Iceman should retire...(sadly)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Iceman should retire...(sadly)
POLL: Iceman retires: yay or nay?
Yes, his good days are done. 65% (24)
No, he's coming back...(eventually) 19% (7)
NEVER! Fight to the very end! 16% (6)
madchaodizzys
4/19/09 10:54:01PM
OK, let me first say that Chuck is the man, his achievements speak for themselves. But as much as I love his old fights, lately I've been thinking that he should retire. Switching camps should have been on his to-do list a while ago. Some fighters have a glass jaw,but the Iceman has a glass temple. One good hit to the side of his head, he goes down. The lightning fast flurry of haymakers that were his calling card have been ineffective. Please do not think I'm dissing the guy, but the cold hard facts are not gonna change. There are thousands of die-hard fans who salivate at the thought of an Iceman comeback, myself included. However, to watch this champion slowly fade away like this is just as painful as a loss.
The_Ho_Bag
4/19/09 11:05:07PM

Posted by madchaodizzys

OK, let me first say that Chuck is the man, his achievements speak for themselves. But as much as I love his old fights, lately I've been thinking that he should retire. Switching camps should have been on his to-do list a while ago. Some fighters have a glass jaw,but the Iceman has a glass temple. One good hit to the side of his head, he goes down. The lightning fast flurry of haymakers that were his calling card have been ineffective. Please do not think I'm dissing the guy, but the cold hard facts are not gonna change. There are thousands of die-hard fans who salivate at the thought of an Iceman comeback, myself included. However, to watch this champion slowly fade away like this is just as painful as a loss.

i hate seeing him as a stepping stone . i love the Iceman , the time has come to hang up the gloves my man
sclasclemski
4/19/09 11:11:39PM
Unfortunately it is true...Chuck just can't hang with the top guys anymore...he could continue fighting scrubs like ken Shamrock or go out with some dignity...
NatedawgThaM
4/19/09 11:19:29PM
I want him to do what I wanted Oscar to do, what Bernard Hopkins did before the comeback. I want him to go out on top. BUT, I definitely think he should just retire NOW. I would love it if he fought one last time to go out with a win and fought someone that would trade with him that he could KO but that's way to risky and I don't think anybody wants to see him get KO'd by a B or C level striker. Plus I don't think he has the power to put anyone away anymore.

So Chuck, just retire. Don't take another chance. But I think he should make his choice at UFC 98 so it's a big thing. he deserves it.
Ordep
4/19/09 11:28:52PM
... I see him fighting one more time, to a well recognize name that doesn't represent a serious risk....that would be Mark Coleman, regardless of the Bonnar fight outcome, and it should be in Vegas. Future hall of famer TKOing a hall of famer as his last fight will be perfect for him. Also, that way UFC could " squeeze the bottle" for the last $$ that Liddell can produce from his fan base.
sclasclemski
4/19/09 11:45:34PM
he just fought someone that traded with him and he got ktfo...its not the ideal situation but getting back in the ring again would just start to take away from his legacy...kind of like Coleman and Shamrock are doing in my opinion...
slapshot
4/20/09 1:24:13AM
I dont think its so sad I mean the guy is 40 and can still compete. I think its a good idea to go out now though, like Ive said before, his concussions will only get more frequent with less contact the more he's KO'd the less difficult he is to KO...

I love Chuck so I dont want to see him get hurt.
chickmagnet
4/20/09 1:24:49AM
Its very sad to see this because we all know fighting is his life. He will do anything to get back in that octagon. I truly believed after he lost his belt to Rampage that he would eventually get it back. He is still the man and one of the greatest of all time. If there is anyone who doesn't appreciate everything Chuck has done for this sport, you shouldnt be on the playground, none the less an MMA fan. He is a living legend. Sure he was criticized for his style lately, but when someone is doing a combat sport for this long you just run out of steam. He wont give you any excuses on a loss, he never talks trash, he doesn't taunt, he is gracious, and he is exciting - THAT is why he was the greatest UFC champ, regardless of who he beat, or how long he held that title, he was a true gentelman, champion's shouldn't be trash talkers or taunting showman. They should make his retirement a huge deal, because it will be a very sad day in MMA. Really, think about it. What is the UFC going to be like with out Chuck Liddell.....
Franklinfan47
4/20/09 12:13:02PM
He has earned the right to decide for himself, but I think its time. Like most fans, I dont want to keep watching him get knocked out. Its starting to tarnish his legacy imo, which is still collosal. War Liddell
prozacnation1978
4/20/09 1:54:06PM
he is going down the shamrock path

i say have one last fight and hang them up
might be against a second tier fighter but go out a winner