Hughes vs. Serra

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Hughes vs. Serra
MattHughesRules
1/29/09 10:14:53AM
I am obviously a huge Hughes fan (see handle) and I have been a little nervous about this fight. I feel like this is a fight Hughes should win with relative ease but if he were ever to lose it would be a HUGE black mark on a great career. In the end I think Serra will have trouble defending the takedown (if he even wants to) and once Hughes gets him to the ground he will dominate with his power and wrestling skills. He should finish him by G&P, and hopefully in devestating fashion. How does everyone else see it?
Franklinfan47
1/29/09 10:34:39AM
I agree that Hughes will probably win this with wrestling and GNP, but I don't think he'll be able to finish him in this way, and get the decision, similar to his fight with Lytle.
mentalcase
1/29/09 10:47:51AM
agreed, serra has only sub one guy in the ufc, and hughes has very good bjj serras only chance to win is an unlikely tko like against gsp
ill pick hughes for a safe UD
copcopps
1/29/09 11:18:02AM
Despite Matt being over the hill, I think he takes this and retires on a winning note

War Illinois Multi-Class Farmboy/Annoying Coach from TUF
wiggum
1/29/09 11:26:46AM
i will be rooting for serra, i am a huge hughes hater, always have been....but ive got hughes winning by dec (bet with your head not your heart right?)......serra really belongs as a lw......striking i give to serra, his technique, while is good but not great, is still better than hughes....serra has more power, better footwork and head movement, while he uses good 2-3 strike combos (that tend to leave him open for the takedown tho)...hughes striking is textbook, powerless, poor foot and headmovement, very stationary, but it has improved over the years....wrestling is obvious, serras takedown d isnt the greatest either..its good not great, and even tho hughes has lost a step there, he still can dominate most in that department....clinch i give to hughes, havent seen serra do much in there and hughes can set up good takedowns when hes in clinch......on the ground, whoever has top control will win the ground batte...and my money is on hughes since he has the "wrestlers control" as i like to call it, and he is actually very underated in the bjj department, plus he made a career out of g n p.....serra on the otherhand, given he has a stellar grappling background and a very legit black belt in bjj, i think is overated in this department....as pointed out many times, he doesnt have all that many subs on his ledger and if you look at those fights that he did get the sub, he got it from utilizing top control, which he is most likely gonna have an extremely tough time doing against hughes since hughes is hard to takedown and serras takedowns are weak, and hughes is hard as hell to sweep too....off his back serra doesnt do much, so i dont see him getting a sub from the bottom....gas tank goes to hughes, hes trained for many a 5 round batttle and gone to decisions in some, while serra at ww has a poor gas tank......so in the end, i dont think hughes will tko or sub serra and most likely will booringly take it to a decision while inflicting little damage....but, if serra wins, it will be from the standing position, dropping him and finishing him off, cuz that boy has got some power in one punch..not only in the gsp fight but in the first rd vs karo he dropped the hell out of him!.....in the end im not really lookin forward to this fight, it has all the makings to be boring (but ya never know!) the hype alone is selling this one
seanfu
1/29/09 1:07:37PM
I want to see Hughes rematch Hallman before he retires, still really marketable as an opener or big free main event on a fight night on spike. A want Hughes to get that off his record.
ToeZup
1/29/09 1:08:55PM
I'll take Hughes in this one. You guys pretty much covered why. It should be a good fight.
RhythmAndStyle
1/29/09 1:24:03PM
seriously i think Serra gonna win this one..if you have notice in Hughes last couple of fights..he hasn't been able to take down his opponents..since he depends on his strenght..and with Hughes aging..his dependance on his muslce won't hold out on someone like Serra..and he has been showin that since Hughes been tryin his hand at the strikin game..and with Serra comin into the match with a good bjj background and heavy hands..Serra should be able to do alot of damage to Hughes..you can't depend on strenght and quickness to get you through your entire career..fighters with better technique will win..Hughes has his entire career built on takin his opponent down and beat em' up..but with age..he has slowed down and his strenght isn't all there..Serra will take this one by the 1st or 2nd round...
casey64
1/29/09 5:26:24PM
I'm gonna say Matt by sub or dec.
Drudinh
1/30/09 3:22:45AM
Hughes will GNP Serra for the win
lohmann
1/30/09 5:42:57AM
Don't like either guy, even if Hughes's ego is well-deserved.

Serra will win the first round because the aging Hughes will have trouble with his takedowns early in the fight against a fresh Serra, but as the fight crawls on they'll get a little easier. I see a UD, 29-28 for the legend.
aaa9erh8er
1/30/09 11:17:38AM

Posted by lohmann

Don't like either guy, even if Hughes's ego is well-deserved.

Serra will win the first round because the aging Hughes will have trouble with his takedowns early in the fight against a fresh Serra, but as the fight crawls on they'll get a little easier. I see a UD, 29-28 for the legend.