Iceman Rx: Chuck Liddell vs. Forrest Griffin at UFC 92 (If all goes to plan)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Iceman Rx: Chuck Liddell vs. Forrest Griffin at UFC 92 (If all goes to plan)
grappler0000
8/27/08 7:55:41AM
It’s a mad, mad, mad, mad world — especially for fans of mixed martial arts.

Who could have ever predicted the career of Chuck Liddell would be sandwiched between two contestants from The Ultimate Fighter (TUF)?

Yet that’s exactly what’s happened to the former light heavyweight champion, who’s had an interesting 2008.

Liddell was originally scheduled to face PRIDE assassin Mauricio Rua at UFC 85 until “Shogun” re-injured his ailing knee and was forced to withdraw.

TUF Season 2 winner and undefeated light heavyweight Rashad Evans answered the call to replace Rua, but this time it was Liddell who canceled after a devastating hamstring injury.

Now fully healed, Chuck is set to honor his commitment by battling Rashad Evans at UFC 88 at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Ga., on Saturday, September 6.

At that time of the announcement (June), it was sort of anti-climatic. After all, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson was still the 205-pound champion. Defeating Evans meant a possible autumn superfight against Shogun Rua and not the title shot for which he was hoping.

But boy have things changed since then.

Jackson was narrowly defeated by TUF Season 1 winner Forrest Griffin at UFC 86 and spent some time after the fight ranting and raving on the highway like Dr. Miles Bennell.

And Shogun somehow ended up bypassing Liddell altogether and could go straight to a Jackson rematch (from their PRIDE days) in November/December. That’s assuming he can make it that long without his knee folding up like George Jetson’s car.

So where does that leave the Iceman? In line for a title shot against Forrest Griffin at UFC 92, according to his nutrition company Iceman Rx.

Unless of course “Sugar” Rashad Evans has anything to say about it.

Link
Wolfenstein
8/27/08 8:56:15AM
Stick to protein shakes guys, and leave the expert analysis to...well experts. Next thing you know Rock Star Energy drinks are going to make p4p rankings.
gsquat
8/27/08 10:28:40AM
I love how everyone (even Chuck) is getting so ahead of themselves in assuming that Rashad is just going to fall over limp when the bell rings and Chuck will be on his way to face Forrest. Seriously. It makes for a bigger, better upset when Chuck has his mind everywhere except this fight. Can't wait for everyone's walls to come crashing down.
rabbit915
8/27/08 10:59:51AM
Where is Machida in all of this discussion? If he beats Thiago, i think he is a clear number 1 contender. Well, i think hes a clear number 1 contender right now but that will definately put him over the top.
sparky
8/27/08 11:22:24AM
I cant wait to see everyone's post when chuck is champ again!
Wolf
8/27/08 12:17:34PM

Posted by gsquat

I love how everyone (even Chuck) is getting so ahead of themselves in assuming that Rashad is just going to fall over limp when the bell rings and Chuck will be on his way to face Forrest. Seriously. It makes for a bigger, better upset when Chuck has his mind everywhere except this fight. Can't wait for everyone's walls to come crashing down.

I'm a huge forrest fan, and Machida is the only guy in the division that scares me as an opponent for forrest. So it pains me to admit you're right and that Machida needs the next shot.
jocka
8/27/08 12:45:51PM

Posted by Wolf

Posted by gsquat

I'm a huge forrest fan, and Machida is the only guy in the division that scares me as an opponent for forrest. So it pains me to admit you're right and that Machida needs the next shot.

I honeslty think that Chuck as better chances to beat Forrest than Machida. But if Chuck wins against Rashad he 'll definitly be next in line for the title. He's Dans's boy common now
voodoo-jitsu
8/27/08 12:52:39PM
i think rashad is going to throw a monkey wrench in chuckys plans
haggiswashere
8/27/08 4:22:46PM

Posted by jocka

Posted by Wolf

Posted by gsquat

I honeslty think that Chuck as better chances to beat Forrest than Machida. But if Chuck wins against Rashad he 'll definitly be next in line for the title. He's Dans's boy common now

Well Dana has said he doesn't want mashida as champ so get used to him getting screwed over constantly. Mashida needs to show excitment if he want dana to treat him fairly. Sorry but you gotta get used to it. Money wise Liddell the champ sells better than Mashida champ. Sorry i don't think its fair either
gartface
8/27/08 5:05:57PM

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by jocka

Posted by Wolf

Posted by gsquat

Well Dana has said he doesn't want mashida as champ so get used to him getting screwed over constantly. Mashida needs to show excitment if he want dana to treat him fairly. Sorry but you gotta get used to it. Money wise Liddell the champ sells better than Mashida champ. Sorry i don't think its fair either

Source?
prozacnation1978
8/27/08 8:08:58PM
even if lidell does lose i think evans should face griffin for the belt in dec
jocka
8/27/08 8:47:49PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

even if lidell does lose i think evans should face griffin for the belt in dec

I agree the guy winning this fight has a title fight for sure.

If chucks wins it , well this fight sells itself, the most dominant LHW champion trying to get his belt back.

If Rashad wins it would be to my knowledge the first TUF vs TUF belt match man would that ever promote the tuf show.

Either way its a easy fight to sell...
Bumpy
8/27/08 9:40:23PM
Chuck will take his belt back.
tlangley
8/27/08 10:35:40PM
I'd much rather see Rashad vs Forrest
RMFG_187
8/27/08 10:53:37PM
I will bet Chuck has a better chance of getting KO'd than Rashad. Im still picking Chuck, just by UD. Rashad may not be on his level yet, but hes one tough competitor that shouldnt be taken lightly.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
8/27/08 11:02:32PM
I think whoever gets the more dominating victory out of the 2 fights should get the next title shot.
the 2 fights being chuck and rashad and thiago and lyoto.
Whoever can actually put their oppenent away should get it
haggiswashere
8/27/08 11:14:21PM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

I think whoever gets the more dominating victory out of the 2 fights should get the next title shot.
the 2 fights being chuck and rashad and thiago and lyoto.
Whoever can actually put their oppenent away should get it

If that was the case lyoto wouldn't get the title shot anyways
jocka
8/28/08 10:44:47AM

Posted by RMFG_187

I will bet Chuck has a better chance of getting KO'd than Rashad. Im still picking Chuck, just by UD. Rashad may not be on his level yet, but hes one tough competitor that shouldnt be taken lightly.

I saw a few videos and it looks like Chuck is taking Rashad lightly lol might be a better fight thani though