i was just assuming. Lawler will be back and will destroy either of these two guys! I hate Baroni, id love to see Lawler cave his face in!!!
quezocrema0032
2/10/08 10:13:51AM
Wow thats bs ! sherk took years imbetween his fights they never mentioned stripping him ...
postman
2/10/08 1:33:20PM
Sherk was hurt.
wolfman
2/10/08 1:59:50PM

Posted by postman

Sherk was hurt.

Lawler was too.
NatedawgThaM
2/10/08 2:06:37PM
That's BS. Lawler just KO'd Ninja in the summer. He got hurt, big wow. I want to see the owner of ICON become a fighter and get hurt and get stripped of his title that he won. He so stupid.

Your a small organization and you just released your biggest name. Great job retards.
wolfman
2/10/08 2:11:46PM
If I was Lawler, I would have been extremely pissed. I am surprised he took it so well. From the interview, it appears that he was all nonchalant about it. Maybe, he has plans down the road to join another organization?
jae_1833
2/10/08 2:24:05PM
The only fight Icon was offering me was Lawler v Baroni anyways....since Robbie wont fight that hawaiian, then we will have to wait even longer for him to get a shot at Baroni, I think Baroni will get KTFO by Lawler when they finally go at it. Then Lawler needs to head back to the UFC!
wolfman
2/10/08 2:35:05PM

Posted by jae_1833

The only fight Icon was offering me was Lawler v Baroni anyways....since Robbie wont fight that hawaiian, then we will have to wait even longer for him to get a shot at Baroni, I think Baroni will get KTFO by Lawler when they finally go at it. Then Lawler needs to head back to the UFC!

Yeah, I'd love to see Lawler back in the UFC.
BlazinSaddle
2/10/08 3:34:05PM
i think hose woulda beat him if he dosnt gas out, lawler has been more impressive since his old UFC days i think its time for him to just go back to the UFC and build up again
isk
2/10/08 4:19:24PM
I think Icon made the right decision.

Lawler's a sick middleweight - he looks so much bigger than he did when he was cutting down to welterweight and his striking is a lot more disciplined to go along with the power he's always had.

That being said, he was either unlucky or needs to train more intelligently - Icon's been without their champ for 8 months now, and that's too long without a title defense.

Lawler will be back, and in the meantime we should get a good fight between two tough fighters.
postman
2/10/08 5:05:24PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by postman

Sherk was hurt.

Lawler was too.

Oh well then that is BS. What is the deal with Icon and elite XC are they one in the same or do they copromote or am I just lost alltogether.
cowcatcher
2/10/08 5:10:40PM

Posted by postman

Posted by wolfman

Posted by postman

Sherk was hurt.

Lawler was too.

Oh well then that is BS. What is the deal with Icon and elite XC are they one in the same or do they copromote or am I just lost alltogether.

you arent lost, they co-promote
RMFG_187
2/11/08 11:55:33PM
Lawlers MY BOY!!! Great Fighter, sux for this too happen to 2 him, but he brought it on himself. it's not like they didnt offer him any fights in the period he was off.