Humble in UFC 135 defeat, 'Rampage' Jackson hopes for 'Shogun' Rua in Japan

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Humble in UFC 135 defeat, 'Rampage' Jackson hopes for 'Shogun' Rua in Japan
Budgellism
9/25/11 10:48:07AM
For former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (32-9 MMA, 7-3 UFC), there are no excuses.

He admits that he was as ready as ever for a UFC 135 contest with UFC champ Jon Jones (14-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC), but "Bones" simply proved the better man with a fourth-round submission victory.

So now, it's time to move on. Well, at least past Jones. For his next move, Jackson would like to meet an old friend in a familiar setting.

"[Jackson] and I just talked about [fighting 'Shogun' Rua in Japan] when he was back there getting stitched up," UFC president Dana White said at Saturday's post-event press conference. "[Rua] is fighting Dan Henderson in San Jose, so we'll see what happens there.

"What Rampage said to me was, 'I want to fight in that Japan fight.' I said, 'Cool.' I'm never going to argue with you when you tell me you want to fight."

Jackson and Rua (20-5 MMA, 4-3 UFC), of course, have a history together. The two first squared off in April 2005 in a middleweight grand prix bout under the PRIDE banner. The contest, which was held in Osaka, Japan, ended with Rua earning a devastating TKO via soccer kicks.

LINK
Budgellism
9/25/11 11:23:05AM
Joe Silva, please make this fight.
Twenty20Dollars
9/25/11 11:28:42AM
Cept Shogun has the Hendo fight.
Budgellism
9/25/11 11:34:56AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Cept Shogun has the Hendo fight.

There's three months in between events. If (and it's a pretty big if) Shogun doesn't take any damage in the Hendo fight this could happen realistically.
postman
9/25/11 11:43:23AM
I just see Shogun eating Rampages legs up.
Poor_Franklin
9/25/11 12:41:34PM

Posted by postman

yup
sbulldavid
9/25/11 1:29:34PM
What ever happened to them kicks ? They are a rare site in his last two fights.
Manak
9/25/11 2:20:24PM

Posted by sbulldavid

will rampage ever learn to check leg kicks?
FastKnockout
9/25/11 2:25:42PM
If the Shogun fight doesn't happen, I'd like to see a rematch with Griffin.
Aether
9/25/11 3:06:41PM
everyone else has already said what I was thinking.

If Rampage doesn't learn to check leg kicks, Shogun will just destroy his legs and then maul him when he has no mobility.
prozacnation1978
9/25/11 3:06:58PM
I would rather see thiago silva vs page in japan
prophecy033
9/25/11 3:20:43PM

Posted by postman

that should be the first thing to Target. It takes away his punching power and takedowns.

This is what people are talking about when they say Rampage hasn't evolved. When your weak in a certain area, you work on it until your no longer weak in said area. Rampage hasn't done that and now it is a big red Target for anyone that can throw kicks
bjj1605
9/25/11 11:10:58PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by postman

that should be the first thing to Target. It takes away his punching power and takedowns.

This is what people are talking about when they say Rampage hasn't evolved. When your weak in a certain area, you work on it until your no longer weak in said area. Rampage hasn't done that and now it is a big red Target for anyone that can throw kicks

why do you keep capitalizing "target"? Are you talking about the store??

Anyway.... I agree with the consensus. Also, if Shogun beats Hendo, he needs to fight for the title again. If he loses and takes no damage, I'd be ok with this fight.
ghandikush
9/26/11 4:22:51AM
No leg kick, just gonna get ktfo with hogun punches.
airkerma
9/26/11 10:32:01AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I would rather see thiago silva vs page in japan

Or how about T Silva fighting at all again. I think he is still a top lhw
Boo_Radley21
9/26/11 10:39:54AM
I've been waiting for this one for a long time. Anybody else think there are a lot of rematches coming up in Rampages future?

Shogun - Rampage will get his revenge
Forrest - One of the best fights I've ever watched and Im sure Rampage would like to avenge a close loss
Henderson - Their first fight was awesome and now that he's back in the UFC why not go again?
Rashad - I really wanna see Rampage KO him

...all these are very realistic matches and all of them are fights that I would love to see.
ghandikush
9/26/11 1:10:45PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Shogun has been focusing on timing his punches I think. His kicks didnt get him anywhere against Lyoto in their first fight.
KungFuMaster
9/26/11 5:45:13PM
I like to see this fight again and this time I think Rampage takes it via KO.

Please make this fight happen so I can relive the old days of Pride.