How Hungry was Rampage

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » How Hungry was Rampage
TeamDEY
9/26/11 1:46:19PM
I was really displeased with Rampage's performance Sat. I thought he did show good head movement and improved his takedown defense but how really could he have won? After the fight it just seemed he didn't even care. Against Rashad and even Machida he really looked bummed but not at all against Jones. I think all Rampage really cares for now is money. I guess I can't blame him but it's sad to see his spirit gone.
prophecy033
9/26/11 1:48:43PM
Hungry enough for a Whopper but not the onion rings
Pskinner_mma314
9/26/11 2:02:49PM
you know, I know Rampage's past and such and I know it's a bit shady....but to be completely honest, I think Rampage was a really game opponent for Jones in that fight and I really think he was motivated and hungry to win. People keep discrediting Rampage for his lack of effort just cause of his last few fights. Rampage brought more of a fight to Jones than ANYONE has so far.....and he isn't hungry? C'mon lets be real here, Jones was handing him a beating but Rampage put up a F*****G fight and did not back down..........and I'll get flamed for this but I was talkin to people at work about it and they saw this too, so I know I'm not trippin.......at one point during one of the exchanges Bones turned and ran, not backed up, bobbed and weaved, sidestepped.....nothin, turned and F*****G RAN!!!!!

And to the guy that said Rampage was lookin for an easy way outta the beating he was gettin....if that was the case, he prolly woulda quit alot sooner. Jones is impressive as hell and he proved he is the future cause Rampage may not be the most technical or skilled, but he is definitely the toughest SOB at LHW and he took everything from Jones and kept comin forward. Props to Jones for winning a tough fight, props to Rampage for bringin one.

Haters gonna hate
ghandikush
9/26/11 2:30:23PM
I said beforehand that he was a really shitty matchup and a waste of a first fight. Its fine though, I'm sure the UFC wasnt ducking a hard fight though like Rashad....
mrsmiley
9/26/11 2:32:20PM
Rampage has always been in it for the money. Like his old theme song back in Pride said "I'm in it for the money."
Now he can find more money in movies but I don't think he did absolutly terrible against Jones considering he's the man of the moment now. I think what killed it for Jackson more than anything was the crazy reach advantage Jones had against him.

I would think this was a huge learning experince for Jones much in the same way fighting Big Country was for JDS.
grappler0000
9/26/11 2:40:31PM
I'd say Rampage was hungrier than I'd seen him in quite some time. Let me ask you this...who's performance "against" Jon Jones have you been pleased with? I don't think that's a fair way to analyze a performance. Jones has dominated every opponent from bell to bell...and Rampage has done better than most.
ncordless
9/26/11 2:50:45PM
I thought Rampage looked like he was in very good shape. He has never looked the same since he and Juanito split up. His style has become so passive, relying on his awesome defense and ability to slip in the counter. The problem with the match-up with Jones is that while he did block lots strikes and defend takedowns, Jones was either out of range for the counter or he was smart and bailed out before Rampage could do anything.

I think this was the hungriest Rampage we've seen in a while. He's always about the paper, and his biggest paydays would have come had he won back his title. It was just a really bad match-up for him, and I'd be surprised if we ever see him that motivated again because he knows now that as long as Jones has the title he has very little chance of ever regaining it.
ncordless
9/26/11 2:51:14PM

Posted by ghandikush

I said beforehand that he was a really shitty matchup and a waste of a first fight. Its fine though, I'm sure the UFC wasnt ducking a hard fight though like Rashad....

What is it about Rashad that you think matches up better with Jones?
tmas
9/26/11 3:32:05PM

Posted by grappler0000

I'd say Rampage was hungrier than I'd seen him in quite some time. Let me ask you this...who's performance "against" Jon Jones have you been pleased with? I don't think that's a fair way to analyze a performance. Jones has dominated every opponent from bell to bell...and Rampage has done better than most.

i seem to remember a close fight with....The American Psycho
prophecy033
9/26/11 3:39:55PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by ghandikush

What is it about Rashad that you think matches up better with Jones?

His wrestling ability for one
grappler0000
9/26/11 4:30:11PM

Posted by tmas

Posted by grappler0000

That was definitely Jones' worst performance to date. TBH, I almost forgot about that one. Make no mistake though, the fight was not close. Jon gassed near the end of the fight, which made the final round competitive, but Jon dominated the fight to that point.
kingsmasher
9/26/11 4:56:24PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by tmas

Posted by grappler0000

That was definitely Jones' worst performance to date. TBH, I almost forgot about that one. Make no mistake though, the fight was not close. Jon gassed near the end of the fight, which made the final round competitive, but Jon dominated the fight to that point.

Man you cant discredit a fight of Jones...Bonnar is as tough as they come..

Jackson was in the best shape of his career...He cut 7 pounds for this fight and trained in the altitude...

Leave it to the fans who more than likely picked Rampage to give him excuses...Rampage said himself Jones is the real deeal...Its funny nobody saw that in the Rua fight...

Jones only contests are at HW...Or if Daniel Cormier came down in weight that would be a great fight...its gonna take a better wrestler and theres not one at 205...He has great TDD...His big feet make his balance like BJ Penn...

Go watch all his fights and get back to me...NObody can beat him on teh feet with his reach at 205...
Chael_Sonnen
9/26/11 7:22:38PM

Posted by prophecy033

Hungry enough for a Whopper but not the onion rings

Yeah, he looked pretty full to me.
prozacnation1978
9/26/11 7:42:23PM
I was suprised how many fans thought rampage was gonna win
I never thought he would last 4 rounds
SpiderSilva
9/26/11 8:06:22PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

me either. odds even showed rd 2 as the rd jackson would be finished by jones. It was one of those pick with your heart fights. you wonna think rampage could win but you brain knows jones would win.
Chael_Sonnen
9/26/11 8:48:32PM

Not only that, I couldn't believe how many peeps actually thought Rampage was gonna knock Jones out

When was the last time Rampage actually knocked somebody out? Bueller.....Bueller.....Bueller.......Bueller.
kingsmasher
9/27/11 10:29:06AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Not only that, I couldn't believe how many peeps actually thought Rampage was gonna knock Jones out

When was the last time Rampage actually knocked somebody out? Bueller.....Bueller.....Bueller.......Bueller.

I said that too..When the last KO for Rmapage...Lidell and Silva...both who were KOed by guys in lower weight classes at some point...IN all actuality...I know I will get grief but Rampage might hit hard but he doesnt use all his strength when he punches...I am not sure but I dont think he he uses his hips correctly...He seems really stiff when he swings like hes worried about being hit but I will say the way he swings is perfect for keeping his balance but he losees power...I eman he hit Jardine pretty clean...Knocked him down but not out...

Rampage is entertaining and sells himself well but he is the fedor of LHW...Has not evolved since Pride..
Aether
9/27/11 6:25:00PM
I was the one who said that I thought Rampage gave up. I don't see how a fighter of that level gets RNCed so easily without making any attempt to tuck his chin, "answer the phone" to block the arm, pull the arm away, or anything.

I really think he had enough and quit when Jones offered him an easy out.
Pookie
9/27/11 8:27:09PM
I think he might have made it to a decision had the fight not been in denver.

Rampage showed up to that fight in phenomenal shape, i think he was in it to win it, but just didn't have the tools.