Human Weapon...good/bad?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Human Weapon...good/bad?
keeck
7/22/07 8:36:37PM
How did you guys like the Muay Thai premiere show?
jnjjacob
7/22/07 10:01:09PM
Good!
I really like how they look at different techniques as well as the history behind each one.
blkssncpt
7/22/07 10:18:27PM

I think i was pretty good, i thought how they went in to history and then the different techniques was great, i cant wait to see to rest of the episodes and wat other fighting stlyes they do
pv3Hpv3p
7/26/07 4:48:16PM
Thought the show was great... Can't wait for the next episode... Anyone remember what style it was going to showcase?
szucconi
7/26/07 5:07:16PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Thought the show was great... Can't wait for the next episode... Anyone remember what style it was going to showcase?

I think it was an Indonesian weapons style next. I liked the show a lot. It could be better, but at least when I tell people that I am going to Muay Thai class then they might know what I am talking about. I think that there over view of the techniques was to brief and the MMA guy called Muay Thai “Human cock fighting” in the beginning. I thought a little over the top in some places. For example, the double fist technique based on the movement of monkeys. What is the deal with that?
bayonetxwork
7/26/07 6:42:22PM
wo wo wo, there is a muay thai show?
Mastodon2
7/26/07 6:55:26PM
Did anyone see that National Geographic documentary about the strongest Martial arts?

Muay Thai straight knee from the clinch (Khao Dtrong) was the most powerful strike of all they tested, causing chest compression equal to a 35mph car crash!

They didnt test the MT Roundhouse kick, I think that may have beaten i, had they tested it, but the tests were otherwise extensive.

MUAY THAI!

SZCONNI:

The "monkey movement" you are talking about is feature of many Muay Thai techniques, which were developed by watching animals

for example there is the "Monkey Grabs star" a downwards elbow strike like a monkey grabbing a fruit (or a star)

Others include "Elephant's tusk sweep" and "Elephant Crossing world", an arcing elbow strike, like the arc of an elephant crossing the world by the poles.

If you watch Ong Bak, at the beginning when Jaa's character is training in his village, he is doing a form, and it includes many of the animal techniques, watch his movements and match them with the names (he speaks them as he performs them) and notice how the technique is similar to something a Thai person may see an animal doing.
StorminYourman
7/27/07 12:51:11AM

Posted by keeck

How did you guys like the Muay Thai premiere show?

Freakin awsome.It had stuff for the casual and educated fan.
szucconi
7/27/07 10:49:30AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Did anyone see that National Geographic documentary about the strongest Martial arts?

Muay Thai straight knee from the clinch (Khao Dtrong) was the most powerful strike of all they tested, causing chest compression equal to a 35mph car crash!

They didnt test the MT Roundhouse kick, I think that may have beaten i, had they tested it, but the tests were otherwise extensive.

MUAY THAI!

SZCONNI:

The "monkey movement" you are talking about is feature of many Muay Thai techniques, which were developed by watching animals

for example there is the "Monkey Grabs star" a downwards elbow strike like a monkey grabbing a fruit (or a star)

Others include "Elephant's tusk sweep" and "Elephant Crossing world", an arcing elbow strike, like the arc of an elephant crossing the world by the poles.

If you watch Ong Bak, at the beginning when Jaa's character is training in his village, he is doing a form, and it includes many of the animal techniques, watch his movements and match them with the names (he speaks them as he performs them) and notice how the technique is similar to something a Thai person may see an animal doing.

I have no problem with moves based, or at least related to animal movement, but the one I am talking about seemed a little ineffective and they made it look silly. Later in the show, they discounted the move and said it wasn't effective in competition or in combat.
pv3Hpv3p
7/27/07 11:15:56AM

Posted by szucconi

I have no problem with moves based, or at least related to animal movement, but the one I am talking about seemed a little ineffective and they made it look silly. Later in the show, they discounted the move and said it wasn't effective in competition or in combat.

I think that was just part of them showing some of the history and how deeply MT is ingrained in the culture of Thialand... They knew it would be discounted at the end of the show (after all it was edited at some point) just my 0.02$
waylon_o
7/27/07 11:38:29AM
I thought it was an excellent show. The hosts didn't get on my nerves too bad either. The show tonight is going to be about Eskrima in the Philipines. For those of you that have missed it, BOTH episodes are scheduled to be replayed Sunday. Don't know what time though.
Rush
7/27/07 11:48:42AM
I like the monkey steals the peach technique

szucconi
7/27/07 10:57:33PM

Posted by Rush

I like the monkey steals the peach technique

I saw this photo in a book at the library. It was a Ninjutsu book. very funny
DJDark41
7/27/07 11:18:25PM
I watched an episode today(not the new one)and it was pretty good. The episode where the skinny guy was fighting a Muay Thai champ. He did pretty good, and it was definitly better then watching WWE Smackdown.
mmamax
8/1/07 6:10:46PM
good Show
Evilwig
10/23/07 10:42:07AM
The episode about the savate is one of the best. They give a really cool rundown and historical story of savate. Worth watching....