Ian McCall Ready to Be Done with Demetrious Johnson and Move On to the Title

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Ian McCall Ready to Be Done with Demetrious Johnson and Move On to the Title
prophecy033
6/5/12 12:11:15AM
Rematches are a tough prospect for any athlete, team or organization in any sport, and it’s no different in mixed martial arts.

If you beat someone, it’s hard to go back and duplicate that same performance a second time. But in the case of the UFC on FX 3 headliner between Ian McCall and Demetrious Johnson, they’re going to fight again on June 8 because a few judges in Australia couldn’t quite add a scorecard.

For the first time ever, the UFC installed a “sudden victory” round for a regular event as the flyweight title tournament kicked off in March in the land down under. Essentially the rule was created as a fail safe so in case one of the two tournament bouts ended in a draw, there would be a final fourth round to determine the winner, that way there would be no delay in the tournament being completed.

Link
frizzzlecake
6/5/12 12:30:25AM
Really sucks for McCall too, the third round was a one-sided beating handed down by him. If that fight had a 4th round I strongly believe McCall would have ran away with his ground n pound.

Oh well, this fight is going to be a WAR! Can't wait to see it!
Twenty20Dollars
6/5/12 4:01:33AM
I was ready to be done with it the night of the fight, but here we are.
jjeans
6/5/12 6:16:43AM
What happens if it's a draw? Have they signed to say a sudden death round again?
Twenty20Dollars
6/5/12 11:51:52AM

Posted by jjeans

What happens if it's a draw? Have they signed to say a sudden death round again?

Yes.

And if someone messes up the scorecards again. It's sudden death for them.
DeadHead988
6/5/12 2:09:21PM
It was so clear that McCall won the first time, it's ridiculous that we even need a rematch.
Shawn91111
6/5/12 2:43:09PM

Posted by DeadHead988

It was so clear that McCall won the first time, it's ridiculous that we even need a rematch.

Really? A number of mma publications gave Johnson the first 2 rounds with McCall getting a 10-8 3rd round.
lohmann
6/5/12 3:09:12PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Really? A number of mma publications gave Johnson the first 2 rounds with McCall getting a 10-8 3rd round.

I agree with this. The best Ian McCall could have scored in that fight was a draw; the best Johnson could have scored was a win. (I was highly satisfied with the draw though.)

As for moving on to the title, the winner of the rematch is going to lose in his next match anyway.
gartface
6/5/12 3:11:40PM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Shawn91111

I agree with this. The best Ian McCall could have scored in that fight was a draw; the best Johnson could have scored was a win. (I was highly satisfied with the draw though.)

As for moving on to the title, the winner of the rematch is going to lose in his next match anyway.

Indeed. Joe Benavidez is going to be unstoppable at 125 pounds. He was a whisker away from getting the 135 pound strap, and now that he's at his preferred weight, we'll see the destruction continue after what he did to Urushitani.